The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Horrifying gang rape & assault on mother & son (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14813)

smurfalicious 07-13-2007 08:27 AM

Horrifying gang rape & assault on mother & son

I don't know if I've ever been so horrified by what happened in an area so close to home. I had to post this.

I'd like to know your thoughts on trying these "boys" as adults versus juveniles.

Also, I don't know where to even begin with the psychological issues the victims will have to contend with for the rest of their lives...

Police arrest 3rd teen in rape

Quote:

Friday, July 13, 2007

WEST PALM BEACH — A third teenage suspect has been linked by a fingerprint to the vicious attack on a Dunbar Village woman and her 12-year-old son, during which the woman was gang-raped by as many as 10 school-aged assailants and forced to have sex with her son.

Police arrested Jakaris Taylor, 15, Thursday morning at his mother's apartment in the dilapidated housing project on charges that included armed sexual battery by multiple perpetrators, home invasion robbery with a firearm and wearing a mask while committing an offense.

"I'm just too upset ," said his sobbing mother, Jacqueline Minor, 32, after the arrest. "I can't deal with it."

The arrest of Taylor, who records indicate was a student at Oak Grove Academy, came one week after the arrest of Nathan Walker, 16, and nine days after the arrest of Avion Lawson, 14, whose DNA was found in a condom at the victims' home, police said.

Police said Lawson confessed to participating in the June 18 attack but Walker has not.

Taylor, who was first interviewed by police two days after the attack, initially denied involvement. He gave two additional statements in which he again denied any role, detectives said.

But when a crime scene investigator confirmed Thursday that Taylor's fingerprint was found inside the victims' home - near those of the other suspects - detectives arrested him.

He was picked up just as he was about to go to class at summer school, a family friend said.

Taylor admitted he was at the scene but later refused to speak about the case, detectives said. Like Walker and Lawson, Taylor's case is expected to be referred to a grand jury to ensure adult prison sentences if the boys are convicted.

According to police, the assailants tricked the woman into opening her door by saying her tires were flat, then forced her back into her home.

They allegedly raped her repeatedly, smashed a plate over her son's head, poured household chemicals into his eyes and forced them at gunpoint to have sex with each other. Friends say both are still in physical pain from their injuries.

The 35-year-old and her son moved out of Dunbar Village and have not told friends or relatives where they are staying. The woman is afraid because her attackers said they would find her and set her on fire if she told police what they did, her brother said.

The woman's father said the attackers poured ammonia on his daughter, a suffocating chemical whose gases alone can burn the eyes and lungs, in an attempt to destroy DNA evidence.

Family members said the boy now can see, though excruciating pain remains. Two days after the attack, the boy was immobile in a hospital bed, a 1 1/2 '-inch wound stitched across the top left of his skull and bandages covering both eyes.

The attackers did not seem to know the victims, who kept to themselves because the mother was worried that the neighborhood was unsafe for her son, police said.

Taylor, wearing dark green shorts and a black Michael Jordan T-shirt, smiled at the cameras outside the police station when reporters asked him whether he was guilty.

He was transferred to the Juvenile Assessment Center and will make his first court appearance today.

The arrest left Taylor's family heartbroken.

"I don't understand, I don't believe this," said Taylor's grandmother, Angela Bell, a few minutes after she heard about the arrest. "I'm so sick about this."

Police were able to match Taylor's fingerprint from the scene with prints already in their system from a Jan. 6 arrest on charges of aggravated assault and robbery by sudden snatching in West Palm Beach.

Police said he was among five assailants who attacked two men at Datura Street and Rosemary Avenue, knocking them off their bicycles as they rode home from work.

Minor, his mother, sent him to live with his grandmother on Windsor Avenue so he would stay out of trouble, said a family friend who spent Thursday by Minor's side but refused to give her name.

Taylor is an eighth-grader at Oak Grove, a school in Riviera Beach for students with behavioral problems, according to the family friend. He played youth league football and basketball and was known as a joker who apparently got "hooked up with the wrong crowd in Dunbar," the friend said. His family, including a younger brother and sister, moved to Dunbar from Boynton Beach about three years ago, she continued.

Having heard the police were asking about her son, Minor initially brought Taylor to the police station herself, the friend said. Minor has cooperated since the beginning of the investigation, police said.

Minor has been arrested eight times in Florida on charges that include fraud and making a false statement for public aid.

Taylor's father is deceased, the family friend said.

Investigators are awaiting results of tests done on other evidence from the crime scene.

"We're hoping more of it will come back and link to additional suspects," police spokesman Ted White said. "We've had investigators working 10, 15 and sometimes 20 hours a day, looking through evidence, waiting for it to come back and lead us to more arrests.

"It's been paying off."

After the attack, the mother and son walked several miles to the closest hospital for help. Not a single neighbor, some of whom HAD to have heard the attack through the paper-thin walls of the Section 8 housing, intervened or contacted authorities to stop it. All suspects are believed to be teenagers; the first one arrested was in middle school.

