The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Perfect positions (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9781)

-[Stykz]- 12-29-2005 07:59 AM

Perfect positions

Gah. Ever been perched upon your chair, concealed wholly by a blanket? Or trying to?

It's rather nippy in my house, so I grab a blanket. But no matter what, the arm controlling the mouse betrays it all. What are some normal activities that require a special position to work properly?

Like... writing. While laying on your side. But you must support your head with your writing hand.

barefoot serpent 12-29-2005 09:22 AM

ah... I thought this was going to be a discussion about the pros & cons of the Missionary position. Sorry, wrong category.

When asked if he could 'do it all over again', Groucho Marx replied: Try more positions.

Elspode 12-29-2005 10:53 AM

I have a tendency to work at my desk and computer while sitting forward on the edge of my chair. I don't know why, but I do. This leads to an unsupported and aching back, and a chronic pain in my left thigh from where it presses against the armrest support bar.

I'm hopeless.

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2005 02:39 PM

I picked up the habit of tucking my right foot under my left leg while sitting in a easy chair watching TV, fom my Dad.
Do not do this!!!
He ended up having the knee replaced after years of suffering, whereas I broke the habit after about 10 years.
I still have one very screwed up right knee. :(

zippyt 12-29-2005 03:38 PM

I used to work with this guy that always had neck pain , I found out why one day , i went to his house to give him a hand with a celing fan , after we got finished he wanted to show me a few web sites , he had the BIG desk , and this SMALL short chair , he was looking up to his Puter like it was a GOD !!!!
I sat there surfing around for about 10 minets and my neck started hurting as well , then i got a couple of phone books to sit on , this brought the moneter to about face level , MUCH better !!! he tryed it as well , and said " well i wish i had tryed that befor that back surgery for pinched nerves !!!!"

Common sence people !!!
its called ERGONOMICS , or putting your body in a nuteral position .

monster 01-03-2006 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I picked up the habit of tucking my right foot under my left leg while sitting in a easy chair watching TV, fom my Dad.
Do not do this!!!
(

Is it OK to tuck your left foot under your right leg while sitting in an office chair perusing bulletin boards? Because you caught me out. I keep trying to sit the other way or straight when I realise I'm doing it, but my body parts are in a conspiracy against my brain and they have more cells....

xoxoxoBruce 01-03-2006 10:16 PM

You have been warned, monster. :eyebrow:

monster 01-03-2006 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
You have been warned, monster. :eyebrow:

:worried:

BigV 01-04-2006 01:36 PM

I'll consider myself warned as well. Because that's exactly my posture right now, but at dining room chair/table. Spooky.

Happy Monkey 01-04-2006 01:39 PM

How about right big toe under right front chair leg? For some reason I occasionally end up in that position.

Trilby 01-04-2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
How about right big toe under right front chair leg? For some reason I occasionally end up in that position.

That is your subconscious. It wants to smash your big toe for being mean. To me.

Happy Monkey 01-04-2006 02:30 PM

Goddamn toe. My subconscious also knocked off its nail when moving furniture once... Apparently it's a constant battle.

mrnoodle 01-04-2006 02:43 PM

I do the thing with the chair leg and my toe, too. I can't stand chairs that don't go back. I relish the feel of that moment when you're rocking on the back legs, let go and tip lightly back against the wall rather than go forward. It's almost Tourette's-like. It has to feel just right or I will keep tipping back till it does.

Then I'm fine, and can sit normally until the next tipping urge strikes. Weird, huh?

Happy Monkey 01-04-2006 02:53 PM

It's like we're twins, separated at birth!

xoxoxoBruce 01-04-2006 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
I'll consider myself warned as well. Because that's exactly my posture right now, but at dining room chair/table. Spooky.

I am the ghost of future knee pain. :thepain3: