The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Could you pass a U.S. Citizenship Test? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27726)

richlevy 07-29-2012 08:03 PM

Could you pass a U.S. Citizenship Test?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0104/Could-you-pass-a-US-citizenship-test

I got 92 out of 96. One of the ones I got wrong I find embarrassing.

Can any of our foreign members find online tests for their countries?

monster 07-29-2012 08:38 PM

1) Here's the thread: http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=2...tizenship+test

2) Foreign? World Wide Web, no? Are you hoping for answers from Martians?

3) Unless you're killing time at the Walmart checkout, just don't bother with the quiz -It takes about a minute per question

Lamplighter 07-29-2012 10:25 PM

... and there are 100 questions :neutral:

I got through the first 50 with 50 correct and was ready to quit.
I went ahead with #51... and missed it.

So I quit while I was at least ahead by that much.

ZenGum 07-30-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Could you pass a U.S. Citizenship Test?
Pass one? Mate, I don't see how I'm going to swallow one in the first place!

Sundae 07-30-2012 06:41 AM

Yuck yuck yuck.

I tried the alternative citizenship test.
I still failed.
Mayo? Really?

DanaC 07-30-2012 07:11 AM

73 out of 96

And even then there were quite a few that didn't so much test my knowledge of American culture so much as my ability to work out what the answer should be based on other knowledge.

Trilby 07-30-2012 07:43 AM

eek! 82 out of 96! or 85%.

a 'B' - story of my life.

eta - I liked the question about what the war between the North and South was called. There wasn't any answer that said, "The war of Northern Aggression," which is what the southerners call it, even today!

Undertoad 07-30-2012 09:25 AM

The winners get to name the war.

footfootfoot 07-30-2012 10:01 AM

I passed the only US citizenship test I need to take,

Q: Were you born in the US?

A: Yes.

DanaC 07-30-2012 10:16 AM

Question: can we see your birth certificate?
Answer: uh....ok, here it is...
Question: are you f**king kidding me? That's a fake...fuckin muslim.

glatt 07-30-2012 10:24 AM

I got bored after 30 questions. Too much clicking.

But I had a perfect score until I gave up.

Sundae 07-30-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 822208)
The winners get to name the war.

Which war was called "Ha ha ha kicked some American butt!"?

fargon 07-30-2012 11:22 AM

92 of 96 for 96%.
USA
USA
USA
USA

BrianR 07-30-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 822218)

none. :)

perfect score here.

orthodoc 07-30-2012 11:31 AM

I passed it in 2002. They didn't tell us our scores, though! I way overstudied for it. Now? Not so sure ... But when the test is: are you a US citizen? I still pass! :p:

footfootfoot 07-30-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 822218)

Vietnam?
Civil war?

Trilby 07-30-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 822265)
Vietnam?
Civil war?

Grenada?

We WERE involved in that, right???

richlevy 07-30-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 822201)
eta - I liked the question about what the war between the North and South was called. There wasn't any answer that said, "The war of Northern Aggression," which is what the southerners call it, even today!

I actually heard some yahoo call it that on the floor of the Senate. If anyone ever says that to me I'm going to say "Is that the same as the War of Southern Stupidity?".

Trilby 07-31-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy (Post 822272)
I actually heard some yahoo call it that on the floor of the Senate. If anyone ever says that to me I'm going to say "Is that the same as the War of Southern Stupidity?".

Hee!

I took a Civil War Lit. class (was pretty much a history class with lit. thrown in) and we read Tony Horwitz's Confederates In The Attic which is a fabulous read even if you aren't into the Civil War. His observations on Southern attitudes about that war, even in the 21st C., are pretty illuminating/surprising.

glatt 07-31-2012 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As a northerner moving down to the DC area after college, I was surprised at all the southerners I would run into who would pull that "war of northern aggression" bullshit. It amazed me. I had never been exposed to that before. The war was over a century ago and these yahoos were still all wrapped up in it. It was something I never gave a second thought. It lived in the same compartment in my brain as the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary War, and the War of 1812. Old dusty history with no relevance to today.

Now that I've been down here 20+ years, I like it. It's interesting history and by keeping it alive they amuse me.

Check out this reenactment I went to last fall.
Attachment 39896

Trilby 07-31-2012 09:38 AM

In Confederates In The Attic Tony goes to many a re-enactment. The guys were all "super hard core" meaning they totally LIVED like the soldiers, eating what they ate, wearing home-spun clothing, the whole enchilada. They scorned those who didn't go all the way with the re-enactment bit. For some guys, this is pretty much all they do all year long.

like climbing Mount Everest, it sounds like mental illness. ;)

footfootfoot 07-31-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 822270)
Grenada?

We WERE involved in that, right???

That's classified.

Spexxvet 07-31-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy (Post 822272)

I call it "the war of southerners wanting to continue enslaving a race".

footfootfoot 07-31-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 822316)
In Confederates In The Attic Tony goes to many a re-enactment. The guys were all "super hard core" meaning they totally LIVED like the soldiers, eating what they ate, wearing home-spun clothing, the whole enchilada. They scorned those who didn't go all the way with the re-enactment bit. For some guys, this is pretty much all they do all year long.

like climbing Mount Everest, it sounds like mental illness. ;)

For some reason I seem to have a number of friends whose brothers are into this reenactment cure. They say the same thing as you, some of the guys even put leeches on themselves or chiggers or bedbugs or some crazy-ass shit like that. There was one guy who was, let's say extra portly, and he wanted to be a confederate soldier. He was completely scorned and shunned because according to the battle they were reenacting all the confederates were starving and skinny, not barely fitting in their uniforms.

Lamplighter 07-31-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 822344)
For some reason I seem to have a number of friends whose brothers are into this reenactment cure. They say the same thing as you, some of the guys even put leeches on themselves or chiggers or bedbugs or some crazy-ass shit like that. There was one guy who was, let's say extra portly, and he wanted to be a confederate soldier. He was completely scorned and shunned because according to the battle they were reenacting all the confederates were starving and skinny, not barely fitting in their uniforms.

... and those were just the ones that were elected to the U.S. House and Senate.;)

Sundae 07-31-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 822316)
The guys were all eating what they ate, the whole enchilada.

Hmmmm, doesn't sound so bad!

You've made me want to read the book though, Bri. Good job.

Re the kicking American butt line, I didn't have a war/ conflict in mind. Or if I did it might have involved men in pyjamas. I just thought it was funny to see what the answers were. And they did make me laugh. Thank you.

Trilby 07-31-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 822354)
Hmmmm, doesn't sound so bad!

You've made me want to read the book though, Bri. Good job.

DON"T BUY IT! I'M MAILING IT TO YOU ON FRIDAY!!!!!!!

Spexxvet 07-31-2012 02:21 PM

Got 94 of 96. Missed the number of amendments and the year the constitution was written.

Trilby 08-01-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 822364)
Got 94 of 96. Missed the number of amendments and the year the constitution was written.

I've notified the FBI.

Your deportation will take place tonight at 0001.
You make take one carry on bag.

You will be blind-folded, roughed-up, have a fifth of whiskey pour over you and dumped in the rural area of a hostile foreign land where you will not know the language and hold no currency. No one will believe your story.

Good luck.

Spexxvet 08-01-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 822499)
I've notified the FBI.

Your deportation will take place tonight at 0001.
You make take one carry on bag.

You will be blind-folded, roughed-up, have a fifth of whiskey pour over you and dumped in the rural area of a hostile foreign land where you will not know the language and hold no currency. No one will believe your story.

Good luck.

Thank you Mistress Brianna, may I have another?

kahan 01-17-2017 01:14 PM

Hi, I have to pass my US citizenship test in a few weeks. I found a free website to help me prepare for this test and it is good, but do you guys know of other good free websites? I need to be prepared as much as possible.

Beest 01-17-2017 01:57 PM

The site you refer to is a third party, the official us government site is

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/study-test

we did this a couple of years ago only used the .gov site, it has the questions, study guides and some practice tests.

You only need to get 6 out of 10 to pass :D

glatt 01-17-2017 02:10 PM

Hi kahan, welcome to the Cellar. Technically, I am supposed to ban you if you put a link in your first post. But I don't want to ban you, so I just deleted the link instead. Please don't turn out to be a spammer.

xoxoxoBruce 01-17-2017 02:30 PM

Don't worry about him becoming a spammer, Trump will send him to be waterboarded. :lol2:

Just kidding kahan, welcome to the Cellar.

Gravdigr 01-17-2017 02:42 PM

How'd kahan get past the wall, anyway?:eyebrow:

DanaC 01-17-2017 04:58 PM

Someone dug a tunnel under the wall.....digr

xoxoxoBruce 01-17-2017 05:09 PM

Oh, flew in from Europe B.O.A.C.
Didn't get to bed last night
On the way the paper bag was on my knee
Man I had a dreadful flight

But I'm in the USA, about to take the citizenship test.
Yeah I'm in the USA, man it is the end of my quest.