DanaC 07-13-2007 08:31 AM

Appalling crime. On whether they should be tried as juveniles: if they are juveniles, then they should be tried as juveniles, regardless of the nature of their crime. That they committed a horrific crime does not in any way change their age and likely level of mental/emotional development.

jester 07-13-2007 09:00 AM

this truly is a heinous crime - i don't know what your laws are concerning juveniles - my opinion would be to hold them in a facility for their age and when they become "adult" age - prosecute them as such. i know some people like to claim "products of their surroundings", but they still had a choice to make. it was the wrong choice.

Rexmons 07-13-2007 09:07 AM

i personally think they should lock all the guys who did it away until the 12yr old son turns 18, then they should let him execute each and every one of them.

DanaC 07-13-2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

this truly is a heinous crime - i don't know what your laws are concerning juveniles - my opinion would be to hold them in a facility for their age and when they become "adult" age - prosecute them as such.
Personally, I don't think anybody should be tried as an adult for a crime they committed whilst still juvenile.

smurfalicious 07-13-2007 09:21 AM

How about this, which I forgot to include in the original post:

What about the neighbors who heard what was going on and failed to contact authorities? I can understand not wanting to physically intervene for of one's own personal safety, but anyone can call the authorities anonymously. Considering this is a crime-ridden area, and that the authorities were called to that particular area twice daily on average, then it wouldn't have been out of the ordinary to have a police presence show up.

jester 07-13-2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 363516)
Personally, I don't think anybody should be tried as an adult for a crime they committed whilst still juvenile.

i understand that thought - what really gets me though is this was an adult crime - this is not something that probation is going to cure and not all prisons are a cure either, but for extreme crimes sometimes extreme punishments are needed.

Shawnee123 07-13-2007 10:27 AM

There's a whole hell of a lot more going on than a little old criminal behavior. They didn't steal penny candy. Their age became irrelevant after committing such atrocities. It's not like: well, at 18 they magically would have "known better" but since they were only kids they didn't know the magnitude of the situation.

Try them as you would try an 18 year old who committed such crimes.

glatt 07-13-2007 10:43 AM

It's a serious crime for sure, but if you are going to have a distinction in the law between kids and adults, you should always apply that distinction, regardless of the crime. If you don't like it, then get rid of the distinction in the first place.

If there is a legitimate reason for the distinction, that reason doesn't go away just because the crime is a more serious one.

DanaC 07-13-2007 10:43 AM

Quote:

i understand that thought - what really gets me though is this was an adult crime - this is not something that probation is going to cure and not all prisons are a cure either, but for extreme crimes sometimes extreme punishments are needed.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or more of these boys is still too dangerous to be allowed out into society when they are in their forties. I don't actually think extreme punishments help the situation at all. Most important issue for me, is removing dangerous people from mainstream society and keeping them incarcerated until they have been reformed enough to pose no threat.

Quote:

It's not like: well, at 18 they magically would have "known better" but since they were only kids they didn't know the magnitude of the situation.
It's not about them 'knowing better' or 'not knowing better'. It's about their understanding of the magnitude of their actions. It's about their understanding of the magnitude of the consequences of those actions. It's about the level of their ability to empathise with other human beings, which is undergoing a great deal of its development during those teenage years.

It's entirely possible that they could have got to eighteen and committed this crime, in which case they should be tried as an adult, because society can reasonably expect them to have fully developed the areas of the brain dealing with empathy and self restraint/censorship, by that age. Society can reasonably expect of them a level of understanding of the consequences of their actions appropriate for an adult.

They no doubt understand that what they did was wrong. They may well have some understanding of the consequences of their actions; but it is an understanding appropriate to the brain development of a teenager and that is different to the understanding which an adult has. That doesn't mean they should 'get away with it'. It does, in my view, mean that they should be treated as juveniles within that process and their punishment and/or rehabilitation should take that into account.

Shawnee123 07-13-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

It's not like: well, at 18 they magically would have "known better" but since they were only kids they didn't know the magnitude of the situation.
Quote:

It's not about them 'knowing better' or 'not knowing better'. It's about their understanding of the magnitude of their actions.
Which they did. Sorry, I don't buy that they just weren't "developed" enough to understand. 15, 18, 21. I didn't draw the arbitrary lines in the sand, but I sure know when those lines don't matter.

Geez peeps, they made the mom and son have sex! But I guess they didn't understand. Did their parents not have the Howard Cunningham sex talk with them?

Quote:

Taylor, wearing dark green shorts and a black Michael Jordan T-shirt, smiled at the cameras outside the police station when reporters asked him whether he was guilty.
Nice kid, just misguided.

skysidhe 07-13-2007 11:00 AM

more doom and gloom

Shawnee123 07-13-2007 11:02 AM

Perhaps they should have baked the kid.:right:

Urbane Guerrilla 07-13-2007 11:12 AM

This thread seems really more to belong in Current Events than Home Base.

