The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   A Game of Thrones (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23913)

DanaC 04-13-2015 09:01 AM

Hodor...did you leak the new episodes of GoT to the t'internet?

lumberjim 05-05-2015 09:38 PM

This has gone so far away from the actual story, I don't know how George can continue to write the story.

Hodor 05-06-2015 08:18 AM

Hodor:bawling:

orthodoc 05-06-2015 09:01 PM

George hasn't done so well with the story lately (last book). I'm interested to see what the series writers do.

xoxoxoBruce 05-06-2015 10:19 PM

Tiz the fate of all soap operas.

Happy Monkey 06-07-2015 09:12 PM

<slow whistle...>

lumberjim 06-07-2015 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 930524)
<slow whistle...>

Yah right

DanaC 06-08-2015 04:51 AM

I fell off a few eps back - wasn't really holding me - individual storylines are still interesting, but I'm not feeling it for the whole thing.

It is possible that's because I still have a headful of Lost and POI - am rewatching both with Ma. I'm going to give it another go this week I think. I have enjoyed each ep as I watched it - just hasn't got under my skin the way it usually does.

Happy Monkey 06-08-2015 10:28 AM

Last night's episode will get under your skin. In a way you like or not, I don't know. But it will get there.

Spexxvet 06-08-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 930556)
Last night's episode will get under your skin. In a way you like or not, I don't know. But it will get there.

The screams were horrible

Happy Monkey 06-08-2015 02:52 PM

I suppose a true film critic might say it was cheap emotional manipulation, but that episode made me feel more than anything I've seen since G'Kar/Londo scenes in Babylon 5 (and pooh to anyone who discounts G'Kar/Londo scenes on B5).

Not just the scene in question, but the sense of wonder from Danerys and Tyrion's perspective in the final scene. Those two scenes really worked together - wind you up tight, and then release the tension.

lumberjim 06-08-2015 03:11 PM

I hope the books don't go where they went with Stanis.

Griff 06-09-2015 06:15 AM

The last two episodes really grabbed me which is good because I'm waiting on Vikings.

Griff 06-09-2015 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 927680)
This has gone so far away from the actual story, I don't know how George can continue to write the story.

Parallel universe?

it 06-09-2015 09:10 AM

This seasons started slow, but is tying it up strongly towards the end. Last two episodes were incredible: Hardhome was thrilling and Dance of dragons was kind of a well made emotional roller coaster.

classicman 06-09-2015 09:58 AM

Two parts, one in each of the last two episodes, were really troubling.

Also, I'm REALLY hoping this doesn't turn into a zombie apocalypse ...

Happy Monkey 06-09-2015 12:06 PM

They're not Romero-style zombies, like in Walking Dead, WWZ, and 28 X Later. Those are more like an environmental hazard than an enemy; wandering aimlessly and spreading like (and via) a plague.

These are more like the original Voodoo concept of a zombie - corpses raised for a deliberate purpose by necromancers. They are an enemy army, and fight with purpose.

They have little in common with the recent popular zombies other than appearance.

it 06-09-2015 02:24 PM

Is anyone else who played Skyrim expecting zombie-dragons?

Happy Monkey 06-09-2015 03:31 PM

There are some on Youtube who think they see such a silhouette in the clouds in a few frames from the Hardhome episode.

it 06-09-2015 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 930704)
There are some on Youtube who think they see such a silhouette in the clouds in a few frames from the Hardhome episode.

Did he capture it? Can I see the link please?

lumberjim 06-09-2015 04:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAISUDbjXj0

it 06-09-2015 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 930716)

Nice - I haven't gotten that in something like 7-9 years. Good times :D

Happy Monkey 06-09-2015 06:57 PM

I can't youtube at the moment, but I can guess from context what that was... Try searching for "game of thrones possible ice dragon sighting".

lumberjim 06-09-2015 11:56 PM

Nah. Rick roll.

it 06-10-2015 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 930730)
I can't youtube at the moment, but I can guess from context what that was... Try searching for "game of thrones possible ice dragon sighting".

Huh...

That not a dragon. It's commissioner Gordon:
https://piedtype.files.wordpress.com...bat-signal.png

Happy Monkey 06-10-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 930741)
Nah. Rick roll.

I phrased it poorly... I guessed it was a rick roll from the context, and then suggested the search term for the real video.

BigV 06-10-2015 12:10 PM

BD generously offered to let me share her H B O G O connection after learning that we don't have any way to watch and therefore discuss the recent happenings in GoT, so now Twil and I don't have to wait for the dvd release of the current season.

