The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Kinder Surprise Eggs (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28004)

xoxoxoBruce 03-24-2013 11:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This years collection of kinder Surprises in Canada (don't know if they vary by country), have the usual bunch of little creatures, some real, some fantasy.
There was an airplane like glatt showed in the OP, some weighted throwing streamers, a couple winged tops, and a red helicopter thingy that spins up and takes off when you pull a toothed strip.

It's quite amazing what they can get in the little plastic "yoke" that's about 1.25" in dia and 1.75" long. Of course the bigger toys require more engineering, and more parts, which make them more expensive, so less of them in the mix.

A company in NJ has come up with a way to make something similar to the Kinder Eggs that will satisfy the feds, but it remains to be seen how good the toys are.

glatt 03-25-2013 07:44 AM

I'd be disappointed if I got a little figurine instead of one of those helicopter things that you get to assemble.

fargon 03-25-2013 10:55 AM

kool

xoxoxoBruce 03-25-2013 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When you unwrap the Kinder Egg, try not to tear the foil... it can be reused. :headbag:

Sundae 03-25-2013 12:41 PM

Did anyone ever tell you you're a very naughty boy, Bruce?

BigV 03-25-2013 08:31 PM

surPRISE!!

Griff 03-26-2013 05:53 AM

yay nanny state.... :(

xoxoxoBruce 03-26-2013 06:25 AM

Well there was good reason for the law when it was enacted... in 1938.

First was the idea that they weren't allowed to put anything non-nutritive in food, which is a pretty good idea. No bulking up the food with sawdust and shit.
Secondly the idea of toys embedded in candy is a choking hazard for the under 3 set.

The problem is once the law is passed, nobody wants to make a reasonable judgment on an individual item like the Kinder Eggs.

Might be some campaign contributions by American candy companies too.

glatt 03-26-2013 07:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What surprises me is that they allow king cake for Mardi Gras. You have a soft tender cake you are supposed to eat, and there is a tiny plastic baby hidden in the cake. That's much more of a real choking hazard than Kinder eggs are.

The rules make no sense. Maybe there's a religious exemption.

Attachment 43471

Sundae 03-26-2013 09:11 AM

That cake has mould growing on it..!

There are various apochryphal stories about people choking on the silver sixpences hidden in Christmas puddings. Har-har-har not so lucky after all.
I have a spare one if anyone is interested.
A sixpence. And not to choke on of course.
I was going to send it to Bri for Christmas (sjhe got a mini-pudding in her box), but it arrived too late. Actually I think I'll give it with love to my Mum on her birthday. By coincidence it's actually minted in 1946, her birth year.

Well, might as well get it out the way - I also have a Chinese God of Fortune purse (wallet? change purse? Not a bag, something to hold money) and two Chinese coins with holes in them. Can't choke on those. You're not supposed to give an empty purse, or it will stay empty - a purse with coins will attract others. I don't know if that's Irish, East End London or just made up by my family. You can't spend these anyway, they're probably worth about tuppence. That was for her birthday. There's a cat on it.

Sorry. I don't think there's anything else already purchased.

xoxoxoBruce 03-26-2013 12:13 PM

glatt, aren't those King cakes a local item made by bakeries? They aren't imported, nor sold prepackaged in supermarkets across the country, so they wouldn't attract the ire of the feds. They also aren't targeted at children.

glatt 03-26-2013 12:17 PM

Some are sold online from New Orleans and shipped. But you might be right. The feds can only check so much.

xoxoxoBruce 03-26-2013 12:18 PM

I bought Kinder Eggs online. :D

footfootfoot 03-26-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 858263)
When you unwrap the Kinder Egg, try not to tear the foil... it can be reused. :headbag:

The unkinder egg

jimhelm 03-26-2013 03:14 PM

is it Kinder, like in Kindergarten, or Kinder, like to be kind?