The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Are you getting annoying robo-calls? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28664)

Pete Zicato 02-19-2013 11:53 AM

Are you getting annoying robo-calls?

You can report them to the do not call list here:

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Then click on the File a Complaint button.

Pete Zicato 02-21-2013 07:47 AM

*crickets chirping*

No one else gets those annoying recorded sales calls? We've been getting them a lot - which is why I finally started reporting them.

glatt 02-21-2013 07:50 AM

only political ones during campaign season. And they are exempt.

Clodfobble 02-21-2013 08:05 AM

They come in waves for us. Nothing for months and then 5 or 6 in a week. It seems like usually whatever outfit cropped up and started making the illegal calls gets shut down relatively quickly though. I'll only get online and file a complaint if they persist long enough to motivate me.

Pete Zicato 02-21-2013 11:21 AM

We've been getting a bunch for the last six months or so. I just finally got around looking up the site to report them.

xoxoxoBruce 02-21-2013 03:22 PM

I Google any number I don't recognize. It seems there are a bunch of telephone exchanges which are proxies for these robo-callers, and impossible for the do-not-call enforcers to stop.

Gravdigr 02-21-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 853860)
only political ones during campaign season. And they are exempt.

Ditto.

We used one of those Tele-Zappers for a while. It makes the first tone of the 'this-number-is-disconnected' tune (beep-bupp-boop, the number you have dialed...), the autodialer autohangs up when it hears that first tone.

The things really work. Or they did. I don't know if they make 'em anymore.

Nirvana 02-21-2013 06:00 PM

Borrow someone's 2 year just to answer those calls. They love to sort of talk on the phone ;)

Pete Zicato 02-21-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 853955)
Borrow someone's 2 year just to answer those calls. They love to sort of talk on the phone ;)

I might actually try that, but all the spam calls we're getting lately are recordings.

Griff 02-21-2013 08:20 PM

Thanks Pete I just started getting them on my cell.

tw 02-21-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 853925)
I Google any number I don't recognize. It seems there are a bunch of telephone exchanges which are proxies for these robo-callers, and impossible for the do-not-call enforcers to stop.

Already was there years ago. The letter from the State Attorney General said:
Quote:

... Office of the Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection reviewed your complain regarding a solicitation call you received from an unknown source. Unfortunately we must advise you that we are unsuccessful in determining who placed the call.

In similar complaints, it appears that the telemarketer or company make the politicization call uses multiple telephone service providers and sophisticated internet technology to maker and relay the calls several times before reaching a consumer. This type of service enables those sending the messages to use hundreds, or even thousands, of numbers to hide the source of the solicitation. ....
Many of these numbers are provided by telephone service providers located outside the United States. As a result, local carriers generally are not able to track or provide information regarding a specific call or the specific subscriber.

Gravdigr 02-22-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 853963)
Thanks Pete I just started getting them on my cell.

I had that problem. Turned out my phone can be set to ring only if the caller is on my contacts list. The call still shows up as a missed call, so I'll know if I've received a call (also works with texts, but you can't tell that it has blocked a text, you just don't receive it). I then look at the number, if it's local, I'll call back.

Sometimes.

BigV 02-22-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 853859)
*crickets chirping*

No one else gets those annoying recorded sales calls? We've been getting them a lot - which is why I finally started reporting them.

Is your number 867-5309? Or something beginning with 555-xxxx? Maaaaybe it's you, I'm just sayin.

infinite monkey 02-22-2013 11:54 AM

BR549?

Pete Zicato 02-22-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 854052)
Is your number 867-5309? Or something beginning with 555-xxxx? Maaaaybe it's you, I'm just sayin.

No. Nothing popular so far as I know.

But I did have a work number once that was one digit away from the local hospital. That was an interesting time. I was reeeely tempted to start giving bad medical advice, but I restrained myself. It took forever to get it cleared up.