The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's more current than the weather? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7861)

Trilby 03-23-2012 10:06 AM

Rainy. Wow Ali - is ducks flooding????

tw 03-23-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 803149)
I put some grass seed down on a big bare patch in the front yard a few days ago. So we won't be getting any rain on the East Coast for the next month.

You need rain? Just ask. I'll leave my sunroof open tonight. Guaranteed. It might only be a light shower. But it will rain.

Some charlatans actually charge money to make rain.

HungLikeJesus 03-23-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 803177)
Rainy. Wow Ali - is ducks flooding????

Ducks can swim.

infinite monkey 03-23-2012 06:02 PM

Nice weather, if you're a duck! [/time-wornsaying]

Aliantha 03-23-2012 07:30 PM

She's ok. Just a big cranky pants over it all. :)

Undertoad 03-23-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 803285)
Nice weather, if you're a duck! [/time-wornsaying]

don't mind if I do

infinite monkey 03-23-2012 08:42 PM

Bravo! I was chair dancing. Love it.

Sundae 06-23-2012 06:22 AM

Please report in Dani!

I know you were safe last night because you were posting, but do update us on the weather.

As far as your photos suggest, you live high on a hill. But your part of the world has been battered.
Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd - about 8-12 miles away and featuring on the national news. Okay they're the other side of Halifax, but if I was that close to flooding I would be concerned.

Are you going to get on the bus to help with the dampness? ;)

DanaC 06-23-2012 07:40 AM

Ahehe. Nah, we fine in Northowram. Heavy winds and lot of rain, but nothing too bad. Half expecting Ma's house to flood at any time though. It's built into a hill, so the damp comes through the back wall, and if the hill becomes waterlogged it might flood like it did a few years ago.

infinite monkey 06-23-2012 07:43 AM

We could use some of your rain. Where are my summer storms? It's just hot and muggy. Alerts on electronic highway signs "Air advisory...carpool" and I'm like "not possible" as I'm driving into this airless smelly City of Smog.

Sundae 06-24-2012 08:30 AM

They have flood sirens in Dana's part of the world. Adapted from the old air raid sirens.
(Hmmmm, that might be a poor comparison - did you ever have air raid sirens in the US?)

Must be terrifying to hear them.
Ooh! Found this on YouTube. Todmorden is close to Dana, as above.
Although this clip is of a test they were sounded this week...

DanaC 06-24-2012 08:33 AM

Yeesh. That's a shiver down the spine sound alright. Haven't had any of that on my side of the valley.

But I know they'reve been bailing out shops and schools in Hebbers.

Glorious sunshine out there right now. Yesterday you couldnt see for the rain. half expected to see animals marching two by two.

Glad the weather calmed. Today was when the Olympic torch came through Halifax. Via the Bradford road, which took it along the outskirts of my village and past Stump Cross at the bottom of the hill, where my Bro and his family live.

Local radio took a roving report from our Sophie, who was stationed in town at the Piece Hall for the ceremonial stuff.

Quite exciting really.

Gravdigr 06-25-2012 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 816647)
...did you ever have air raid sirens in the US?)

Yes we had 'em. All over.

By the time I came along, they weren't 'air raid sirens' anymore. For a lot of years the old air raid siren, on the city square, was sounded every Friday at noon. We could hear it waaaay out in the county. Took forever to wind up/down.

Now, we have tornado sirens that blare the first Monday of the month at noon, and also when there's a tornado in the area. They're called COWS, County-wide Outdoor Warning Siren/System, wtfe.

Attachment 39253

Gravdigr 06-25-2012 04:38 PM

Why were all the animals in UT's vid black?

Stormieweather 06-26-2012 07:49 AM

I'm ready for Tropical Storm Debby to move her ass. Elsewhere.