The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Optical illusion - images (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9047)

HungLikeJesus 12-11-2011 08:55 AM

My wife is making Xmas cards, so I asked her if she could incorporate this in some of them:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lusion.svg.png

If you look at it for a few seconds you'll think that there are blinking lights at the corners of the squares.

I'm trying to find something similar in color that can be made to look like a tree.

footfootfoot 12-11-2011 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the lines are a little too fat, but something like this?

HungLikeJesus 12-11-2011 11:18 AM

Yes, like that, except I can't see the blinking dots in the color version.

footfootfoot 12-11-2011 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's partially a function of the lines being too thick and also somewhat the contrast in value. Yellow and purple may work better. Lemme see.

This is a bit better. There is a red/green combo in pigment that is particularly electric. I don't think it works as well with monitors. Though maybe it's and RGB vs CMYK thing. It could also be that the pigments themselves have an intensity that can't be mixed with CMYK

classicman 12-11-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 779194)
I suspect the angles of the squares is critical, because they trick the brain into thinking the circle at that point is aligned with the edge of the squares, which makes us project the circle in the wrong direction, causing the circles to look overlapping and entangled.

Sometimes the answer is a simple one:
Quote:

I agree...
lol

Sundae 12-11-2011 02:35 PM

But who looks at a Christmas card for minutes...?
(I couldn't get any of them to work for me, but that may be the monitor)

HungLikeJesus 12-11-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 779458)
That's partially a function of the lines being too thick and also somewhat the contrast in value. Yellow and purple may work better. Lemme see.

This is a bit better. There is a red/green combo in pigment that is particularly electric. I don't think it works as well with monitors. Though maybe it's and RGB vs CMYK thing. It could also be that the pigments themselves have an intensity that can't be mixed with CMYK

I think the scintillating grid actually has lighter colored dots at the intersections, which give the blinking light effect.

infinite monkey 12-11-2011 03:34 PM

I saw blinkies on both of the color ones too. Made me seasick. I see them as soon as I look at it too. They're fainter on the color ones, but I see 'em.

HungLikeJesus 12-11-2011 04:03 PM

Well, those are supposed to work better when you view them from farther away, and you're way out in Ohio.

infinite monkey 12-11-2011 04:55 PM

Yeah, plus I'm drunk.

I'm kidding. I kid.

footfootfoot 12-11-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 779475)
I think the scintillating grid actually has lighter colored dots at the intersections, which give the blinking light effect.

Yeah I started dicking with making brighter dots and then was all like, fuck it I'm going to go take a nap and not clean the kitchen.

Gravdigr 12-12-2011 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like a leaping Great White. It ain't. It was shot from beneath, near the surface.

Kinda illusiony.

Attachment 35857

classicman 12-12-2011 04:58 PM

Doesn't look like a Great White, jus sayin.

ETA - Maybe it is - I thought at first it was a Black Tipped, but some images show Great Whites with similar markings (shrug)

Dolphin!

Gravdigr 12-12-2011 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 779681)
Doesn't look like a Great White, jus sayin.

I'll go with black tip reef shark, per Classic, and Wikipedia.

Attachment 35869

Gravdigr 12-12-2011 05:17 PM

It's all part of the illusion.