The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   ROME (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9287)

OnyxCougar 10-05-2005 09:13 AM

ROME

Who watches?

Opinions?

elSicomoro 10-05-2005 09:30 AM

What is it?

Happy Monkey 10-05-2005 10:00 AM

It's an HBO show about Caesar's takeover. It's pretty good. What's amusing is I just finished watching I, Claudius, which started with Augustus as emperor, and one of the main characters in Rome is Augustus as a child.

elSicomoro 10-05-2005 10:19 AM

I need to add HBO to our satellite package before January.

wolf 10-05-2005 10:26 AM

I love it. I'm two episodes behind, but hope to catch up via OnDemand this weekend.

I've been discussing the show in several other forii and continually describe it as "I, Claudius with a budget."

I'll be getting the DVDs.

Happy Monkey 10-05-2005 10:28 AM

They're showing the last 3 episodes on Friday.

OnyxCougar 10-05-2005 10:30 AM

I'm a rabid fan, and DVR it on Sunday (when the new episodes air) then watch it Tuesday morning when WoW is down for maintenance.

Episode 7 comes on this Sunday.

And as for 5 and 6, wolf, all I can say is "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." This is the best show on TV right now....

Happy Monkey 10-05-2005 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
This is the best show on TV right now....

You can usually say that about whatever is in the timeslot it occupies.

BigV 10-05-2005 01:15 PM

Quote:

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

And you can usually say that about whatever is in the timeslot it occupies.

richlevy 10-05-2005 08:33 PM

How about that 'special gift' that Atia intends to give Servilia?

So, who's tougher, the characters in 'Rome' or the characters in 'Deadwood'?
Which flawed hero is less flawed, Vorenus or Seth Bullock?

Tonchi 10-06-2005 01:58 AM

ROME is definitely my favorite show on TV right now, since The 4400 finished for the season. The writing and acting are superb, completely different from any standard "costume drama" from the networks. It has a depth and realism that has only been seen before in Gladiator. All those years I studied archaeology of Rome and Greece, plus the Latin and World History are coming to life on the screen, and not in the empty sets of a movie studio spectacular where you immediately see that the backgrounds are digitalized. ROME is so authentic that it will be painful to watch for some people, between the morals and casual violence of the time, but I recommend it as an eye-opener for those who hated reading about Julius Caesar and the Senate and think Marc Antony and Cleopatra were just another Liz Taylor movie rather than a pivotal event of world history.

I'm just sad that there probably will not be a second season due to the insane expense of all this authenticity, plus the actors all wanting double their previous salary because the first year was a hit.

BTW, I thought I was going to like Deadwood, but I don't. I got more "authentic Western" entertainment out of the Lonesome Dove miniseries than this show. It's not all that much fun to watch something for an hour and nothing really happens other than 2,000 F-words. In fact, the nuisance of having to say f-ing in front of every other word seems to be so tiring that the actors are lacking in much expression. Only watched one of the shows all the way through this season, and I won't bother to tune in anymore.

OnyxCougar 10-06-2005 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonchi
I'm just sad that there probably will not be a second season due to the insane expense of all this authenticity, plus the actors all wanting double their previous salary because the first year was a hit.

Actually, Rome HAS been picked up for a second season.

We're (at work) expecting it to pick up with Octavius' rule for season two.

OnyxCougar 10-06-2005 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy
How about that 'special gift' that Atia intends to give Servilia?

So, who's tougher, the characters in 'Rome' or the characters in 'Deadwood'?
Which flawed hero is less flawed, Vorenus or Seth Bullock?

I never watched Deadwood, so I can't say.

But Titus Pullo is my favorite character. Lucius is coming off as whiney. And I ADORE Servilia. And I love to hate Atia.

Tonchi 10-06-2005 11:38 PM

Quote:

Actually, Rome HAS been picked up for a second season.

YAY! I can't wait! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I like the Titus Pullo character too. It's kinda strange to hear a "Roman" soldier with a Cockney accent, though.

Perry Winkle 10-07-2005 07:01 AM

Nobody has mentioned Niobe (Indira Varma). Stunningly gorgeous and not a bad actress.

I don't think they'll jump to Octavian's rule in the second season. It's too discontinuitous. There's too much history between where the show is currently and the beginning of Octavian's reign(5ish years? BC 49 - 44). They've easily got several seasons worth of material until that point.

I think Octavian becoming emperor would be a good way to end the series depending on ratings, how the story has played out and the interest level of those involved, etc.