The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

Razzmatazz13 10-24-2007 11:54 PM

Yeah Ibs....you need to get better man...

so you can post more cute photos of that haircut! :D

Ibby 10-25-2007 12:14 AM

WHOOOOOSH

what was that sound you ask?
the sound of things going RIGHT over datalyss's head, my dear!

Drax 10-25-2007 04:32 AM

Explain.

Ibby 10-25-2007 05:01 AM

UG said:
You're a nicer kid than you know.
I said:
I'm not
You said:
Oh yes you are!

But my point was that I know JUST how nice a kid I am because nobody thinks higher of me than me.
JEEEEZ everything gets SO unfunny when you gotta go ES'PLAIN it all!

oh, yeah, and im starting to feel better this evening too.

Sundae 10-25-2007 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 399174)
*grins* oh yeah. Today was the big day. For the next few months we have all out war

Well it's out of your hands now - I still believe it was the right thing to do. Good for you, bring it on! :jig:

DanaC 10-25-2007 06:10 AM

*chuckles* Thatnks:) I do think its the right thing to do...I also think it's very dangerous politically and might damage a)me, b) the local party, c) our chances at the next council elections.

But...I'm the Women's Officer for this CLP and I'm damned if I'm going to just ignore him in the hope he'll move onto some other comrade; likely female and likely new to the party and politically inexperienced, or a long time member who's in a vulnerable state of mind (i.e one woman who, whilst sitting in her car in the hospital carpark, with her husband dangerously ill in intensive care, was treated to a 15 minute haranguing phone conversation with him accusing her of all sorts of stuff and threatening her with dire consequences after she'd opposed him on something).

I honestly don't see how I can do that. The fact he's also my political enemy and a leading voice in the other faction, frankly that's just gravy and makes the decision a little easier (in some ways). If this man was in my faction I'd take him to one side and explain in no uncertain terms that he has to stop or I'll take action. And I would be true to my word on that.

Tonight is the Local Government Committee (LGC, lot of confusingly similar acronyms in political parties:P) the body that liaises between the two local labour parties and the unified authority they both send councillors to. The man I've lodged the complaint against has this particular body sewn-up. It's going be a fairly unpleasant meeting. Friday is the General Committee, on which we have the edge on numbers and a sympathetic (read best friend and supporter) Chair. They will dig up every last half dead delegate for that and do everything to disrupt. That also is likely to be an unpleasant meeting.

Then there's an executive once a month, a General committee every month and an LGC every month.....basically, if we have reached a ceasefire by New Year I'll be very surprised.

Then there's the Council Group. I have one friend I trust absolutely and two I like but who blow with the wind. Its a group of eleven, one of whom I have just lodged a complaint about, another who is his best friend and Group Leader.....and the Leader's wife, the Group Chair...their decades long friend the Group Whip, and their other decades long friend the Group Secretary....We meet as a group once a month.

I suspect by Christmas I'll have unwittingly achieved the infamous Size Zero. *chuckles*

Cicero 10-25-2007 11:59 AM

This is hard Dana...you must get stressed and not eat like me. If you don't eat, you don't think correctly. You know that and I know that. To win your war you must take care of number 1 properly. There's a time to fight your battle but there is another Dana, that needs her to be there for her, and her immediate needs. Those take priority.

#1 Food.
#2 Rest- think outside of the box whilst drifting off. Fantasize.
#3 Soak your feet in hot water, then lotion and massage, and relax.
#4 Imagination (butterflys in the valley maybe) + #2
#5 Sex
#6 Don't let the negative ass get into your head...if he does anyway, well.....turn his voice into that of Mickey Mouse.

Hey- get happy. That will piss off your enemy. Go to a picure show. I bet you have some free time to show yourself a good time.
:D

You make me proud Dana....gutsy. I like it. :D

Don't forget to celebrate the tiny battles in the war!!

Drax 10-25-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 399357)
But my point was that I know JUST how nice a kid I am because nobody thinks higher of me than me.

Maybe so, but none of us know how highly you think of yourself, which why we're trying to help.