I've clicked on the last post icon to take me here, then immediately scrolled the screen to hide all the posts here. People at work are bursting to talk about WTF just happened??!! and Twil's reported the same thing. She said one person has just decided to stop watching, having been so shocked/horrified/scandalized/disappointed/I don't even.

So.

I'm avoiding this thread to the best of my ability until we're caught up. But you guys keep putting it at the top of the new posts list.

it 06-10-2015 01:32 PM

BigV:

0. Put on your internet condom (adblock, security essentials,, etc).
1. Go here http://watch-series-tv.to/serie/game_of_thrones
2. Click on the episode you want to watch
3. Click on the server (Gorillavid / vidto.me / novamov / etc).
4. Click "click here to play".

If at any point some part of your mind is wondering about the questionable ethics, just tell yourself you are protesting against Emilia Clarke's decision and will go back to buying HBO once it's revoked...

it 06-10-2015 01:32 PM

Does anyone else have a problem with that btw?
Hypothetically she's more authentic to the character from the book now, except HBO squeezed so much nudity out of her that every time she does the Hollywood move of holding on to the blanket my mind goes "wtf? that's so not like her..." only to then remember "oh right the actress renegotiated her deal", completely shattering the immersion. This is about as bad as if Sophie Turner decided she's an exhibitionist and demanded the exact opposite deal.

Happy Monkey 06-10-2015 01:49 PM

A problem with one actress on GoT not having more nude scenes?

I mean, if she did have more nude scenes, I wouldn't close my eyes, but actually having a problem with an actress not being nude?

No.

it 06-16-2015 12:02 PM

So... Having main characters die horribly is cool and adds to the tension and empathy and overall immersion, but when you start to loose count on how many have died in one single episode...

Also: Crossing my fingers for Jon snow becoming a white walker.

xoxoxoBruce 06-16-2015 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)

DanaC 06-16-2015 07:24 PM

Well - having fallen off for a while, I resumed where I had left off. Watched eps 5, 6 and 7 back to back. I like the way it's gathering pace.

footfootfoot 06-18-2015 08:28 AM

I finally saw the season finale and while somewhat gratified by Cersei's comeuppance I was left feeling a) This show will still be going on when my grandchildren are in high school and no closer to any resolution, and b) it's not so much a finale as five new story lines.

I may wait until the very absolute last episode ever and then power disk through them all.

I'm not good with suspense.

wolf 06-19-2015 10:05 AM

I don't think that was as much comeuppance as it was revenge fuel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Griff 06-19-2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traceur (Post 931206)

Also: Crossing my fingers for Jon snow becoming a white walker.

No no no. Two words, Beric Dondarrion.

it 06-19-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 931454)
No no no. Two words, Beric Dondarrion.

Yea but then he'd be on the same side. Seen him fight for the white walkers would be interesting.

Happy Monkey 06-20-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 931433)
I don't think that was as much comeuppance as it was revenge fuel.

It might have been possible that she would learn some humility - if she hadn't been immediately given an undead giant. Any bit of her that wasn't already plotting revenge would have been after that.

footfootfoot 06-20-2015 10:24 PM

Undead. That explains the silence and the bulging eyes with blue lids. My first thought was, "Aren't all the Cleganes dead?"

wolf 06-21-2015 09:38 AM

They've been dropping hints about that (zombie mountain) all season.

footfootfoot 06-21-2015 10:32 AM

Zombies. It's a slippery slope to extra-terrestrials. Should we expect a visit from The Doctor?

wolf 06-21-2015 10:53 AM

The rebirth of the dragons means Thread is going to fall soon?

Griff 05-23-2016 06:27 AM

Damn you George Martin.

(in a good way, but damn)

Hodor 05-23-2016 08:02 AM

Hodor

lumberjim 05-23-2016 10:00 PM

Hold the door

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Griff 05-24-2016 06:13 AM

eye moisture

footfootfoot 06-03-2016 12:00 AM

Ho De Do

So, Should we assume Arya is going to kill the Waif Braavos? Did she recognize a parallel between the Bianca wanting Lady Crane dead and the Waif wanting her dead?

classicman 06-04-2016 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

footfootfoot 06-04-2016 06:59 PM

Nice!

Happy Monkey 07-16-2016 12:56 PM

Need to catch up?

classicman 07-18-2016 09:01 PM

Only 2 seasons left ... with only 7 episodes each.
I'm feeling the withdrawal already.