Cicero 07-13-2007 12:03 PM

Yeah, Florida. What in the hell is wrong with the people in Florida?!? I didn't used to use generalized negative statements like that...but....I used to edit appeals cases for a publishing company, and I got a very good look at what the people of that great state do. I spent 4 months editing Florida, (and didn't put a dent in it) that's 10 volumes and a high production rate. By the time I was done I decided that Florida needs to just fall off the map. (I'm about to start cussing I think) This is actually average activity for the people in that fabulous state.....Numbers and numbers of rape/murders etc. etc. (you don't even want to know the horrific details).... it should be considered a national crisis. Sometimes I would cry before I left the company parking lot. The judges opinions should have started looking more like evacuation plans. Worse has definitely happened there (a whole lot) and I think if someone actually called a spade a spade, the people of Florida would go on lock down and everyone would be separated from each other just for the general health and well being of the people of the United States. *knee jerk* *twitch* Smurf- read some Florida citators and it will alleviate your shock. Florida....get out of Florida.

Sundae 07-13-2007 12:19 PM

The crimes committed are horrifying, of course. But what separates the lawless from the law-abiding is simply... the law. There is a line drawn in the sand regarding the difference between juveniles and adults, and I do believe that in order to keep the system working then you have to adhere to it.

Of course, they don't believe that in Iran:
Quote:

Iran has the shameful status of being the world’s last official executioner(1) of child offenders – people convicted of crimes committed when they were under the age of 18. It also holds the macabre distinction of having executed more child offenders than any other country in the world since 1990, according to Amnesty International’s records.(2)

In many cases, child offenders under sentence of death in Iran are kept in prison until they reach 18 before execution. In this period, some win appeals against their conviction. Some have their sentence overturned on appeal and are freed after a retrial. Some are reprieved by the family of the victim in cases of qesas (retribution) crimes and are asked to pay diyeh instead. Some are executed.

Although executions of child offenders are few compared to the total number of executions in Iran, they highlight the government’s disregard for its commitments and obligations under international law, which prohibits in all circumstances the use of the death penalty for child offenders. The executions also gravely undermine the particular obligation that all states have relating to the protection of children – one of the most vulnerable groups in society.
I found that while looking for something else - I'm not suggesting that American justice compares to Iranian, it just interested me.

smurfalicious 07-13-2007 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danac
I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or more of these boys is still too dangerous to be allowed out into society when they are in their forties... Most important issue for me, is removing dangerous people from mainstream society and keeping them incarcerated until they have been reformed enough to pose no threat...

I think you hit the nail on the head with removing dangerous people from mainstream society. I don't believe our prison system is reformatory in any way, shape or form. However, some people just don't belong in society. Britain had the right idea - throw all the criminals that can't function in society on an island somewhere far, far away. [Disclaimer: I love Australia, I don't think Aussies are criminals, and if I could vacation anywhere in the world, Australia is at the tops of my list.]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123
I don't buy that they just weren't "developed" enough to understand.

They were certainly "developed" enough to
(a) bring and wear condoms during the attack
(b) develop a plan of attack, which included 10 assailants
(c) bring and/or find guns
(d) use household chemicals to pour all over the bodies of the victims to erase DNA and other evidence
(e) and for God's sake, THEY MADE THE VICTIMS PARTAKE IN INCESTUAL ACTS AT GUNPOINT. Jesus fucking Christ!

My problem with drawing a line in the sand is that not every rule applies to every person. Our government and court system, lacking though it may be, was developed to address these kinds of issues. As an example, I know 2 brothers. 1 was mature enough to drive a vehicle at age 14. His brother is 17, and I don't think I'd trust that boy to help my 8 year old cross the street.

Maturity involves not just age, but other factors, like emotional/social/physical development, certainly socioeconomic factors play a part, and knowing the difference between right and wrong. At age 14, you know what rape and assault are, and you know they're wrong. Some of these kids have already been determined to have criminal records - and I will go out on a low and long limb here and say I will guarantee that most of these boys have criminal records already.

As far as I'm concerned - and as far as the court systems are also concerned apparently - these kids are perverts, too. Watching a young boy perform a sex act... who gets off (sexually or otherwise) on that kind of thing??? And with his mother??? I'll tell you who - the kind of people who are fucked in the head and don't belong in society where they can do this sort of thing.

smurfalicious 07-13-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 363609)
Smurf- read some Florida citators and it will alleviate your shock.

yeah, I'm in the legal field... I see a lot... will still always be shocking to me, thought, that people can do such horrible things.

I was born and raised here, and I'm not like that, the people I know aren't like that. This is why I refuse to live in West Palm, and refuse to go there. I travel to Orlando for things I can get in West Palm just because it's West Palm - I'm beginning to think it's worse than Miami.

Happy Monkey 07-13-2007 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfalicious (Post 363654)
They were certainly "developed" enough to
(a) bring and wear condoms during the attack
(b) develop a plan of attack, which included 10 assailants
(c) bring and/or find guns
(d) use household chemicals to pour all over the bodies of the victims to erase DNA and other evidence
(e) and for God's sake, THEY MADE THE VICTIMS PARTAKE IN INCESTUAL ACTS AT GUNPOINT. Jesus fucking Christ!

What do any of those have to do with "developed"?

smurfalicious 07-13-2007 01:55 PM

They had knowledge to know that what they were doing was wrong and illegal, or they wouldn't have tried to cover it up. If I committed a crime, I wouldn't know that ammonia would erase fingerprints and DNA evidence or whatever. That's because even though I'm twice the age of these little bastards, I'm less criminally "developed" than them.

Happy Monkey 07-13-2007 02:20 PM

Adulthood is more than attempting to avoid punishment. A five year old will try to avoid punishment. I still don't know whether ammonia will erase fingerprints or DNA (the article says "in an attempt to"), but it could probably be discovered pretty easily from Google or an episode of CSI.

rkzenrage 07-13-2007 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfalicious (Post 363656)
yeah, I'm in the legal field... I see a lot... will still always be shocking to me, thought, that people can do such horrible things.

I was born and raised here, and I'm not like that, the people I know aren't like that. This is why I refuse to live in West Palm, and refuse to go there. I travel to Orlando for things I can get in West Palm just because it's West Palm - I'm beginning to think it's worse than Miami.

One of the major problems with WP is that it is so transient. It causes deep-seated and multi-leveled Issues with that area.
It is a HUGE strain on the infrastructure, leaving those that live there to live on the scraps, existing with crime, within a maze of walls, surrounded by the uber-rich who don't really interact with the actual community. They have a secluded community, within the community, with no trickle-down effect. Hell, most of them are only there a few weeks out of the year, so they have no residency issues, taxes, etc, that they need contribute other than property tax. Which goes into one of the most corrupt systems that one can imagine.
It reminds me a lot of Apartheid S Africa.

seakdivers 07-13-2007 06:55 PM

I read this the other day. I found this particularly disturbing:

"So a lady was raped. Big deal," resident Paticiea Matlock said with disgust. "There's too much other crime happening here."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ang-rape_N.htm

Quote:

Fla. mother and son are attacked
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Mother and son huddled together, battered and beaten, in the bathroom — sobbing, wondering why no one came to help.
Surely the neighbors had heard their screams. The walls are thin, the screen doors flimsy in this violence-plagued housing project on the edge of downtown.

For three hours, the pair say, they endured sheer terror as the 35-year-old Haitian immigrant was raped and sodomized by up to 10 masked teenagers and her 12-year-old son was beaten in another room.

Then, mother and son were reunited to endure the unspeakable: At gunpoint, the woman was forced to perform oral sex on the boy, she later told a TV station.

Afterward, they were doused with household cleansers, perhaps in a haphazard attempt to scrub the crime scene, or maybe simply to torture the victims even more. The solutions burned the boy's eyes.

The thugs then fled, taking with them a couple of hundred dollars' worth of cash, jewelry and cellphones.

In the interview with WPTV, the mother described how she and her son sobbed in the bathroom, too shocked to move. Then, in the dark of night, they walked a mile to the hospital because they had no phone to call for help.

Two teenagers — a 14-year-old and a 16-year-old — have been arrested. Eight others are being sought.

Welcome to Dunbar Village, a place residents call hell.

"So a lady was raped. Big deal," resident Paticiea Matlock said with disgust. "There's too much other crime happening here."

Built in 1940 to house poor blacks in then-segregated West Palm Beach, Dunbar Village's 226 units sit just blocks from million-dollar condos on the Intracoastal Waterway. Billionaires lounge on beachfront property just a few miles away on Palm Beach.

The public housing project's one- and two-story barracks-style buildings are spread across 17 grassy, tree-lined acres surrounded by an 8-foot iron fence. The average rent is about $150 a month.

Almost 60% of the households in the area that includes Dunbar Village were below the poverty level in 2000, according to Census figures. Only 19% of the area's residents had high school degrees. About 9% of the adults were unemployed, nearly triple the state average.

Teenagers with gold-plated teeth wander the streets. Drug dealers hang out on nearby sidewalks. Trash bin lids are open. Flies hover over dirty diapers. Clothes dry on sagging lines.

Since the June 18 attack, police have increased patrols in the area, blocked off one entrance and will soon install surveillance cameras.

"It took this to make that happen?" Matlock, a 32-year-old single mother of three, snarled.

As in other blighted neighborhoods across the country where criminals seem to have free rein, residents here live in fear. Snitches get stitches, they say. Or worse.

"I try to be in my house no later than 7, and I don't come out," said Citoya Greenwood, 33, who lives in Dunbar with her 4-year-old daughter. "I don't even answer my door anymore." On the Fourth of July, "we didn't know if we was hearing gunshots or fireworks."

Avion Lawson, 14, and Nathan Walker, 16, will be charged as adults in the assault and gang rape, prosecutors said. They are jailed without bail.

Lawson's DNA was found in a condom at the crime scene, and he admitted involvement, authorities say. Police say Walker's palm print was discovered inside the home. He denies being there. His attorney says he will plead not guilty. Lawson's public defender did not return telephone messages.

Walker and Lawson did not live at Dunbar but visited often. Lawson stayed with his grandmother there. Walker came to hang out and play basketball. Dunbar has become the place to be for wayward black teens, residents and neighborhood kids say.

Walker and Lawson both grew up mostly fatherless, bouncing between homes. Walker's family sometimes lived in old cars or abandoned houses, said his mother, Ruby Nell Walker.

"We've never really had a real home," said Naporcha Walker, Nathan's 15-year-old sister.

He dropped out of school after spending three years in seventh grade. The family lives on food stamps and recently had to pawn their television and radio, Ruby Walker said.

"I just feel like he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. ... My son is not a rapist," she said.

Ruby Walker said she herself was raped twice, at ages 7 and 12. She said that just days before the Dunbar attack, someone tried to rape her again, and "my son came to me crying and said he wouldn't ever do that to anyone."

She has had her own problems with the law — at least nine arrests on charges such as disorderly conduct, aggravated assault and battery, according to state records.

Avion Lawson was a headstrong kid, never listening to his mother, said his cousin, Cassandra Ellis.

"I knew he was bad, but I never pictured him to be that type of bad," Ellis said. She said one traumatic experience may have scarred him — watching his older sister fatally stab a boyfriend.

"It was an accident. She killed her boyfriend. They was fighting, there was a knife," Ellis said. "He was there when it happened."

City officials are quick to note that neither Lawson nor Walker lived at Dunbar, and say they are doing their best to make the place safe.

As quickly as overhead lights can be replaced, they are shot out, so officials are now considering bulletproof lighting.

"Isn't that quite a commentary on what the situation is there?" said City Commissioner Molly Douglas, whose district includes part of Dunbar. "Dunbar Village is a hell hole. They shouldn't have to live in fear."

More officers are hitting the streets, but "I just bow my head sometimes and think we just couldn't possibly have enough officers ever to take care of all of this," Douglas said.

Laurel Robinson, head of the city's housing authority, said that up until about four years ago, the federal government provided the city with $160,000 a year for security in public housing projects, but Congress did away with the money.

"Every family housing project in the country has suffered because of it," she said.

The rape victim and her son have not returned to their apartment since the attack.

The woman fled Port-au-Prince, Haiti, with her son seven years ago in search of a better life. With no money, they landed in Dunbar. The two almost instantly became targets for crime, standing out as Haitians among the mostly American-born blacks in the housing project. Her car and the boy's bicycle were stolen. Their house was ransacked.

On the night of the attack, she was lured outside by a teenager who knocked on the door and said her car had a flat. Nine more teens, their faces shrouded with T-shirts, barged in, she told authorities. They brandished guns and demanded money, then went beyond the imaginable.

"I was so scared," the woman told WPTV. "Some of them had sex with me twice, some of them had sex with me three times. They're beating me up. They make me do those things over and over. The man with the big gun, he put the gun inside of me."

She said that when she was forced to perform oral sex on her own son, she told the boy: "I know you love me, and I love you, too."

Investigators say it is not clear exactly why the thugs picked her house.

The boy's sight has returned. Both mother and son are seeking counseling.

"I have to try and talk to him every day. He's so angry," the woman said. "He said we never should have moved to Dunbar Village."

piercehawkeye45 07-13-2007 08:55 PM

God, that is so disturbing. Those kids are going to get whats coming to them. I want to know the intentions of this is. I'm guessing there was one or two ring leaders and all the rest followed but what the fuck is going on in those kid's minds?

Quote:

"It took this to make that happen?" Matlock, a 32-year-old single mother of three, snarled.
I think this quote gives the most insight on the situation.

Bullitt 07-13-2007 09:20 PM

I agree with the idea that juveniles should be tried and sentenced as such, distinct from adults. But in my mind, there comes a point where the crime committed far overshadows the age of the offender. Like this case for example. Juveniles that with intent commit life threatening crimes, esp. of a sexual nature, should be tried as adult without hesitation. These crimes are far more serious than simple stealing, etc.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 363560)
Which they did. Sorry, I don't buy that they just weren't "developed" enough to understand. 15, 18, 21. I didn't draw the arbitrary lines in the sand, but I sure know when those lines don't matter.

In all of my education classes (I'm pursuing a degree in special education/early childhood for those who don't know, which is probably close to everyone haha), something that is stressed throughout every class is that age does not matter. Every child grows and develops personally and socially at different rates and at different stages. It is not a simple ladder. Using age to discriminate between juveniles and adults though convenient, shows its profound weakness and ineffectiveness in times like this. This runs into my unpopular opinion that our country needs to refocus on our public education system first and foremost and incorporate it, via various tests and standards that have to be met, into the two big stages of responsibility dictated by the government: turning 16 and being able to drive, and turning 18 and being called an "adult" and everything that comes with that age.
"And now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast"

xoxoxoBruce 07-13-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 (Post 363829)
God, that is so disturbing. Those kids are going to get whats coming to them. I want to know the intentions of this is. I'm guessing there was one or two ring leaders and all the rest followed but what the fuck is going on in those kid's minds?

I think this quote gives the most insight on the situation.

This is exactly what I was talking about.
Quote:

Once again you're criticizing what he didn't say. He said, "black males age 13 who have been raised on the streets and who have joined criminal gangs". As Clodfobble pointed out that could also apply to other races and probably the Hispanics in that situation outnumber the Blacks now. Insensitive, not PC, perhaps... but that doesn't make him racist.
I'm betting you have yet to confront one of these little bastards... believe me, they are scary.

Yznhymr 07-14-2007 12:00 AM

Off with their heads and stick them on tall poles for all to see. Boo to you if you don't like it. They should never be allowed to victimize someone else.

rkzenrage 07-14-2007 12:02 AM

Then we become what they are.
No difference.

Clodfobble 07-14-2007 09:58 AM

That logic really only works with murderers, rkz. Last I checked, even the harshest criminal sentences don't amount to gang-raping them, pouring ammonia in their eyes, or forcing them to receive a blowjob from their mothers.

Cicero 07-14-2007 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 363887)
No difference.

I think that it's pretty hard to force yourself on people if you don't have arms anymore, and if somehow that doesn't work you can just keep taking random limbs that have been identified in other crimes..............I'm willing to start a rehabilitation center if anyone would like to invest. Shoot, I'd be willing to go non-profit for that.......Now RK do you think that makes me a mother rapsit?
:)

freshnesschronic 07-14-2007 12:30 PM

I'm betting they have character disorders, which are different from mental disorders. But since they have character disorders they are not mental cases and therefore possess normal human characteristics with just some major concerning flaws in their personalities.

A perfect example of underage sexual predators, except these boys are just that, boys.

xoxoxoBruce 07-14-2007 01:02 PM

No, they are much, much more than "just boys" They are scum, degenerates, rapists, sadists, torturers, thieves, lowlife mother fuckers that should never see the light of day again.

Cicero 07-14-2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 363982)
I'm betting they have character disorders, which are different from mental disorders. But since they have character disorders they are not mental cases and therefore possess normal human characteristics with just some major concerning flaws in their personalities.

A perfect example of underage sexual predators, except these boys are just that, boys.

Character Disorders? What is that? I've never seen that in a diagnostics manual........maybe you have a newer version.:rolleyes:
Maybe you are referring to "personility disorders". Which is also a mental disorder. Maybe you are referring to organic vs. non- organic?

In keeping with your verbiage anyway....let's give you an example as to why your logic doesn't work:

1. I have a flaw in my personality because I procrastinate heavily. (true)
2. I have a flaw in my personality because I procrastinate heavily and gun rape someone in front of their son.
(false)

Uisge Beatha 07-14-2007 01:15 PM

I have been trying to sort through my thoughts and feelings on this since yesterday morning. The extremity of this attack arouses terrible disgust and anger in me; my gut reaction is along the lines of "hang 'em." However, I can't allow wild emotion to dictate my response. As Dana, glatt, and SG said, the law is clear and I believe it must be followed. We have to protect society from vicious brutes, yet we must take care to remember the difference between justice and vegeance while doing so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage
No difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble
That logic really only works with murderers, rkz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero
snip~Now RK do you think that makes me a mother rapsit?

I doubt rk meant it quite so literally as that. My blood boils and my skin crawls as I think about what these teens did. Their acts are unconscionable. However, I know that were I to employ extreme and violent means in dealing with them, I would become the very thing I hate. Lock them away to prevent a repeat attack? Yes. Kill or dismember them? I could not, in good conscience, act so similarly to how they have.

rkzenrage 07-14-2007 01:41 PM

Exactly.
Employ the tactics of what you hate, become that thing, precisely that thing with NO difference.

Sheldonrs 07-14-2007 01:54 PM

I believe the boys who did this are a product of their environment and yes it is a shame.
But if a pitbull is raised to be vicious and it attacks someone, you don't just say "well he was a product of his evironment and maybe we can show him the error of his ways. Once an animal has committed an act this horrible, you put it down becuase it will do it again if it gets the chance.

And hopefully we can try to make places like that better so this won't happen again.

Cicero 07-14-2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uisge Beatha (Post 363992)
I have been trying to sort through my thoughts and feelings on this since yesterday morning. The extremity of this attack arouses terrible disgust and anger in me; my gut reaction is along the lines of "hang 'em." However, I can't allow wild emotion to dictate my response. As Dana, glatt, and SG said, the law is clear and I believe it must be followed. We have to protect society from vicious brutes, yet we must take care to remember the difference between justice and vegeance while doing so.

I doubt rk meant it quite so literally as that. My blood boils and my skin crawls as I think about what these teens did. Their acts are unconscionable. However, I know that were I to employ extreme and violent means in dealing with them, I would become the very thing I hate. Lock them away to prevent a repeat attack? Yes. Kill or dismember them? I could not, in good conscience, act so similarly to how they have.

Yeah, you can lock them up, let them sit around and glorify their actions with their new friends, and let them get out on good behavior after a couple of years........ I wonder what comes next? Maybe by then they will have matured enough to cover up their crimes more effectively and not get caught. Still up against the same little monsters...except (oh joy) a little older, stronger, and clever.

