The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Relationships (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Deaf Difference + (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32786)

Griff 05-14-2017 05:34 PM

Deaf Difference +

Pete and I went to a memorial service Saturday for her uncle Don Peterson. While there, the curator of Gallaudet's historical exhibits asked us if we wanted to go down to the University to see the installation on the Gallaudet 11. Turns out Uncle Don is kind of a big deal down there. He was the first deaf professor employed there, teaching chemistry for many years but also a volunteer for the Navy and NASA during the space race.

How cool is that? Very cool indeed.

sexobon 05-14-2017 05:54 PM

OP has too much of youtube code in youtube tags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 988644)
Pete and I went to a memorial service Saturday for her uncle Don Peterson. While there, the curator of Gallaudet's historical exhibits asked us if we wanted to go down to the University to see the installation on the Gallaudet 11. Turns out Uncle Don is kind of a big deal down there. He was the first deaf professor employed there, teaching chemistry for many years but also a volunteer for the Navy and NASA during the space race.

footfootfoot 05-14-2017 05:58 PM

Error: Yeah, that link is all messed up on needle drugs. Try again later.

Griff 05-14-2017 08:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks sexo.

xoxoxoBruce 05-14-2017 08:17 PM

I'm not surprised Pete comes from hero stock too, a great match to produce magnificent children.
I could see the video but couldn't hear anything. :blush:

BigV 04-13-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 988644)

quoted and edited for my own benefit.

as it happens, ElderSon attended Gallaudet for a couple years. It was a very memorable time for him. He later transferred to Rochester Institute of Technology.

edited to add that the edit of the original youtube link did not produce a viable video link :(

Griff 04-13-2019 04:05 PM

Here you go.

BigV 04-13-2019 04:45 PM

thank you!

ElderSon's deafness was not caused by a bout of spinal meningitis, he was born that way. I have never noticed nor discussed his (in)susceptibility to motion sickness.

It's nice to watch those old timey signers, they're much slower than what I see these days, especially when ElderSon is talking with someone else. I really can't keep up.

Griff 04-13-2019 04:48 PM

My sign is just terrible.

BigV 04-13-2019 04:53 PM

I'm a plodder. I can express myself fairly well, if slowly. I sometimes need to r e a l l y slow down and fingerspell a given word. My receptive sign language is just flat slow. "Please, go slowly, I'm not very good." I have been encouraged and thanked so many times for even my weak sign language. I reckon it's a big relief to a deaf person to encounter someone who isn't oblivious, or worse, ignorant and rude. I've seen plenty them, too.