The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Paula Deen - A NUT (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21485)

Trilby 11-25-2009 06:05 PM

Paula Deen - A NUT

perusing thanksgiving day recipes I came across this:

Deep-Fried Cranberry Sauce Fritters

by Paula Deen

Deep frying cranberry sauce seems so very wrong - but, I bet it's good. I also wonder if ol' Paula is Scottish. They seem to want to fry everything, too. Where is bebop? Where is a Scottish person when you need one? typical - at the fry shop.

Dagney 11-25-2009 06:07 PM

Oh, I saw her make those - they were NASTY looking! (But the audience seemed to think they were yummy!)

jinx 11-25-2009 06:07 PM

I can not stand that woman.

Trilby 11-25-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 612182)
I can not stand that woman.

lol. I can't,either. I can't stand any of them, really. Now that I have one clue about cooking - I can be more discriminating about who I take advice/recipes from.

I do like the barefoot contessa - I have one of her cookbooks and it's ok.

I like marcella hazan....

jinx 11-25-2009 06:15 PM

I like Diners, drive-ins and dives. And Iron chef.

Cloud 11-25-2009 07:10 PM

can't be any crazier than the turducken. I saw this on Paula's show, and am like WTF? I have to tell the Cellar about this.

but I searched, like a good girl, and notice it's been discussed before. But seriously--turducken WTF?

limey 11-25-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 612174)
perusing thanksgiving day recipes I came across this:

Deep-Fried Cranberry Sauce Fritters

by Paula Deen

Deep frying cranberry sauce seems so very wrong - but, I bet it's good. I also wonder if ol' Paula is Scottish. They seem to want to fry everything, too. Where is bebop? Where is a Scottish person when you need one? typical - at the fry shop.

OK. where's the recipe? I'll give it a go (not Scottish ,but living here ...)

Trilby 11-25-2009 07:31 PM

sorry, limey!! here ya go - and if you make it - gotta tell us how it was!!

Ingredients
1 (13-ounce) can jelly style cranberry sauce, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup water
Oil, for frying
Directions
Lay the cranberry sauce rounds out in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan and freeze for 4 hours or until solid.

In a shallow bowl, place one cup of the flour. In another shallow bowl combine the remaining cup of flour with the sugar, salt, and baking powder. Pour in the water and stir together until smooth. Let the batter rest for 15 minutes.

Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or large Dutch oven to 375 degrees F.

Dredge the frozen cranberry sauce rounds in the flour. Then dip rounds in the batter and gently place in the oil. Fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.

Serve and enjoy immediately.

limey 11-25-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 612281)
sorry, limey!! here ya go - and if you make it - gotta tell us how it was!!

Ingredients
1 (13-ounce) can jelly style cranberry sauce, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup water
Oil, for frying
Directions
Lay the cranberry sauce rounds out in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan and freeze for 4 hours or until solid.

In a shallow bowl, place one cup of the flour. In another shallow bowl combine the remaining cup of flour with the sugar, salt, and baking powder. Pour in the water and stir together until smooth. Let the batter rest for 15 minutes.

Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or large Dutch oven to 375 degrees F.

Dredge the frozen cranberry sauce rounds in the flour. Then dip rounds in the batter and gently place in the oil. Fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.

Serve and enjoy immediately.

Tricky 'cos I don't have a deep-fat fryer, but I'll try to work out how to give it a go ...

Aliantha 11-25-2009 08:00 PM

Sounds a lot like how you make deep fried icecream. That's yummo!

Also deep fried mars bars!

skysidhe 11-25-2009 08:07 PM

She makes a great shrimp creole though, oh and a chicken pot pie.
I have found most of those meals on those shows are not simple enough for me. I find better recipes on blogspot.

Mostly I watch the Food Network Challenge and the Food Network reality star show.

Urbane Guerrilla 11-25-2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 612264)
can't be any crazier than the turducken. I saw this on Paula's show, and am like WTF? I have to tell the Cellar about this.

but I searched, like a good girl, and notice it's been discussed before. But seriously--turducken WTF?

A smaller scale American edition of Stuffed Camel, Cloud.

xoxoxoBruce 11-26-2009 12:21 AM

The right way to do turducken, is to remove all the bones from the three birds. Then you can slice through it like a jellyroll, for maximun effect. That's a shitload of work, though. :sweat:

classicman 11-26-2009 12:33 AM

lol - too funny

Link

Sundae 11-26-2009 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 612264)

We're having turducken for Christmas dinner.
The nice people at Tesco have already done all the hard work though.

I mis-spelled it in my previous post (turduckhen).