It's worse than murder, those people have to live with what happened. Those little demons made sure of that didn't they? Why didn't they kill them both?
Because they knew it would be too horrible for anyone to live with. :(
So of course, that's what they did.:mad:
What makes you think that woman and her son don't deserve revenge? I think they do.
Oh, but we aren't speaking literally and we are too "civilized" to know our a** from our elbow.
I think your initial reaction was the honest one until you intellectualized it to make your self feel better.

freshnesschronic 07-14-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 363991)
Character Disorders? What is that? I've never seen that in a diagnostics manual........maybe you have a newer version.:rolleyes:
Maybe you are referring to "personility disorders". Which is also a mental disorder. Maybe you are referring to organic vs. non- organic?

In keeping with your verbiage anyway....let's give you an example as to why your logic doesn't work:

1. I have a flaw in my personality because I procrastinate heavily. (true)
2. I have a flaw in my personality because I procrastinate heavily and gun rape someone in front of their son.
(false)

Google "character disorder", I learned it in college pyschology class, from a documentary on sex offenders who are incarcerated but not as harshly as other criminals and receive outside help to identify their character disorder.
I don't know if it's right, I just thought MAYBE that could be a possibility, so get off me man. And yes it is different from personality disorder, I can't remember how but it is.

I never pardoned the wrongdoings of the boys, but I was suggesting that MAYBE it could be because of character disorder. But maybe not, I'm not a psychologist, but hey, neither are you.

xoxoxoBruce 07-14-2007 02:34 PM

What possible difference does it make what kind of disorder the monsters have. Are you going to worry about what kind of disorder Godzilla might have while he eats the god damn city?

Uisge Beatha 07-14-2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldonrs
And hopefully we can try to make places like that better so this won't happen again.

Indeed, we need to clean up many such situations. In this, I agree with Bullitt; the U.S. has to improve the public education system as one means toward the goal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero
What makes you think that woman and her son don't deserve revenge? I think they do.
Oh, but we aren't speaking literally and we are too "civilized" to know our a** from our elbow.
I think your initial reaction was the honest one until you intellectualized it to make your self feel better.

I'm afraid it just isn't that simple, at least not for me. In fact, I have a very small insight into some of the horror of that family. My marriage fell apart a few years ago largely because of emotional problems my wife has. The woman that I still love (despite lousy things that happened between us) was molested by her own uncle when she was six years old. Needless to say, this affected her deeply and scarred her for life. When I first heard about this, my stomach almost emptied itself and I thought I would kill her uncle if I ever met him. She somehow has found enough of a way to deal with it to at least keep herself from violence and convince me to do likewise. This is definitley not the same thing as being that woman or her child, yet I do know the feeling of rage and dealing with it.

I previously said I favor locking up the attackers. Most likely this should be for life, without chance of parole. I still can't agree with more violence, however. It has to stop somewhere.

xoxoxoBruce 07-14-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uisge Beatha (Post 364003)
Indeed, we need to clean up many such situations. In this, I agree with Bullitt; the U.S. has to improve the public education system as one means toward the goal.

Don't blame this shit on the schools.
Quote:

He dropped out of school after spending three years in seventh grade.
The schools tried, but he dropped out. This is clearly the fault of the parents/families, nobody else.

Quote:

I'm afraid it just isn't that simple, at least not for me. In fact, I have a very small insight into some of the horror of that family. My marriage fell apart a few years ago largely because of emotional problems my wife has. The woman that I still love (despite lousy things that happened between us) was molested by her own uncle when she was six years old. Needless to say, this affected her deeply and scarred her for life. When I first heard about this, my stomach almost emptied itself and I thought I would kill her uncle if I ever met him. She somehow has found enough of a way to deal with it to at least keep herself from violence and convince me to do likewise. This is definitley not the same thing as being that woman or her child, yet I do know the feeling of rage and dealing with it.

I previously said I favor locking up the attackers. Most likely this should be for life, without chance of parole. I still can't agree with more violence, however. It has to stop somewhere.
OK, don't fry the little fuckers, just do to them what they did to this family, for the rest of their lives.

jinx 07-14-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

previously said I favor locking up the attackers. Most likely this should be for life, without chance of parole. I still can't agree with more violence, however. It has to stop somewhere.
There's no violence in prison? We'll just lock them away from the rest of us and pat ourselves on the back for being civilized then?

Cicero 07-14-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uisge Beatha (Post 364003)
This is definitley not the same thing as being that woman or her child, yet I do know the feeling of rage and dealing with it.

Not the same thing because
you haven't even given a scenario where you were actually a victim.
Special insight?
Nah.......

Uisge Beatha 07-14-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
OK, don't fry the little fuckers, just do to them what they did to this family, for the rest of their lives.

I must maintain my personal aversion to violence as I just can't see any value in it. In all honesty, what would you hope to achieve?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx
There's no violence in prison? We'll just lock them away from the rest of us and pat ourselves on the back for being civilized then?

Touchι. By all accounts, prison is a terrible place. Perhaps the methods of incarceration can be addressed. I will be the first to admit that I have few, if any, of the important answers. I simply feel the need to find alternatives to brute tactics.

xoxoxoBruce 07-14-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uisge Beatha (Post 364007)
I must maintain my personal aversion to violence as I just can't see any value in it. In all honesty, what would you hope to achieve?

Make sure they never do it again plus a deterrent the the fuckers in waiting.

rkzenrage 07-14-2007 03:33 PM

More violence is a deterrent to violence! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...bombs/High.gif

xoxoxoBruce 07-14-2007 03:37 PM

It certainly would be to these rodents.

Uisge Beatha 07-14-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Make sure they never do it again plus a deterrent the the fuckers in waiting.

Indeed, they would not be able to do it again. I'd say the same result would be achieved by lifetime imprisonment. As to deterrence, I am not so sure. I've heard various claims denouncing the deterrent value of prison, so I fear the same might hold true here. I honestly don't know if it would have the desired effect. I must admit I am fairly certain Bruce knows more about this than I do; he seems much more knowledgeable and well-read on social issues. My ethics are my own guide here, though, and they are quite firmly established.

I actually respect everyone else's right to their opinions and appreciate the opportunity to discuss them. At the moment it seems rather obvious to me that we are at something of an impasse, however. Perhaps for now it would be best (as the expression goes) to simply agree to disagree.

freshnesschronic 07-14-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 364002)
What possible difference does it make what kind of disorder the monsters have. Are you going to worry about what kind of disorder Godzilla might have while he eats the god damn city?

Ummmmmm read my second part of the my post, I don't agree any less with you that they are monsters.

xoxoxoBruce 07-14-2007 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uisge Beatha (Post 364013)
As to deterrence, I am not so sure. I've heard various claims denouncing the deterrent value of prison, so I fear the same might hold true here.

You're right about prison not being a deterrent. The street punks aren't afraid of prison. They expect it before they are 21. They don't fear it because their buddies are there waiting for them and when they get out it gives them street creds.

If prison isn't a deterrent or rehabilitation facility, then it's only doing a small part of what it should. Since "hard labor" went out with sword fighting and knickers, the only bad thing about prison, for these hoods, is the boredom. For kids waiting all day on the street corner, or basketball court, for something interesting to happen, that's not much of a deterrent.

xoxoxoBruce 07-14-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 364014)
Ummmmmm read my second part of the my post, I don't agree any less with you that they are monsters.

I didn't question the second part of your post, I just said the first part is a moot point.

Aliantha 07-14-2007 06:52 PM

Godzilla is a fictional character.

These kids are real.

It's shocking and disgusting what they've done.

They should pay for their crime.

If they're sent to adult prison, they'll definitely get a piece of what they gave.

Any chance of rehabilitation for them?

I doubt it.

piercehawkeye45 07-14-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 364041)
You're right about prison not being a deterrent. The street punks aren't afraid of prison. They expect it before they are 21. They don't fear it because their buddies are there waiting for them and when they get out it gives them street creds.

If prison isn't a deterrent or rehabilitation facility, then it's only doing a small part of what it should. Since "hard labor" went out with sword fighting and knickers, the only bad thing about prison, for these hoods, is the boredom. For kids waiting all day on the street corner, or basketball court, for something interesting to happen, that's not much of a deterrent.

You also can't forget you have gauranteed shelter and food, sometimes entertainment.

xoxoxoBruce 07-14-2007 10:25 PM

True, some people live much more comfortably in prison than on the street. Sure as hell wouldn't be my choice, though.

rkzenrage 07-15-2007 12:52 AM

Not by a long-shot. I've been on the street and, well not prison but jail.
I would still choose the street ANY DAY of the week.
& I was one of the guys who got his way... I can't imagine what it was like for the pretty boys, ugh!

xoxoxoBruce 07-15-2007 01:17 AM

Pretty or not, if you have a clique of your hoodies, gang members and relatives waiting for you on the inside, it's not a problem. It's only a problem for guys like us that are on our own.

rkzenrage 07-15-2007 02:35 AM

Most people on the street are not alone either. Everyone I knew had a peer group.

xoxoxoBruce 07-15-2007 12:08 PM

Sure, but on the street, you don't get the;
Quote:

Originally Posted by PH45
You also can't forget you have gauranteed shelter and food, sometimes entertainment.

That was the case for being more comfortable in prison than on the street.

You brought up the dangers;
Quote:

I can't imagine what it was like for the pretty boys, ugh!
And I pointed out that isn't a problem for these scumbags;
Quote:

Pretty or not, if you have a clique of your hoodies, gang members and relatives waiting for you on the inside, it's not a problem. It's only a problem for guys like us that are on our own.
Now I'd definitely rather be on the street, but it's not a deterrent for these scumbags that commit these atrocities.

wolf 07-15-2007 03:00 PM

Character disorder = personality disorder.

This is NOT equivalent to someone who has a diagnosable major mental illness (Depression, Schizophrenia, Bipolar, etc.), although I'll betcha dollars to doughnuts that each of these perpetrators carries one or more of these diagnoses, even if they don't actually exhibit the full symptom spectrum. Why? Insurance companies don't pay for personality disorders.

These bastards just need to die.

xoxoxoBruce 07-15-2007 03:06 PM

[Threadjack] Wolf, I caught some guy on TV last night claiming a huge percentage of the people taking up space in the state and county jails should really be in your care. It was just a clip and I didn't get the details.[/threadjack]