The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   I need IDEAS, please!!! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18816)

Treasenuak 11-25-2008 08:37 AM

I need IDEAS, please!!!

Okay... so Ted (my boyfriend/housemate) is turning 41 on December 10th. Arwen, William, and I all want to have a party for him... but we're not sure how to go about it/what to do, etc, as none of us have thrown a party of ANY kind before, let alone a birthday party (other than my one year old daughter's). So... suggestions? Ted hasn't had a birthday party since he was a kid. We'd like to make this one extra special. Ted's involved with the Society for Creative Anachronism, is a computer geek and loves Star Trek and Babylon 5 and Star Wars, is an AMAZING chef, and is a wonderful dancer and fencer.

So if anyone has any ideas or clues on how to go about this or what to do, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thank you!!

glatt 11-25-2008 08:51 AM

Well, to start with, maybe you should have some good food, some music, and a variety of beverages. And invite all his friends over. As a 41 year old myself, that's what I'd like in a party.

Treasenuak 11-25-2008 08:53 AM

-laughs- Well, we'd figured on teh food, music, and beverages. As for friends, though... Ted doesn't have too many of those in THIS area, other than Arwen and William and myself. His friend since first grade lives in Atlanta and can't make it out this way for his birthday... and all the rest of his family and friends are equally far away. So... :( on a lot of friends coming over.

DanaC 11-25-2008 08:53 AM

His interests are begging for some kind of themed party...

Depending on which flavour of Star Trek he prefers...there are some Star Trek cookbooks available (yes, I did own one...no, I didn't buy it myself). There's a Neelix cookbook that manages to mimic some of the Klingon dishes quite well...there're a lot of cool of cool sounding drinks mentioned in star trek...

Or be creatively anachronistic in your drinks and food choices *grins*

glatt 11-25-2008 08:54 AM

I forgot decorations. A string or two of tiki lights going across the room will help change the feeling of whatever room you are using.

Treasenuak 11-25-2008 08:55 AM

Hmmm.... Not a bad idea. I think he prefers Next Gen, and Klingon dishes for dinner would be FUN!! (considering I've got two AMAZING cooks involved here!)

Cicero 11-25-2008 10:59 AM

Yep themed party. Also have a list of games to play as geeks like to play games on the majority. I know I do......Keep it moving with games. I have a list of party games if you ever want to hear them.

I also bet you could find a star trek based game out there somewhere.

TheMercenary 11-25-2008 11:06 AM

How about a star trek costume party with adult prizes for the best costumes.

Shawnee123 11-25-2008 11:15 AM

Adult prizes? Like Tribble Dildos? ;)

Cicero 11-25-2008 11:18 AM

No, the birthday boy has the best costume no matter what mmm'kay?

Themed party idea is great, but give the birthday boy his kudos, right.

It's best to have games that exercise his brain in a fun way.

lumberjim 11-25-2008 11:45 AM

there are all kinds of hookers and strippers available on Craig's lists, I'm told.

smoothmoniker 11-25-2008 12:12 PM

Why not setup a webcam, tie it to a big TV, and let the remote family and friends drop in for a few minutes at a time to join in the festivities.

Treasenuak 11-25-2008 12:55 PM

SM, that is a STELLAR idea... I'll have to run that by my co-conspirators, see what we can hook up.

Shawnee... Tribble dildos? And this is why I lurve you, girl...

Cic... Party games. Not a bad idea at all. And if I twist it right, it'll give the boys a chance to pull out their swords and be all manly and such ;)

Everyone, thank you for the input! Keep it coming!

Sundae 11-25-2008 01:14 PM

Next Generation Drinking Game
I used to play this (or one similar) every Christmas with my ex and a group of friends.

Treasenuak 11-25-2008 01:19 PM

SG, I've played something remarkably similar... different TV series though. Good idea... I'll have William bring over his Star Trek series DVDs :)