The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brexit (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32043)

sexobon 07-04-2016 02:53 PM

Maybe Britain can exit the EU in principle; but, not in actuality and call it "Brexit with Honor."

monster 07-04-2016 03:58 PM

Is coming out of the EU like coming out of the closet?

sexobon 07-04-2016 10:14 PM

Coming out of the closet, stumbling across the hallway, and falling down the stairs.

The Brexiteers are going to need their own nightclubs.

sexobon 01-16-2017 09:24 PM

Awwww ... :hug:

Quote:

LONDON — President-elect Donald Trump has given Brexiteers hope that there will be a bilateral trade deal in the offing as British Prime Minister Theresa May prepares to give a speech expected to signal that Britain is ready to make a clean break with the European Union.

In a wide-ranging interview with the Times of London, Trump praised Britain’s decision to leave the European Union and said that the United States would “very quickly” draw up a trade deal with the United Kingdom once it leaves the bloc.

“I’m a big fan of the U.K., we’re going to work very hard to get it done quickly and done properly,” Trump said in an interview with Michael Gove, a Conservative politician and prominent Brexiteer. Gove is also a columnist for the newspaper.

A speedy U.S.-U.K. trade deal, Trump said, would be good for the United States and the United Kingdom, and he added that he plans to meet with May shortly after he takes office Friday.

“I will be meeting with [Theresa May] — in fact, if you want, you can see the letter, wherever the letter is, she just sent it. She’s requesting a meeting and we’ll have a meeting right after I get into the White House and . . . we’re gonna get something done very quickly,” he said in the interview, conducted at Trump Tower in New York. ...
... cont'd.

xoxoxoBruce 01-16-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

“I’m a big fan of the U.K., we’re going to work very hard to get it done quickly and done properly,” Trump said in an interview with Michael Gove, a Conservative politician and prominent Brexiteer.
As soon as those pesky Scots stop fucking with his golf courses. :rolleyes:

edit, told you so.

tw 03-16-2017 09:02 AM

We have now moved from Bexit to Brexodus. Destruction of the British economy has begun.

Pi 03-20-2017 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 984381)
We have now moved from Bexit to Brexodus. Destruction of the British economy has begun.

Oh well, bring it on : https://www.ft.com/content/72a98d1e-...5-c9357a75844a
:cool:

tw 03-20-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi (Post 984613)

Financial Times cannot be read without a subscription.

I asked various bank management people where they would move. I expected Frankfort as a most likely center. With Dublin or Paris as alternatives. Some completely surprised me - Belgium will be the new European home of one major US bank.

A banking center in Britain could also service 27 other countries. No longer. Worse place to run operations from will be Britian. To anyone with an education, that was obvious.

GM is continuing to sell off capital assets so that top management can claim big bonuses by creating a (fictionally creating) profit. Next to go will probably be Opel (also known as Vauxhall). Car parts are made throughout Europe. Assembled in Britain. Then sold elsewhere. No longer. Those part both incoming and assembled cars outgoing will be subject to tariffs. So most car production in Britain will close. This is good according to so many Brits; especially in the Midlands.

Best is for Scotland to succeed from Britain before Brexodus happens. Otherwise Scotland will be punished for the stupidity of so many in England. No wonder so many in England like Donald Trump.

xoxoxoBruce 03-20-2017 01:24 PM

Reuters
Quote:

Earlier this month, PSA Group agreed to buy Opel from GM in a deal valuing the business at 2.2 billion euros ($2.3 billion), helping the French firm to become Europe's second largest automaker by sales.

"This will allow the group to conquer the rest of the world step by step. This remains an important goal for PSA," Jean-Philippe Peugeot said in a joint interview together with his cousin Robert Peugeot.
Detroit News
Quote:

Ford Motor Co. will invest 600 million euros ($644 million) in its Saarlouis Vehicle Assembly Operations in Germany, where the company will make its next-generation Focus.

Undertoad 04-10-2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 962546)
I think I would be on the Remain side whilst secretly wanting to preserve what is uniquely British. (Cheddar, Her Maj, and football hooliganism. Well do keep the cheese)

Headline: "Humble block of cheddar cheese amongst Brexit's first victims" I thought, the fuck! Did somebody read my post or something? Then I noticed: Irish cheddar. Right, eff them! There's no particular need to import Irish cheddar is there? No! British cheddar has actually been defended.

And as far as the pull quote "Nobody else eats Cheddar, it can't be diverted off to France," You could leave EU and join with Britain, only then it would be BR/IE... and once again with the cheese...

xoxoxoBruce 04-10-2017 11:55 PM

Scotland will split off and join Newfoundland. They're closer than the US mainland and Hawaii.
You heard it here first... or 5th... or 50th. ;)

tw 04-11-2017 10:46 AM

Prime Minister May will now demand that Ireland pay for the wall. Did she and Brexit extremists not say that yet?

Pamela 04-12-2017 11:04 PM

The second most common phrase in British history is, "We've have finally solved the Irish problem once and for all." The most common phrase is, "What do you mean, the Irish are in revolt, again?"

h/t Mike Konrad

xoxoxoBruce 04-12-2017 11:50 PM

I've frequently hear the Irish are revolting. :yesnod: