The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Recent Movies You've Seen? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21617)

DanaC 12-31-2009 11:52 AM

I loved Pulp Fiction. Mind you, I was tripping the first time i saw it, so it was very intense :P

Last night I watched The Invention of Lying. I thought it was a wonderful film. Funny and romantic, and with a refreshing lack of cynicism.

Cloud 12-31-2009 11:57 AM

ugh. I thought Pulp Fiction was disgusting.

dar512 01-01-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianR (Post 621419)
IB was just plain weird and needlessly bloody, IMO. Typical Tarantino output.

I also thought IB was needlessly bloody, but other than that, I thought it was really good -- moody, suspenseful and funny. It'd be a perfect movie if they'd let me trim five minutes or so of the bloodiest stuff.

Shawnee123 01-01-2010 12:25 PM

Apparently, netflix didn't have any more copies of Paranormal Activity so they sent the next in line. I would have rather waited until Saturday and received PA...I'm really excited about the scary movie.

But, I have Public Enemies! The next in line was Sunshine Cleaning. I should get one in before the Rose Bowl.

jinx 01-01-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 622013)
I loved Pulp Fiction.

Me too. I also liked Reservoir Dogs, the Kill Bills, and also Natural Born Killers. I liked ER, can't stand CSI.

Cicero 01-01-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 622419)
Me too. I also liked Reservoir Dogs, the Kill Bills, and also Natural Born Killers. I liked ER, can't stand CSI.

...or anything else that includes a blood-bath? lol!

jinx 01-01-2010 07:28 PM

The blood is clearly overdone... but it doesn't bother me. I see it as the hyperbolic opposite of cheesy tv violence, with bullets flying everywhere, no blood, and only the bad guys dying (very quickly and neatly).

skysidhe 01-02-2010 04:08 AM

I too liked Pulp Fiction and The Kill Bills are my all time favorite,Reservoir Dogs. I couldn't stomach Natural born killers.

Liked CSI at one time as well as House but they just got ridiculous after awhile.

DanaC 01-02-2010 05:25 AM

I used to like CSI; but I got bored with it after a while. House I adore! Then again, I was always a mad Sherlock Holmes fan and so much of House is based on Holmes, I like spotting the connections :P

I haven't seen (that i recall) a Tarantino film that didn't like. I muist have watched Pulp Fiction a dozen times. I love the musical direction. I think my favourite scene in the whole thing is the one where Bruce Willis' character finds the samurai sword. I just think it's such a stylishly directed film.

Yes there's a lot of blood. But it's supposed to be over the top. It's drawing on genre references. Not supposed to be taken too seriously. It's a little like the way they used blood in Evil Dead. That moment when Ash is literally blasted with a geyser of blood (always makes me chuckle).

Res Dogs was the only one of his films that I found genuinely disturbing. The violence was less cartoonlike than his other films. Still enjoyed he film, but it wasn;'t a comfortable one to watch.

jujuwwhite 01-02-2010 06:12 AM

[quote=Shawnee123;622344]Apparently, netflix didn't have any more copies of Paranormal Activity so they sent the next in line. I would have rather waited until Saturday and received PA...I'm really excited about the scary movie.

I just bought Paranormal Activity because everyone I've talked to has said it was an awesome movie! I plan on watching it on my next night off work.

skysidhe 01-02-2010 06:46 AM

House and CSI writers were sucking after the 9th year or however many years for burn -out to occur.

DanaC 01-02-2010 06:48 AM

House is at season 6. I still love it:)

casimendocina 01-02-2010 06:58 AM

[quote=DanaC;622013]I loved Pulp Fiction. Mind you, I was tripping the first time i saw it, so it was very intense :P QUOTE]

I saw Pulp Fiction on a small screen TV on a cargo ship which was making its way through the Chilean archipelago and probably because of the surroundings (airport lounge type scenario on the boat...it was completely clouded and fogged in outside, so we didn't even see much of the islands) don't remember much of it. It hadn't even crossed my mind until now to watch it again in a more cinematic atmosphere.

Shawnee123 01-02-2010 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jujuwwhite (Post 622607)

I just bought Paranormal Activity because everyone I've talked to has said it was an awesome movie! I plan on watching it on my next night off work.

My 18 year old nephew warned: do NOT watch it alone! HA! I'll show him! (And I'm already a bit scared. Let me know what you think and I'll do the same. :)

Public Enemies was pretty good. The acting, of course, was wonderful. Oh Johnny...

His woman in the film is French on one side and Native American on the other...like me though I'm much more distilled than one would have been in the 30s, I've got all kinds of other stuff in there. ;)

casimendocina 01-02-2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 622620)
House is at season 6. I still love it:)

I've probably said this before, but I can't watch Hugh Laurie not being English so have only got through about 3 episodes of House. I am currently completely addicted to Scrubs though and love Dr Cox's character (the rest are great as well, but Dr Cox is the most cartoonish).