The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

glatt 12-06-2010 12:00 PM

If the freezer is on the top, the freezer gets the cold air first, and then the cold air spills down into the fridge. So the freezer is colder.

anonymous 12-06-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 698639)
I've always wondered what it would be like to be those kind of people who can just go out and get new major appliances when they need to. So, what's that like?

It's Great!:p:

Shawnee123 12-06-2010 12:06 PM

The freezer is on top. So does that mean that they would both be "working" but not working very well?

I wonder if "coils" or whatever need cleaned?

HELP!

Spexxvet 12-06-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 698560)
The main line from the box to my water heater has a short gahhhhhhh! :thepain:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 698639)
Could you get a gahhhhhhh lengthener? ;)

Haggis! x2

glatt 12-06-2010 12:51 PM

Couldn't hurt to clean the coils. You just vacuum the dust bunnies off them. They are usually underneath, but could also be on the back. They are just little radiators that look like wire racks. (To get to them if they are underneath, there should be a pull off plastic grill that you just easily pop off and then push back on)

It could also be that you have a freezer that's packed so full, it's blocking the vents that lead down into the refrigerator part. Pull frozen food away from the sides and especially rear of the freezer, and see if that helps cool the fridge part.

I'm assuming you hear the thing running. Does it run all the time? Or does it only run every once in a while? I'm also assuming you already checked that you didn't accidentally bump the thermostat and set the thing to a warmer temperature.

That's about it for things you can do yourself. Oh, and see if plugging it into a different outlet (via a heavy duty extension cord) makes it work. You could have a wiring problem and not an appliance problem.

Worst case is that the compressor motor is shot or the system has a refrigerant leak.

Shawnee123 12-06-2010 12:58 PM

Hey, thanks so much. I'll try cleaning the coils. I know my freezer isn't packed full but I can't be sure there isn't something in there blocking any vents. I would not have know to look for something like that.

I did check the thermostat.

I would be so happy if I could just get it working again, even if that is short-lived, until I can look into buying a new one.

Thanks again!

monster 12-06-2010 08:19 PM

Craigslist.

footfootfoot 12-06-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 698661)
Hey, thanks so much. I'll try cleaning the coils.

Careful not to shuffle them, I heard it can be bad.

plthijinx 12-06-2010 11:20 PM

my freakin' truck. going down the freeway at 70mph, cruise control on and all of a sudden it slips into neutral. or acts like it anyway. automatic transmission. i have 1st and 2nd gear. if i push the overdrive off button then it will at least stay in second gear and not slip out. wtf? any ideas? is it a bad TC or possibly a sensor?

plthijinx 12-06-2010 11:21 PM

built ford tough. my ass. last ford pickup i'll ever buy.

morethanpretty 12-08-2010 07:10 AM

Final project for drama class. It was a group assignment and we had like 3 weeks to work on it. First 2 weeks, the group member who was supposed to write the script, wasn't. So last week I finally said I would. I got it done on Saturday and we filmed the thing. Then one of the other members was supposed to edit it. She had Sun, Mon, and Tues morning. I asked her repeatedly if she could and if it was OK. Even Monday night before I went to bed, I texted her one last time. She assured me it was OK. Tues morning at 9:50 I get an message from her, "Uhm, things didn't turn out so well." Class is at 10. Come to find out, she couldn't even get the video off of the camcorder to the PC.
The camcorder will play on a TV, but the miniDV we used is FUBR and won't finalize so it can be transferred to a PC. If she had told me before hand she couldn't at all get it to work, I couldv'e looked at it, figured out it was FUBR and we could've reshot the film, or filmed it off of the TV....at least had something to turn in in the class. So now, I have to fix it, edit it and turn it in on Thurs. Fortunately I talked to the prof, and I don't think she's gonna count me off for it being late since she knows that its not my fault. But its extra work I shouldn't have to be doing damnit. Oh, and since the miniDV is FUBR, and the vid can't be downloaded straight to the PC, I'm gonna have to refilm it from the TV. Its gonna look awesome...

Shawnee123 12-08-2010 07:31 AM

I wonder if that's how Tarantino started out. Or was it Ed Wood? ;)

Good luck, mtp. You'll get it together.

morethanpretty 12-08-2010 08:42 AM

I know, but I've gotten through the last 2 weeks by telling myself. "Ok, you'll be done on Wed after your last final which is a breeze. Just hold on until then, then you can go nuts." So at this point my sanity is hanging on by a thread, and I was supposed to be DONE by 5:30 tonight...but it turns out I'm not. :( Its very very disappointing.
I think I'm still gonna get drunk...as soon as I get done with editing.

Shawnee123 12-10-2010 11:01 AM

I'm so glad the pubes, I mean 'pubs, are back in town.

Thanks for nuttin', Kasich. Blowhard. :mad:

"WE gots other stuff we want to spend money on, he said (read: we wanted the money to go into our buddy's pockets.) We can't afford it, he said (read: we don't want to create jobs on the line itself, or in manufacturing of the line, or servicing the line, or in selling popcorn to people riding the line, or ways people could possibly commute to another city for a job.) Can we keep the money anyway, he said?"

NO, dumbass, you can't keep the money. Here you go, California. And here's some for you Florida. You can have it. Fuck a bunch of Ohio: maybe we can get everyone to leave the god-forsaken state.

Dick fucking fucking dick asshole. :mad2:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ohio/?hpt=Sbin

morethanpretty 12-10-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 699354)
I'm so glad the pubes, I mean 'pubs, are back in town.

Thanks for nuttin', Kasich. Blowhard. :mad:

"WE gots other stuff we want to spend money on, he said (read: we wanted the money to go into our buddy's pockets.) We can't afford it, he said (read: we don't want to create jobs on the line itself, or in manufacturing of the line, or servicing the line, or in selling popcorn to people riding the line, or ways people could possibly commute to another city for a job.) Can we keep the money anyway, he said?"

NO, dumbass, you can't keep the money. Here you go, California. And here's some for you Florida. You can have it. Fuck a bunch of Ohio: maybe we can get everyone to leave the god-forsaken state.

Dick fucking fucking dick asshole. :mad2:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ohio/?hpt=Sbin

OUCH! I agree with your :mad2:.

zippyt 12-12-2010 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Country eggs !!!

monster 12-12-2010 04:18 PM

Why are cuntery eggs upsetting you?

zippyt 12-12-2010 05:08 PM

Wrong thread
Bruce or UT , could you Please put this in the Whats makeing you Happy thread

plthijinx 12-13-2010 01:49 AM

rant coming. i'm upset. hell i'm far past upset. i'm fucking tired of people supporting ex-offenders (which again, i did not commit the crime but did the time...one word.."Texas") trying to make a better life yet do it in someone else's back yard? i'm tired of the motherfuckers at work bitching and complaining about how so and so isn't doing this or is doing that. i'm tired of all this shit bringing me down. yes i'm trying to turn it around only to take 1 step forward and getting set 5 back. my life sucks right now and yes i am partially to blame but there are other scenarios that play into this. like lies. oooohhhh lies. i fucking can't stand liars. more than that i hate being called a liar. why the hell would i lie? just one more damn thing to remember what you lied about. tell the truth. that way you don't have to remember what you lied about to retell the lie. ffs. i'm depressed, fucked off and mad. brilliant combination eh? i'm trying and have been for quite sometime to get back into engineering or get back into charter aviation but the "economy" doesn't allow this. or is it my "criminal background?" zip and brianr, you guys nailed it 5 years ago. wish i'd of listened. i'm tired guys. real tired.

DanaC 12-13-2010 03:07 AM

Sounds pretty grim, plthijinx. Hope you find a route through it soon.

The 'lies' sound particularly troubling. Hate being called a liar. I don;t know who it is you're referring to, but I hope that gets sorted out soon too.

Are you qualified to teach pilots? Maybe there's a backdoor into the industry again through training schools?

Griff 12-13-2010 05:28 AM

I'm real sorry man.

monster 12-13-2010 06:24 AM

My son is playing at the Joe Louis Arena tonight (home of the Redwings) then we are staying to watch the wings. It's also swim team banquet/awards night. My daughter made the really tough (and gallant) decision to go to the banquet and pick up the boys' awards with her own. SNOW DAY = banquet cancelled, chances of getting her a ticket at the discount price with our group - next to zero, so most likely I'll have to leave her behind. :(

zippyt 12-13-2010 04:44 PM

Keep on Sloggen plthijinx !!!
There IS Light at the end of the tunnel

kerosene 12-14-2010 09:15 AM

Plthijinx, things have to work out somehow. Sorry you are going through this right now.

