The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Aspartame (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10074)

Griff 02-12-2006 07:25 AM

Aspartame

The stuff always tasted like cancer to me anyway. How applicable rat studies are is always a question but the amount ingested in the study is not out of line for what some folks drink.

The research found that the sweetener was associated with unusually high rates of lymphomas, leukemias and other cancers in rats that had been given doses of it starting at what would be equivalent to four to five 20-ounce bottles of diet soda a day for a 150-pound person. The study, which involved 1,900 laboratory rats and cost $1 million, was conducted at the European Ramazzini Foundation of Oncology and Environmental Sciences, a nonprofit organization that studies cancer-causing substances; Dr. Soffritti is its scientific director.

wolf 02-12-2006 02:16 PM

I never touch the stuff. Haven't since the day it came out.

I knew that the secret behind the "same stuff in it as Bananas and Milk" advertising campaign was "long chain hydrocarbons" and that the similarity between Nutrasweet and anything natural ended right there. Nothing cracked a step or two off wood alcohol can be good for you.

xoxoxoBruce 02-12-2006 03:32 PM

They said Saccharin was bad, now they're not sure.
Those lab rats have all kinds of health issues. They rarely do a study that the damn rats don't get sick and they have to end it. :lol:

elSicomoro 02-12-2006 03:36 PM

Sucralose tastes way better than aspartame, but I'm sure someone will eventually find something wrong with that, too.

Rhoda was a big fan of stevia...I've never tried it.

wolf 02-12-2006 04:39 PM

I have a lot of new agey friends that try to foist crap like that on me. Had some at a picnic where the only available lemonade was sweetened with that stuff. I learned my lesson ... immediately went back to drinking beer.

Granola Goddess 02-13-2006 06:18 PM

I grew a stevia plant in my backyard. It actually lived. I was shocked.

footfootfoot 02-13-2006 07:28 PM

I am totally down with maple syrup. From trees. The sap.

Bee poop has its moments too.

molasses makes ginger bread yummy.

Many Years ago I worked in a bakery in Vermont. It had mainstream stuff and a selection of whole wheat cookies and such. Folks would come in ask for whole wheat croissants.

Croissants are supposed to be light and flaky and filled with butter. They are not health food. If you need the fiber in a whole wheat croissant THEN YOU ARE EATING TOO MANY CROISSANTS!

Have a carrot.

I think the same is true of sugar. If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime.

FallenFairy 02-14-2006 06:08 AM

Stevia is awesome and it is totally natural
I use it in everything...

footfootfoot 02-14-2006 10:57 AM

Stevia freaks me out for some reason. Irrational? maybe.

FallenFairy 02-14-2006 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot
Stevia freaks me out for some reason. Irrational? maybe.

Why so?? it is all natural... and although it does have a bitter aftertaste if you use too much - it really is safe...

dar512 02-14-2006 12:01 PM

Nutrasweet makes me sick. Literally. If I drink anything with Nutrasweet in it, it exacerbates the Crohn's disease and I get painfully ill.

barefoot serpent 02-14-2006 02:00 PM

I've heard that aspartame can negatively influence short-term memory... but I don't recall where I saw that.

BeardedOne 02-18-2006 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenFairy
Why so?? it is all natural... and although it does have a bitter aftertaste if you use too much - it really is safe...

Actually, if you think about it, "all natural" isn't always a good thing. I mean, cyanide is all natural and I wouldn't want to eat that. :dead3:

Dude111 06-15-2017 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elSicomoro
Sucralose tastes way better than aspartame, but I'm sure someone will eventually find something wrong with that, too.

Sucralose IS JUST AS BAD as aspertame but in different ways!!

http://www.naturalnews.com/045824_su...weeteners.html

I AVOID ANYTHING WITH THIS CRAP AS WELL!!!

classicman 06-16-2017 08:28 AM

Chemicals or sugar? Hmmm... Natural sugar only has 16 calories per tsp.
There are a ZILLION better ways to reduce your caloric intake.