The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Hummus (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30914)

busterb 05-31-2015 08:22 PM

Hummus

I bought some, roasted red pepper. Now just what do I do with it?:D

monster 05-31-2015 08:41 PM

toast some pitas and dip 'em in. if you don't have any, regular toast is good too.

infinite monkey 05-31-2015 09:04 PM

Pita chips by the bag. Or pretzel chips. Hummus is awesome, I keep it in the fridge at work for lunch.

it 06-01-2015 06:23 AM

Make it.

I've seen what you guys have in the US stores, and as a representative of the middle east, I am sorry but that barely counts as hummus, its ok I guess, but you are missing out.

Grab your blander and make your own. It also lets you try things that otherwise no restaurant would (A bit of cheddar cheese blended in hummus, it comes out so creamy it's evil).

infinite monkey 06-01-2015 06:39 AM

Oh look, a hummus purist. ;)

I won't be grabbing my blander any time soon. My hummus doesn't need to have any special meaning.

:)

fargon 06-01-2015 06:53 AM

Keryx uses a food processor to make hummus. She puts all kind of things in it. I really like it, and it keeps things moving. If you get my meaning.

Sundae 06-01-2015 07:44 AM

I used to make my own houmous (spellings vary by region) because I could make it in small enough batches not to have to make it last. So less fat or nasty additives.

You'll be getting carbs and protein in the houmous, so raw vegetables cut the heaviness a little. I liked carrots cut into batons with mine, or scallions (although not at lunchtime as the breath fallout was extraordinary). I'd also have it with red peppers, but I can see that would be a repetition of flavour for you there. Colleagues of mine often had it with celery.

glatt 06-01-2015 08:59 AM

I use hummus as a spread on my sandwiches instead of mayo. It's more flavorful and doesn't have the fat and HFCS.

Undertoad 06-01-2015 09:04 AM

I made hummus when I had a powerful stick blander, it's a cheap easy thing you can make with that powerful cheap thing.

although is it just me or are cans of garbanzo beans up by double in the last few years

glatt 06-01-2015 09:19 AM

garbanzo beans are not cheap. I priced it out, making your own hummus, and while it was cheaper, it wasn't dramatically so.

I think Goya brand garbanzo bean aren't too bad price wise. In the ethnic aisle.

BigV 06-01-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 929849)
I made hummus when I had a powerful stick blander, it's a cheap easy thing you can make with that powerful cheap thing.

although is it just me or are cans of garbanzo beans up by double in the last few years

this is the way to go, I have a KitchenAid stick blender. I could easily make this post in the "Products I heartily endorse" thread. And I owe thanks to Clodfobble for first planting the idea that I could make good use of one. I finally purchased one precisely because I wanted to make hummus.

buster, as for what to do with it, the chip suggestions are good, but using carrots as edible dipping tools is even better in my opinion. Sundae's batons would be good, but so are regular carrots if you don't mind double dipping (over and over again) and baby carrots too. Delicious.

xoxoxoBruce 06-01-2015 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 929849)

It'll get worse.
Quote:

A year after record deluges damaged the lentil crops in Canada, vegetarians across India are getting sticker shock for legumes they eat at almost every meal. Stockpiles in Canada, the world’s biggest exporter, are down by half from a year earlier, government data show. At the same time, shipments to India, the top buyer, are headed to an all-time high after a dry spell reduced its domestic output. That’s boosted prices for all kinds of similar crops, including chickpeas and dried beans.
plus
Quote:

Demand is growing for the high-protein legumes known as pulses. General Mills Inc. and Kraft Foods Group Inc. are adding them to breakfast cereals, energy bars and salty snacks as health-conscious consumers seek products with no gluten or genetically modified ingredients.

infinite monkey 06-01-2015 09:49 AM

If you want to make your own hummus, here is a recipe:

Ingredients:
1 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
1/4 cup (60 g) tahini
Large garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil, plus more for serving
Dash of sea salt, to taste
Dash of ground cumin (about 1/2 teaspoon/3.5 g)
2 – 3 tbsp (30 ml) water
Dash of ground paprika, for serving

Directions:
1.In your food processor or blander, blend tahini and lemon juice for 1 minute.
2.Add olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and salt and blend for another minute.
3.Add canned/soaked chickpeas and process until thick and smooth. (You may have to add additional 2-3 Tbsp. water until desired consistency
4.Serve with carrots, cucumber or whole grain pita.

Servings: 8

Note: Garbanzo beans probably have gone up due to the popularity of hummus.

Tahini is WAY expensive (i'm seeing 45 to 80 bucks.)

Gravdigr 06-01-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 929855)
Tahini is WAY expensive (i'm seeing 45 to 80 bucks.)

Well, fuck that, then.

Gravdigr 06-01-2015 01:47 PM

I've noticed hummus has become a popular trend in the last couple years.

In another year eating hummus will be like wearing white after Labor Day.:neutral: