The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   (Americans) Have you filed your tax returns yet? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20049)

Jill 04-12-2009 02:54 PM

(Americans) Have you filed your tax returns yet?

Every year we wait until the last minute. This year I promised myself we'd get them done as soon as the last envelope arrived in the mail, marked "Important Tax Documents Enclosed."

Last night my husband and I frantically tore through the house, and my office 5 miles away, to find where on earth our tax documents were so we could do them before Wednesday (they were in a box of papers in my trunk). We are complete idiots to do this, because we always get money back, and I'm certain this year will be no different.

And no, they're still not done. Not even started yet. ::sigh::

TheMercenary 04-12-2009 02:56 PM

Ours take weeks to compile. This year more so than any in the past. We got ours to the accountant just after the first of the month, a little later than usual, and got them back 4 days later, a bit sooner than usual. The last two years we had to apply for an extension. Not this year. One of the better for us. I am glad it is behind us.

Cloud 04-12-2009 02:57 PM

No--too many other things to worry about this Spring. May file an extension.

TheMercenary 04-12-2009 03:00 PM

Just file it before the 15th. You can download the app from the IRS and you will have to pay a small penalty but it was worth it to us in the past. Btw, there is only one extension.

Jill 04-12-2009 03:07 PM

I have an accounting degree. I used to volunteer with the IRS's "VITA" program, preparing tax returns for the elderly and low income families (and if you think low income = 1040EZ, think again. Those were some of the most complicated Individual returns I've ever seen). Our returns are a piece of cake; W-2 income, interest income, mortgage interest deduction and a couple of other odds and ends, and poof, almost instant tax return. But do I get it out of the way early so I can have my money to spend? HA! I suck.

Shawnee123 04-12-2009 04:20 PM

My return is easy: W2 (this year two of them.) Standard deduction. Poof, write a check to Uncle Sam. This will not get done until the 15th, not a minute before.

I picked lazy slug, though I am fashioning it as civil disobedience. ;)

Jill 04-12-2009 04:25 PM

The Lazy Slugs are winning! Go Lazy Slugs! (That's an oxymoron, isn't it?)

Griff 04-12-2009 04:26 PM

Done. The bankers will have their money soon enough.

Alluvial 04-12-2009 04:47 PM

I chose lazy slug, but actually I got them finished yesterday and e-filed. I will mail the checks on Monday.

Mine take about 3 months for me to prepare because I get brain-dead while trying to sort everything out (meaning I need frequent breaks) and because people take forever to send me 1099 forms. They're complicated enough - we have a W-2 for hubby (sometimes for me as well) and each of us has business income (2 separate businesses), and itemize deductions. Some years I also do the kids' returns, this year only one needed me to do that.

I am relieved to finally be finished. Whew.

Stress Puppy 04-12-2009 05:22 PM

I don't see the point in waiting. You're not sticking it to the man at all. In fact, you're just screwing yourself up by adding extra stress.

richlevy 04-12-2009 05:40 PM

We had ours done by an accountant. We sent them off at least a week ago. We even sent them certified mail (my wife is very nervous). We got a delivery notice on the state returns but nothing on the Federal returns. My guess is that when delivering two tons of mail, receipt confirmation goes out the window.

richlevy 04-12-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stress Puppy (Post 555762)
I don't see the point in waiting. You're not sticking it to the man at all. In fact, you're just screwing yourself up by adding extra stress.

And if you're expecting a refund, you're delaying extra income.

SteveDallas 04-12-2009 05:45 PM

If you owe, you can always finish and file the return as soon as you can get it together, and not pay till the 15th. (At least you can if you're filing electronic and doing a bank transfer... not sure about a paper check.)

Chocolatl 04-12-2009 08:37 PM

Where's the "this thread reminded me and I just finished them now" option?

Alluvial 04-12-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 555767)
(At least you can if you're filing electronic and doing a bank transfer... not sure about a paper check.)

It's the same. Just has to be postmarked by midnight.