Griff 07-26-2016 06:21 AM

Take it slow. savor this

Snakeadelic 08-14-2016 07:55 AM

classicman, I read about a week ago that the final season (8th) will only have 6 eps! I foresee a BLOODBATH. Blood on the ceilings, entrails hanging from the chandeliers, I mean it's gonna look like all the Rambo movies, most of the really old pre-LOTR Peter Jackson movies, all the Living Dead movies, and Dead Snow threw a party. And then someone invited Smaug, Vermithrax, Tiamat, the big bull dragon from Reign of Fire, Jörmungandr, and every scaly nightmare I can't pronounce from assorted Asiatic mythos to said party.

I hope :D.

Snakeadelic 08-14-2016 08:24 AM

One thing really puzzles me, tho...

Ppl LOVE GoT. Like, "should this fictional character be calling the cops about stalkers and creepers" love.

Ppl LOVE LotR the same way.

We already know we can't have Dragonriders of Pern, which sucks now that CGI could do what Michael Whelan did for the paperbacks (which he obviously DID read before painting the covers). Rendered as they were described in the books and painted by Mr. Whelan, they'd be freakin' spectacular.

...And we already know there are a zillion or so LotR knockoffs out there. Why has no one optioned the ripped-off but extensive and detail-rich Memory, Sorrow & Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams? The Dragonbone Chair. The Stone of Farewell. To Green Angel Tower (which is so thick they had to break the paperback release into 2 books). The swords alone! One forged from a meteor, one grown by forcing iron and iron-allergic "witchwood" to cooperate. Forget how they got the third as it's been a while since I could read anything longer than a magazine article :(. There are elves (Sithi). There are nightmare swamp bugs. There are prophecies and royal lines of descent. There are even dwarves of a sort (short tribes based on Arctic aboriginals like the Inuit and Tlingit) who ride bighorn rams! Hell, Whelan did the cover art on the hardback trio! Someone get on this...it would easily make a minimum 2-season epic!

Snakeadelic 08-14-2016 08:26 AM

[quote=it;931206]So... Having main characters die horribly is cool and adds to the tension and empathy and overall immersion, but when you start to loose count on how many have died in one single episode...

Has anyone else noticed that major character deaths almost always seem to happen in the second-to-last episode of most of the seasons so far?

Snakeadelic 08-14-2016 08:30 AM

I've been waiting since around about the Red Wedding to see Arya start taking revenge. I still want to see her rip off a fake face, smile, and then nail Cercei's head to a wall with Needle.

Anyone else think she and the also-not-dead other Clegane are going to end up reunited so he can watch her back while she murders her way through her list? :D

Pico and ME 08-14-2016 08:43 AM

They are great pair, I would love to see them together again.

Snakeadelic 08-15-2016 07:57 AM

Also:

Any thoughts on just how many major characters are actually Rhaegar Targaryan's kids? We know Dany is his sister, and now we have been STRONGLY led to think Jon Snow is his son with Ned's sister. What about Tyrion? I've seen illustrated fan theories about how Tywin spoke to him without using pronouns like "my" in front of words like "son". I haven't read the books but I have heard there are clues in them that Rhaegar REALLY got around, and if Tyrion is half Targaryen that would definitely explain Tywin's hatred and contempt for him. Also, apparently the books describe him as having one eye green and the other violet, with violet eyes being the hallmark of the Targaryen line. Targaryen blood might explain why Viserion and Rhaegal didn't fry Tyrion when he took off their collars...

And how about that "ice dragon in/under/IS the Wall" theory? Will the Song of Ice and Fire end up being a battle saga about Dany vs. Jon Snow, or maybe Dany's dragons and the ice dragon ganging up on the Walker/Wight army when it kinda looks like everyone's gonna hit Kings Landing at about the same time?

Snakeadelic 08-15-2016 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 966605)
They are great pair, I would love to see them together again.

One of my favorite fanarts of those two is done in Calvin & Hobbes style, the two of them crossing a stream using a log. Way too adorable for how nasty they can both be! ;)

classicman 08-20-2016 08:29 AM

Arya left Clegane to die in agony. I don't see them breaking bread together anytime soon.
However, there is a young man whom we haven't seen for some time. He used to be an accomplished blacksmith and escaped from the Red witch with the help of Davos. I'm hoping he makes a return - possible with Arya since they were friends/love interests. That would finally unite the Baratheon and Stark families creating a massive powerhouse.

Gendry