The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

glatt 04-04-2014 10:53 AM

I just started watching the 4th season of Arrested Development produced by Netflix. I want to like it. I liked the first 3 seasons, and it's OK, but really not as great as I remember.

DanaC 04-04-2014 12:48 PM

I found Justified hard to get into. J raved it to me. I had exactly the same experience of Breaking Bad as you did Inf - didn't catch initially, then went back to it and was blown away. Mind you, I didn't instantly get into Walking Dead either. I watched the first ep, really enjoyed it, thought it was very well done, but wasn;t compelled to watch the next. I think was something like 18 months later that i gave it another go and was hooked big time stylee.

Talking of WD: Ohmigod, the season finale!

Rick and Daryl, best characters in it. Though love many of them. I could watch Those two all fucking day.

I love that so many of the female characters are great characters in their own right as well. They're not just there as attachments for the male characters. And the kids too: really impressive young actors. Carl especially has been joy to watch. And the elder of the two sisters (can't recall her name). What a journey she went on.

infinite monkey 04-04-2014 01:37 PM

I don't want to wait until October to find out how badass Rick gets! Screwing with the wrong people indeed!

I agree about the kids. Good actors, all. I loved going back to the beginning to see how much Carl has grown since then.

The sisters, do you mean Lizzie and Mika (the two little girls?) Or you might mean Maggie and Beth. Of course, Maggie is an adult and Beth is almost 18. Good characters, all. Re: Lizzie and Mika...Carol had to make the hard decision, as you well know, and in that new frontier I think she did what she had to do.

eta: Lizzie losing it at Carol about her 'friend' was great acting.

You're right on about the female characters. They're not whining and hiding behind a man. Well, Lori sort of did...but.... ;) Though I'd hide behind Rick or Daryl any day of the week! I didn't know I'd end up loving Daryl...he is just so awesome, then I started looking around on line and saw that loving Daryl is a 'thing.' So much so there is a t-shirt available that reads: If Daryl dies, we riot!

Gravdigr 04-04-2014 01:44 PM

"47 Ronin" - meh. 4 outta 10

The one with Keanu Reeves, btw.

Clodfobble 04-04-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
I just started watching the 4th season of Arrested Development produced by Netflix. I want to like it. I liked the first 3 seasons, and it's OK, but really not as great as I remember.

I never got this show. There was the occasional line that would make me snort (I especially remember "These are illusions. Tricks are what a whore does for money.") But overall, I didn't think it was nearly as funny as other people said it was. Didn't enjoy Parks & Recreation at all either.

infinite monkey 04-06-2014 09:31 AM

Dana: omg I'm so dumb! I was looking at Andrew Lincoln on IMdB and realized he played Mark on Love, Actually. I did not put that together, and I am known to some friends as uncanny in my ability to place actors from other shows or movies...like "oh, that lady was in that one show...what was it, it'll come to me...OH she played So and So in Such and Such!"

I mean, he was good-looking in Love, Actually but the older scruffier Andrew Lincoln, as Rick, is way yummy.

I just wanted to mention my revelation...we've talked before about how we like Love, Actually.

I'm jonesin' for some WD. I started going through the earlier episodes, sometimes skipping ahead, but often thinking about the character development from then to now...going "OH, there's some foreshadowing I missed."

Mad Men doesn't start up again until next Sunday. Does anyone watch that? I look forward to seeing the path Don Draper takes now.

infinite monkey 04-06-2014 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a DVD but last night I caught The Bad Seed on PBS. Damn Eileen Heckart was a great actress.

Griff 04-06-2014 11:32 AM

Watched the red wedding episode of thrones last night. I knew it was coming because Martin hurt my feelings with the book but brutal just brutal.

Happy Monkey 04-06-2014 11:06 PM

Season premiere was awesome.

Beest 05-16-2014 12:15 PM

on DVD
Kick Ass2, not bad, if you liked Kick Ass , you'd proabably like this too.

Netflix streaming

Stand Up Guys Pacino and Walken is all you need to know, this was a random pick from the list when I saw these two were starring and was not dissapointed.

They are former partners in crime, Pacinos's character has been in jail for 28 years, Walken meets him on release and they go hang out. They're old dudes, but they still have the moves.

BardoXV 05-17-2014 10:53 PM

The grandkids are stuck on Frozen, so we watch it every time they come over, 4 - 5 times a week. Before that my grandson was stuck on Polar Express for about 3 years and about 4 - 5 times a week. At least they are nice movies with good music.

What is your impression of "Let It Go"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkKg2IYQsYU

wolf 05-18-2014 01:33 AM

I have decided that Star Trek: Into Darkness is horrible travesty. If I could use the slingshot effect to warp backwards in time I would hunt down JJ Abrams and encourage him to pursue a fascinating and exciting career in chartered accountancy.

Iron Sky is a complete and total wrongness. I hear there is talk of a sequel. I can't wait.

BigV 05-19-2014 10:51 PM

last night: Walter Mitty. Twil and I both enjoyed it. It exceeded my low expectations; low because a little bit of Ben Stiller goes a long way for me. But I have seen a number of films with him in them since I formed my rather strong negative opinion. My tolerance seems much higher than it used to be.

this night: 47 Ronin. We'll see. I was tipped to Keanu Reeve's "other" movie, .. .. Tai Chi Man (?) and I enjoyed that one.

xoxoxoBruce 05-19-2014 11:57 PM

Not sure your tolerance is higher V, he was very un-stiller like in Mitty. I enjoyed it.

Griff 05-20-2014 05:47 AM

I would have seen 47 Ronin by now if it wasn't Keanu, did it come off alright?