Quote:

oh, yeah, and im starting to feel better this evening too.
I suppose if you wait long enuf, things just heal themselves.

limey 10-25-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datalyss (Post 398798)
I wish my mom would get off my damn back about my damn TV volume. I always try to keep the level down off enough as not to bother them, but...well...and most TVs now-a-days don't have a front panel earphone jack.

Can't you listen to the TV with headphones at sensitive times?

Drax 10-25-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 399508)
Can't you listen to the TV with headphones at sensitive times?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datalyss
...most TVs now-a-days don't have a front panel earphone jack.

:rolleyes:

Aliantha 10-25-2007 06:59 PM

Get a longer cord?

DanaC 10-25-2007 07:31 PM

@ Cic. Sound advice mate. Lot of friends telling me the same.

I am much more relaxed tonight. Tomorrow will be hard, but I have managed to spend several hours today just quietly pottering about doing wardwork, and went and had a pub lunch with a mate. I think the stress levels have started to die down as I have committed to the course of action. What I always find difficult is waiting and indecision. Having to wait until I knew exactly who could be there and who could guarantee to be there for the next 3 meetings etc, before finalising my decision, that was stressing me most of all I think. Now I am sure of my course. It might succeed, it might flounder, but it's the course I am on and I'll live with it. Was still a tad stressed last night regarding a comrade who seemed annoyed at me in the meeting and I wasn't sure why. He voted with us, but I could tell smething was up and he's someone whose opinion matters a lot to me (a ward colleague, the councillor I trust). I had one of those flashes of realisation at 2 am and knew exactly why he'd been annoyed: I had been working on the assumption that since my friend *** had been ringing aound as well as me and had talked to him, that she had filled him in on the details (details were kept sketchy from all but 3 people until the day before) and she'd been working on the assumption that I had...I realised at 2am, that my colleague had walked into that room without knowing what was about to happen. All he knew, was that I was going to do something and I needed his support.

God bless him he gave that support and voted with us, but that was a horrible position to put him in and that kept me awake for the rest of the night. He's a good man, straight down the line, no games. So...I knew I had to make things right with him and I think he had every right to be very angry. Hence was fully prepared to grovel. Tried calling him in the morning several times, no reply.

He evengtually got back to me at about 3pm and accepted my explanation and apology without rancour, bless him. He's concerned about the route I've taken, but fully supports me. Once I had that sorted out I felt fine. Went to tonight's meeting, which was a tough one, though not relating to the complaint, and it didn't bother me much. I have a handle on this I think. Tomorrow will be stressful, but it's a different and altogether less consuming type of stress.

Thanks for the advice and ra ras guys. Means a lot to me.

*smiles*

rkzenrage 10-26-2007 01:03 AM

Seems like CA is dealing with another serial arsonist like the early 90's :(

ZenGum 10-26-2007 01:10 AM

A minor gripe but ...
The last two IotDs were great, but I haven't (yet) been able to come up with any witty posts about either. This is particularly getting me down because these are right in my field. I have started threads about horny moose and wacky Japanese stuff. Yet, with a laughably horny moose, and some seriously twisted Japanese stuff... I got nuttin.
I feel I am letting myself, and the cellar, down. I am very sorry. Between laughing.

Aliantha 10-26-2007 01:17 AM

You should be ashamed! That's really poor form. No wonder you're upset.

ZenGum 10-26-2007 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 399731)
You should be ashamed! That's really poor form. No wonder you're upset.

Thanks for your support in this difficult time :p

I am compensating by imagining what would have happened if the moose had found, not a buffalo statue, but the giant Pikachu ...

Aliantha 10-26-2007 04:34 AM

Lots of men compensate by imagining things that are just never going to happen. It appears that you're no exception. ;)

ZenGum 10-26-2007 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 399797)
Lots of men compensate by imagining things that are just never going to happen. It appears that you're no exception. ;)

To which I can only reply: :p !!!

(Oh, and Mills and Boon novels are all that different, are they?)

Aliantha 10-26-2007 04:53 AM

no, they're not very different at all. In fact, I can explain the whole plot of any one of them to you right now.

Did you know that all the authors have a formula that they have to follow?

ZenGum 10-26-2007 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 399810)
no, they're not very different at all. In fact, I can explain the whole plot of any one of them to you right now.

Did you know that all the authors have a formula that they have to follow?

Err, I was trying to communicate that women's imaginings were similar to men's, but perhaps with a little more plot and fewer identical-twin-Swedish-exchange-students-scenarios.

Not that M&B are all much the same.

I think you may have had enough wine now, ma'am.

Aliantha 10-26-2007 05:10 AM

yes I know that's what you were doing, and I was just agreeing with you.

god you're annoying. lol

ZenGum 10-26-2007 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 399818)
yes I know that's what you were doing, and I was just agreeing with you.

god you're annoying. lol

By M&B's formula it is now inevitable that we will eventually get it on :lol: .... hope your hubby doesn't mind! :shotgun:

so, back on thread ... I'm what's upsetting you today, huh? :(

Aliantha 10-26-2007 05:24 AM

No, you haven't annoyed me that much. I wouldn't say you're 'infuriating' which is a prerequisit for a M&B romance. Hubby probably wont mind too much since you live in another country.

You're entertaining me today. I probably should talk to you in another thread.

DanaC 10-27-2007 06:42 AM

*sighs* The two Js have fallen out. Had a screaming row and are both now upset. He's been prickly as an old army blanket just lately and picking fights with everyone. I can see him sabotaging good friendships and a good relationship and it really upsets me. I know him better than anybody else, but that means I also know it's pointless trying to get him to see what he's doing. He is absolutely adamant that the aggression, or hostility, or lack of respect etc comes from them first. Any attempt to calm him down and get him to see that his good friend hasn't just started raising their voice at him out the blue for no reason, just makes him feel that you are taking their side, and are just not seeing what he's had to put up with. Cannot see his part in provoking those reactions in people, goes off feeling like the whole world's against him, and that now even his friends don't like him...*heavy sigh* which is of course not true.

Had a text convo with her and haven't spoken to him yet. She clearly understands where he's coming from, but that doesn't make it any easier at the time the row erupts. Having lived with him for 12 years I know the patterns of those rows. She tells me her side of it it's like hearing myself talking to mum back in my 20s. Want to hug her. Want to hug and slap him.

Sundae 10-27-2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 400327)
Want to hug her. Want to hug and slap him.

It's worth a try...
Ah well, perhaps it's all for the best. You can't stop other people from making their own mistakes anyway.

DanaC 10-27-2007 12:54 PM

(male) J is spiralling down. I don't know how far he'll go. He walked out on her today after picking a further fight. She knows what it's about, as do I. Something from his past he thought he had finished dealing with has reared its head. Complicated, family stuff. Ihaven't seen him like this for....god nine years maybe? It isn't like when we were splitting up, this is a deeper, much older pain.

He won't talk to her about it. Said there's no point, left her in a state and went home. he is trying to deal with it I know, by removing himself from everybody that matters so he can't hurt them whilst he is getting to grips with his issues.

Damnit, he'd got away from this. Found a way he could reconcile himself to the past. Now he's fucking back in that place again. Breaks my heart. Breaks my heart to hear my friend Female J, so wildly upset she is hyperventilating, and can't actually talk when she's phoned me.

I talked her down. I think. She knows what he's dealing with. Butthe whole thing sets off nasty resonances with an old relationship and the hurts she suffered there.

They'll sort it out. But I hate knowing that she's heartbroken and he's in hell.

Cicero 10-27-2007 01:58 PM

Wow Dana...Is this your ex-husband?

DanaC 10-27-2007 02:37 PM

Ex-partner. We're the same age and we lived together from 18 - 30. He is my oldest and dearest friend. His girlfriend is my closest female friend.

Cicero 10-27-2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 400461)
Ex-partner. We're the same age and we lived together from 18 - 30. He is my oldest and dearest friend. His girlfriend is my closest female friend.

I just wrote a long and involved reponse with yet another anecdote....ok...that's twice.. now it's three times...Jesus...I will just say that I am on the receiving end of that kind of situation like female J.

Just don't let her (female J) think that anything about it is her fault, or the cycle continues. She probably didn't even trigger it. No sense in creating new ghosts while just trying to let go of the old.

Well...I'm going to try and keep it in mind myself.

