The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What was the most recent documentary you watched on TV? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16094)

Griff 10-12-2015 09:14 AM

I think his windmill does most of the battery charging.

xoxoxoBruce 10-12-2015 09:29 AM

Oh, then are they water panels?

Beest 10-12-2015 11:18 AM

A Nova show, The First Air War. About the evolution of aircraft during the WWI.
The twist is that there is an American guy in New Zealand with a workshop and team of guys that build the planes from scratch according to original blue prints so instead of just old pictures there is great footage of the planes being flown.

They could also test out some stuff like dogfighting two planes to see which is superior.

Griff 10-12-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 941711)
Oh, then are they water panels?

I'll have to ask him, I think he has both but the solar cells may be on his battery shed.

Griff 10-12-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beest (Post 941721)
A Nova show, The First Air War. About the evolution of aircraft during the WWI.
The twist is that there is an American guy in New Zealand with a workshop and team of guys that build the planes from scratch according to original blue prints so instead of just old pictures there is great footage of the planes being flown.

They could also test out some stuff like dogfighting two planes to see which is superior.

How cool is that? I'll answer that's pretty damn cool.

xoxoxoBruce 10-12-2015 01:28 PM

Way cool, NOVA, PBS, and the internet for that matter, have unearthed some long hidden treasures in photographs and film. Most of it not intentionally hidden, but just unknown outside a circle of the holder's friends. Companies fold and some employee grabs records being trashed for a keepsake, or an employee took behind the scenes photos of historic events, when there was no news organizations who wanted them. I mean who takes snapshots at events thinking they are a historic record, just souvenirs to show friends. Unfortunately the snapshots taken today have the owner's mug in every damn shot. :rolleyes:

Dude111 10-22-2015 01:36 AM

I dont watch TV really anymore because its all RUBBISH but the last documentary I watched was NAKED STATES (2000) on VHS .. I got it @ salvation army....

www.imdb.com/title/tt0259453

It was beautiful seeing ppl NOT BE AFRAID to pose naked for this guy... Most people are so brainwashed they think its wrong to be seen nude.... Its a shame really.....

Spexxvet 10-29-2015 07:45 AM

I think it was titled $chooled: The High Cost of College Sports.

Very educational

Dude111 10-30-2015 05:42 AM

Yea most documentaries are :)

xoxoxoBruce 10-30-2015 11:51 AM

Agreed, I split documentaries into interesting or Zzzhttp://cellar.org/2015/Yawn.gif. But interesting is a very personal call. By saying a particular thing was interesting I'm voicing an opinion, and those listening to me would have to know something about me to make a judgment. That's why anything Patrick Stoner(critic for PBS) says is interesting, I'll only watch as a last resort.

DanaC 10-30-2015 12:08 PM

The last documentary I watched was sort of a documentary - but also a pop-culture history clip show with celeb guests commenting. It was a continuation of the excellent 'It was alright in the 1970s'. This time it was looking at telly in the 80s and was fascinating.

I also watched, on the same evening, the first part of 'The Celts: Blood, Iron and Sacrifice', with Neil Oliver and Alice Roberts. I usually really like Oliver, and have watched quite a few of his documentaries. I quite like Alice Roberts too, as an academic, but I sometimes find the style of her documentaries a little grating. I found the programme interesting, but very slow and to be honest I could do without all the docudrama scenes wrapped around it. I'd have preferred the analysis to have been a little more compact and the delivery of headline findings a little less heavy-handed.

glatt 10-30-2015 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 943867)
I'm voicing an opinion, and those listening to me would have to know something about me to make a judgment.

I've got one friend IRL and I love it when he tells me a movie is good because he has the worst taste you can imagine, and I know what to skip.

xoxoxoBruce 10-30-2015 02:43 PM

But when he saw the movie it was great, it's not his fault you picked a bad night to see it. :haha:

Clodfobble 10-30-2015 02:49 PM

Saw one awhile back called "Approaching the Elephant," about an attempt at a very different alternative school (many wouldn't even call it that.) It was interesting, but very much proved that just because the current public schools are bad doesn't mean every other idea is better.

be-bop 11-01-2015 04:23 AM

I saw a programme on Sky arts called "Finding Vivian Maier"
Or Mary Poppins with a camera,
When Vivian died she left over 150,000 images, negative and prints in storage, she was never published in her lifetime but it's only now being realised how important her pictures are.
Most of the stuff they showed was street shots of people and areas now long gone in New York and other towns she lived and worked in.
D
she seemed to be a total eccentric especially towards the end of her life but what a photographer eye she had, any one interested in photography should try and see some of her work you tube has stuff and there's lots on the net.
I was blown away by some of the images.