Shawnee123 12-14-2010 03:38 PM

SO not important, comparatively, but:

Just found out my club is closing it's doors for good, on Sunday.

It's almost the only place I ever go to have a beer! Those are my people!

I'll sure miss some of the regulars. :(

The Eagle has crashed and burned.

skysidhe 12-14-2010 03:43 PM

plthijinx I am sorry things are rough. Keep on keeping on...

HungLikeJesus 12-14-2010 07:27 PM

Well, the Cellar is like a club. Except without the butlers and overstuffed furniture.

plthijinx 12-14-2010 08:20 PM

i'm trying guys. thanks griff, sky, kero n zip. i need all the help and support i can get. dana yeah i can teach officially for ground skool but am not certified to teach in the air. would love too. one day i will get my cfi (certified flight instructor) one day. not tomorrow but someday. i do love to teach. tried to get it about 9 years ago but that's another story. on a more positive note i changed out my transmission in the truck and it works perfectly!! i SO needed that uplift. pain in the ass to change it but wow, i just can't believe that it works!! job well done. shit i'm not sure which one was harder: getting the new tranny up there to mate the bolt holes? or putting back on the exhaust. either way it's done. now i have to attack the cam position sensor. best point is i smiled today.

monster 12-14-2010 08:44 PM

smiling is good. Sorry they're few and far between right now.

Shawnee123 12-15-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 700084)
Well, the Cellar is like a club. Except without the butlers and overstuffed furniture.

That is the kind of club where I used to WORK, not the kind of club I belong to. :p:

Keep smiling plt. It does help. It sounds trite, but when things are bad I think about how, in the end, none of it really matters. Grab happiness where you can find it and KNOW that better days will come.

glatt 12-15-2010 07:34 AM

I'm very impressed with you fixing your transmission.

My brother, who was a rocket scientist at the time, tried to fix the transmission on his beat up old car. Ended up having to have it towed to the junkyard after he took it apart. Just couldn't get it to work. You obviously have talent.

plthijinx 12-15-2010 01:13 PM

thanks shawnee n glatt. it was a royal pain in the ass but i got it done with the help of a buddy i work with. took us about 15 hours to accomplish. aamco wanted 650 bucks just to swap it out. i now know why! lol!

SamIam 12-15-2010 01:48 PM

I am very upset about the plan just introduced in Congress to make massive cuts in housing assistance to low income seniors and disabled folks. I fall into both the senior and disabled catagories. If passed, these cuts will throw thousands if not hundreds of thousands onto the streets - me included. There is no way me and others like me will be able to survive being homeless. Merry Christmas from our millionaire congressmen. :( :mad: :(

jinx 12-18-2010 10:19 AM

Yesterday I went to the funeral of my father's 11 year old god-daughter, who was accidentally shot by her brother. Later in the day I was informed that my father has been telling people I am dead to him. These 2 things aren't related, and yet I'm struggling to deal with them both today.

Griff 12-18-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 700739)
Yesterday I went to the funeral of my father's 11 year old god-daughter, who was accidentally shot by her brother. Later in the day I was informed that my father has been telling people I am dead to him. These 2 things aren't related, and yet I'm struggling to deal with them both today.

That is pretty rough jinx. I hope you can figure out a way to connect with your Dad on some level.

SamIam 12-18-2010 10:51 AM

So sorry, Jinx. My Mom did the same thing to me and passed on, never having said a word to me for the last 5 years of her life. I hope your Dad will see reason soon. :(

skysidhe 12-18-2010 11:08 AM

damn :( Sorry Jinx

Clodfobble 12-18-2010 11:21 AM

That sucks, jinx. I'm so sorry.

footfootfoot 12-18-2010 12:27 PM

Wow, Jinx, I am so sorry to hear that. That is tragic.

zippyt 12-18-2010 01:10 PM

Sorry to hear all this jinx :(

You've said it before People SUCK !!!

Sundae 12-18-2010 01:24 PM

Jinx that is one shitty day.

If what your father says is true then it will hurt terribly.
All I can say is he's stupid and misguided. Unless he found those hobos..?

I'm not a parent, but I'm not much impressed with those that pretend their children are disposable - whatever age. Too many people long for children and family for that to be acceptable.

Sorry you're going through this.

glatt 12-18-2010 01:50 PM

I'd say some bad things about your father here, but I'm sure you love him and wouldn't want to read anyone bad mouthing him. It's a terrible situation, and I'm sorry. I hope he comes around.

Did you talk with him at all at the funeral yesterday? Was he normal with you? Or was he the one that told you this?

I'm sorry.

limey 12-18-2010 02:18 PM

Jinx, I'm sorry to hear that. It's not good to be estranged from family ...

jinx 12-18-2010 02:28 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help thru this.
My dad and I have never been close. He's always been very self-involved and has hurt me with his dishonesty and selfishness to the point that I created a comfortable distance from him for myself years ago. My sister has always been closer to him, she puts a lot more effort in and takes more crap, but he has included her in his ill will... which hurts just as bad as his feeling towards me.
He wants something from us. Something he is not entitled to and should not have asked for but did anyway. Since we didn't say yes immediately, but were taking time and thinking it all thru together, we're dead to him. I'm just so blown away - even knowing what a shit he is I wasn't prepared for this.
I did see him at the funeral and he was as normal as he ever is - his wife wouldn't make eye contact with my sister or I but I didn't really notice until it was pointed out to me later just because it was such an awful situation to begin with. I thought everyone was just struggling to get thru the event. It's even more upsetting to realize they were able to be petty despite their grief. And now I'm pissed off about it.
And zippy is right on.

kerosene 12-18-2010 03:42 PM

I am sorry, jinx. What a dreadful situation. It's rough when family can't seem to be accepting.

xoxoxoBruce 12-18-2010 04:00 PM

@Jinx, I'm sorry your Dad has disappointed you, I know the feeling quite well. And the below is not aimed at you specifically, just thinking about Zippy's remark. :hug:

Yeah Zippy's right, everyone sucks.
Oh wait, he said people suck.
But that's the same thing, right?

Hmmm, do your children suck?
Then um, some people suck?
It wouldn't be fair to include people that don't suck, because your pissed at people that do suck, would it?

Does somebody suck because they won't treat you the way you want?
Even if the way you want is alien to their values, their way of thinking?
How about if they don't even realize what you want?
Or how about they realize, but disagree that's proper, goes against what they want?

I guess everybody sucks to somebody else, sometimes knowingly because they disagree or don't care, sometimes not knowingly because they have different values, or accidentally because they think differently.

So yeah, we're all guilty... people suck.

monster 12-18-2010 04:34 PM

Jinx, I'm sorry. I know it's probably no comfort, but the fact that people are telling you what he said is probably an indication that they can see past his POV and think he is being a jerk to you. If enough people think that there's a chance he may come to realize it too. I think my dad is, nearly 20 years after we parted ways. We'll never be close, but there is hope for "not dead to each other", and there may be for you too.

SamIam 12-21-2010 10:44 AM

My neighbor across the street had all her presents for her grand-babies in the back seat of her car waiting to be mailed the next day. Unfortunately, a couple of juvenile Scrooges broke into her car and stole them. Now the little kids won't be getting anything from grandma. :( I'd have liked to see the look on those asshole's faces when they saw that they had made off with a bunch of little girls' dresses and baby blankets and baby toys. :thepain:

TheMercenary 12-21-2010 11:05 AM

Sorry to hear the news Jinx. Like you need more stress. Peace.

Sundae 12-24-2010 11:41 AM

My Secret Santa didn't arrive.
I feel like crying.
I've been logging on for weeks now, hoping to see a message from the recipient, but it's too late now.

I did post it late. But as far as I remember it had at least 3 weeks to get there.
Which is plenty of time.

Gutted for the person receiving, who no doubt was as excited every day as I was.
Gutted for myself, having let someone down so badly.
And just generally upset at good intentions that have come to nothing.

limey 12-24-2010 12:06 PM

Now, SG, don't take on so. If I were the recipient (and who knows, maybe I am?!) I'd be looking forward to a surprise package to brighten that post-Christmas tristesse which we all get ...

monster 12-24-2010 03:06 PM

Have they posted to say they haven't got anything yet? And it isn't too late in the US, yet.

GunMaster357 12-26-2010 02:45 PM

One more year on my shoulders...

footfootfoot 12-26-2010 03:03 PM

Better than a year on your knees, I bet.

Nirvana 12-26-2010 04:03 PM

My sister totally ruined our Christmas dinner. I wish I knew if something is going on with her healthwise but she doesn't seem to want to share. Everyone arrived in the afternoon to my Mother's and she called my Mother and claimed my Mom told her 6pm. Well my mom always says come over anytime. I had asked this sister on FB when she was going to my Mom's in the am and she said between 4-6pm. Well she told my younger sister to be there at 6pm/ So these 2 sisters come after they had a week fighting over my niece's wedding. [ugh] These two apparently had made up.[maybe?]

My younger sister who is also an Aunt to this niece went with her to try on her wedding dress not inviting the Mother [my other sis] maybe because the Aunt wanted to pay for the dress and my niece was being an opportunist because she knew her own Mom could not afford said dress. So me being the kind shoulder when my sister called crying saying they did not invite her for this moment , I calmed her down and prevented her from emailing her daughter a nasty venom filled email.

So why when she comes to our mother's house is it such a big deal what time to be there? No one cared when they came but when I mentioned she said 4-6 her response to me was fuck you she yelled at my mother saying she told her 6pm and that she was old and could not remember shit and out the door she went leaving us all thinking WTF? :eyebrow:

Nirvana 12-26-2010 04:18 PM

Should I mail her gifts or give them to the poor?

morethanpretty 12-26-2010 04:28 PM

I'm sorry Nirvana, that really sucks.
Be the bigger person, if possible deliver the presents. You don't need to stay, just drop by and say "here I wanted you to have these" and leave. If she really is going through health issues, then she needs you all to be there for her all the more, even if she is being a bitch. Hopefully she'll come around and tell you whats wrong.

Griff 12-26-2010 04:31 PM

mtp seems wise on this one. I'm sorry for your pain.

Sundae 12-27-2010 06:03 AM

Mum flipped out over Christmas dinner and yet somehow it's all now my fault.
Neither of my parents are talking to me.
The last thing Mum said to me was something about Dad not putting cutlery on the table, "He thinks we eat with our fucking hands obviously!"

It's been building for a while because of her bruised leg.
Since I've lived here we've gone out on Christmas Eve, into town and had a meal and drinks. Nothing fancy, just a pub meal, but it's kinda traditional now (Ste joined us last year and it was lovely, I posted pictures somewhere).

This year she decided that as it hurts to sit down (despite spending all week on the sofa) she wouldn't be going out. Dad wouldn't go without her. So they gave me some money and sent me into town to go alone. The money bit was nice, but it isn't possible to be alone on Christmas Eve, surrounded by people absorbed in friends and family, and not feel lonely. She asked me to bring them a Subway back, so I walked into town, got us all Subways and came home.

Christmas Day we were all going to go down the Dairy Maid for a drink.
No, Mum decided she couldn't risk it.
Dad and I went alone at her behest.
She was grumpy when we came back.

She got worse as the day went on, despite Dad helping in the kitchen and me calling, asking if I could help (ignored). Then there was the debacle of he table, where everything Dad did was wrong, and Mum shouting at him.

By the time we sat at the table I was almost tearful. Nothing had gone as planned, Mum was FURIOUS and still making nasty asides. I was finding it hard to eat. I did not say a word. She stormed out into the kitchen, halfway throught the meal and started washing up. And that was that. I couldn't eat any more - Dad took away both our nearly full plates. I asked if there was anything I could do - no said Dad - you'll just make it wirse.

We sat and watched Christmas TV while Mum sat in her room.
Since then, neither parent has spoken to me.
I've been hiding out in my room. Mum disappeared for hours yesterday and has been gone for hours today. No idea where (Dad is gone too). I suspect Mum has made the decision not to wash any of my clothes, given a comment she made to Dad. Yeah good luck - when I'm not at school I slob about in the same outfit for two days at a time. I'm sure one pair of knickers a day will make a huge ifference to your martyr's load!

Sigh.
I don't understand how she can possibly have translated her own 2 hour bitching session into something I have done wrong.

My sister and family were due here this afternoon/ evening.
I have a horrible suspicion that this has either been cancelled or relocated without my knowledge.
I'm trying to be kind, but I think I'll probably get drunk instead.

capnhowdy 12-27-2010 06:38 AM

Gotta take all these fucking decorations down and store them now. Next year: NOT SO MUCH.