The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2/9/2005: Iced house (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7722)

Undertoad 02-09-2005 02:37 PM

2/9/2005: Iced house

http://cellar.org/2004/icehouse.jpg

People in ice houses shouldn't throw salt, is what I always say. there have been a few shots of frozen cars that came along, but this one from axlrosen shows a few houses in Hull (MA) that got a similar freeze treatment.

Now the physics question of the day. Would this act as a good insulation? would it be an improvement over regular insulation? If you were iced in, who would you call? Or would you just stay inside?

Leah 02-09-2005 03:03 PM

That looks so cool or should I say unreal. I've never seen such a thing happen, mostly here in sunny Sydney (not so much today, it's raining). :rollanim:

glatt 02-09-2005 03:17 PM

I doubt it would be very good insulation. Snow is a decent insulator, but ice doesn't have the air pockets snow has.

That can't be good for the houses. Imagine when all that ice melts. Water will work its way in through every little crack in the sidings and shingles. Water stains are a minimum, and rot is a possibility if a lot of water gets into the walls.

It sure does look cool though. I wonder if that's a deck or a dock she is standing on? It looks like it could be a water-front home, and boats pull up to that gap in the railing.

garnet 02-09-2005 04:38 PM

Wow, it sure looks neat, like it belongs with Santa up at the North Pole. I'm certainly not envious of the person who lives there, though...

Elspode 02-09-2005 04:42 PM

I suddenly crave frosting...

Wombat 02-09-2005 06:42 PM

Adding an extra layer of any solid material will improve insulation. The problem is that in this case the solid material is really cold, so it will keep the house well insulated at a cold temperature. In other words, it will insulate the house from the warming effect from the sun.

Looks great though.

404Error 02-09-2005 08:15 PM

I agree with Glatt, it can't be very good for the house. The freezing water on the siding and roof shingles will expand and start tearing it all apart.

And I wonder how that person on the deck got out of the house in the first place.

xoxoxoBruce 02-09-2005 08:22 PM

Quote:

And I wonder how that person on the deck got out of the house in the first place.
Chop, chop. :biggrin:
There has been a lot of this happening this winter all across the northern climes. Even where it isn't waterfront, freezing fog has been the culprit.

capnhowdy 02-09-2005 08:25 PM

Imagine the weight related stress on the house.......
If the ice is three inches thick, the roof alone would weigh about 36000 lbs.
Not to mention the ice on the walls themselves.
Unless frozen water weighs less than the fluid. Even so........that's a lot of stress.
What an icehole!

xoxoxoBruce 02-09-2005 08:43 PM

As long as it's frozen it's semi-self supporting like an exoskeleton. If the bottom melts first it can bring the whole weight on the house. :eek:

zippyt 02-09-2005 09:21 PM

Now that would be an interesting experement , spray water on the roof of a structure in a freezing climit and see just how much weight it could take -v- spraying the whole structure , and if there truely was a difference . You could predict a weight , but to see just what type structure could take what kind of abuce would be interesting
Some truck scales are tested with a hydrolic press to see the working life and repatability , they call it the module masher , i have seen it , BIG damn rig !!! I will see if i can dig up a link .

Guess 02-09-2005 09:25 PM

whoa!! I used to live there! we never used to have anything of this sort! :eek:

zippyt 02-09-2005 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok this is a lousy small pic , i will see if i can find a better one and more info ,

magilla 02-10-2005 09:44 AM

Oh, for a little lime and a bottle of gin!

Wormfood 02-10-2005 11:59 AM

That houses windows must have very good insulation or
the heater is broken down... I have never seen windows frosted like that. :eyebrow:
But it looks cool. ;)