The going is about to get tough.

DanaC 10-27-2007 05:54 PM

*nods* that's pretty much been my tack.

Thing is...I used to be the one dealing with that and this has sent me back to places I didn't want to be.

Fuck. Fuck this feeling of utter helplessness in the face of his overwhelming pain.

LabRat 10-30-2007 01:06 PM

Good News: Diagnosis for my lung issues.
Bad News: severe bronchitis/borderline pneumonia
Bad News: need to quit running if I don't want it to turn into full blown pneumonia (deep breathing draws infection deeper into air sacs)
Mixed News: got my period late last week, but that's actually OK, because the Leviquin for my chest can't be taken if your knocked up. Should be off the antibiotic before prime baby making time this month.

Sigh.

DanaC 10-30-2007 02:22 PM

*hugs* poor you LabRat. Take the medical advice and avoid running. You'll be back on the baby making horse (so to speak) before you know it.

bluecuracao 10-30-2007 05:18 PM

That's horrible, LR. Please take care of yourself--I suggest you stay in bed as much as possible, and keep very warm until you're completely better. Pneumonia is nasty, nasty stuff.

DucksNuts 10-30-2007 05:40 PM

Oh LR, I just got over pneumonia...its a bitch.

Hope you can get over the bronchitis and it doesnt turn into pneumonia.

DucksNuts 10-30-2007 05:42 PM

This is kinda weird, but whats upsetting me is I just hired a cleaner for my house and I hate that she will be cleaning my mess!!

I'm really OC about mess, and am a bit freaked that someone else will be *cleaning* my house.

She's just gonna be washing the floors, vacuuming and stuff...but still....

lookout123 10-30-2007 05:56 PM

feel better LR. p-no-mia sucks.

on a much less upsetting level (only irritating): In setting up my business I cast a skeptical eye and the big boom in office condo buildings so chose not to buy one and am only renting space within an upscale suite of offices. overall, it is absolutely fantastic except the guy who owns the place has the office on the end which gets the setting sun and warms up a little bit. His solution is of course to crank the AC from noon on. As I type, my fingers are absolutely numb. i'm in the freaking desert. my door leads outside where it is 85. i'm freezing here.

lookout123 10-30-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts (Post 401715)
This is kinda weird, but whats upsetting me is I just hired a cleaner for my house and I hate that she will be cleaning my mess!!

I'm really OC about mess, and am a bit freaked that someone else will be *cleaning* my house.

She's just gonna be washing the floors, vacuuming and stuff...but still....

but what is she going to be wearing? french maid outfit? something even better? give us the important info ducks. :D

HungLikeJesus 10-30-2007 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 401731)
feel better LR. p-no-mia sucks.

on a much less upsetting level (only irritating): In setting up my business I cast a skeptical eye and the big boom in office condo buildings so chose not to buy one and am only renting space within an upscale suite of offices. overall, it is absolutely fantastic except the guy who owns the place has the office on the end which gets the setting sun and warms up a little bit. His solution is of course to crank the AC from noon on. As I type, my fingers are absolutely numb. i'm in the freaking desert. my door leads outside where it is 85. i'm freezing here.

Maybe you can just open the door.

lookout123 10-30-2007 06:02 PM

oh. damn...

just kidding, i tried that. the air actually kicks on if i do that (defeats the purpose) and I pick up road noise. eh, I'll live, i'm just bitching.

Aliantha 10-30-2007 06:08 PM

My husband is away till Sunday and I'm due to ovulate in 2 days time. That's the bad news.

The good news is we had a quicky before he left this morning, so hopefully he's got some long lived sperm. lol I've even heard that the 'girl' sperm do live longer and so if you'd like a girl (which we would) you should have sex 2 to 3 days prior to ovulation so only 'girl' sperm are left alive. I don't know if that's really true or not, but I'm going to console myself with it at this point.

lookout123 10-30-2007 06:12 PM

is it just me or has there been a little more ovulation talk in the cellar lately?

bluecuracao 10-30-2007 06:20 PM

I believe you're right. Hey, maybe it'll overwhelm the recurrence of undocumented immigrant bashing we've also been having lately.

A girl can dream...

Aliantha 10-30-2007 06:21 PM

it's probably because a couple of us are trying to get up the duff with little success.

I think I've only posted one or two comments about my situation though.

Sorry if it bothers anyone.

Clodfobble 10-30-2007 06:27 PM

Lookout, there's a very simple solution: get a piece of cardboard and duct tape it over the air vent(s). Leave a small slot as necessary to regulate how much air you actually need to get through. I did this in my old office and it worked great. Use clear packing tape if you want to avoid looking ghetto in front of clients.

ElBandito 10-30-2007 06:35 PM

Today the train I was riding on broke down on the way to work. It got as far as Ngarunga Gorge Station, jerked forwards and backwards a bit and then farted and died. The rush-hour commuters sat there for 30 minutes, reading, listening to ipods and looking at the waves in Wellington City Harbour. Woohoo.

Late for work. Again.

And I was doing so well.

lookout123 10-30-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 401762)
Lookout, there's a very simple solution: get a piece of cardboard and duct tape it over the air vent(s). Leave a small slot as necessary to regulate how much air you actually need to get through. I did this in my old office and it worked great. Use clear packing tape if you want to avoid looking ghetto in front of clients.

my brain must be frozen. i was seriously trying to figure out how cardboard and duct tape applied to ovulation. i've done some pretty unusual things, but...

good idea though.

DucksNuts 10-30-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 401732)
but what is she going to be wearing? french maid outfit? something even better? give us the important info ducks. :D

Meh, you dont want her wearing it....but I would be happy to oblige.....

HungLikeJesus 10-30-2007 06:46 PM

http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/img/worldpop.gif

Here's some population statistics (continuously updated):

107,488,944 Births this year

262,400 Births today

44,198,800 Deaths this year

107,980 Deaths today

154,665 Absolute population growth for today (births minus deaths)

lookout123 10-30-2007 06:47 PM

we are obviously not killing enough people.

Aliantha 10-30-2007 06:48 PM

Are you suggesting I shouldn't be trying to have a baby HLJ?

HungLikeJesus 10-30-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 401784)
Are you suggesting I shouldn't be trying to have a baby HLJ?

I was trying to stay with the premise of the thread, and all this talk of babies made me think of the population situation.

But, no, it wasn't directed at you.

eta: It is pretty mind-boggling to think that there have been a quarter of a million births already today.

lookout123 10-30-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts (Post 401777)
Meh, you dont want her wearing it....but I would be happy to oblige.....

now i thought you'd already written me off because you know "my type"? are you saying i've got a shot?

lookout123 10-30-2007 06:52 PM

may all those looking to get in a family way achieve success. or at least have fun trying. :knockdup:

Aliantha 10-30-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 401786)
I was trying to stay with the premise of the thread, and all this talk of babies made me think of the population situation.

But, no, it wasn't directed at you.

eta: It is pretty mind-boggling to think that there have been a quarter of a million births already today.

No worries. I was just wondering. I've thought of the same thing myself to be honest, but I guess what I look at is that we can financially afford this child. We're planning for it and with a little bit of luck, we'll get there some time soon.

How many of those quarter of a million births do you think are being born under the same premise?

Aliantha 10-30-2007 07:01 PM

Thanks lookout. That's really nice of you to say.

lookout123 10-30-2007 07:05 PM

well, if you subtract the "we live in the middle of a freakin desert and only have a few scraps of clothing and flies to play with, what else do we have to do?" types, the "c'mon babe, you know i love you, and besides my parents won't be home for like an hour" kids, and the "heeyyouoo. itshhh 3 aclockk and yer hchhot! wannaa gto my plasshh?" adventurers.... wait, what was the question?

DucksNuts 10-30-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 401787)
now i thought you'd already written me off because you know "my type"? are you saying i've got a shot?

Ohhh...I'm busy putting the fire out on that burning bridge!!!!

DucksNuts 10-30-2007 07:50 PM

Oh and if you friggen women listened to me.....VITEX AGNUS!!!! get it

jinx 10-30-2007 08:15 PM

Or tequila....

Aliantha 10-30-2007 08:17 PM

I don't think not getting drunk often enough is my problem. lol