The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Camping (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33196)

bbro 12-11-2017 01:17 PM

I think the biggest problem with dehydrated meals for me is finding single-servings. The two serving would mean eating the same thing for two meals, so I would have to get some that I would be ok eating for both lunch and dinner.

Happy Monkey 12-11-2017 02:05 PM

You should investigate how big they consider a "serving" to be. A vending-machine package of chips is two servings.

xoxoxoBruce 12-11-2017 03:22 PM

The Chili Mac pouch says, "Two and a Half 1-Cup Servings". That's not too much after a serious day in the fresh air and sunshine. Don't forget sharing with Bambi and Thumper. ;)

sexobon 12-11-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 999962)
I'm a big fan of Mountain House Chili Mac but yeah, stupid expensive.

Mountain House produces another line that they don't advertise. It's not the $5.69 stuff that xoB found on Amazon. One of those selections is called Rice and Chicken. In the other line it's called Chicken and Rice (the main ingredient being listed first for both). The other line is the good stuff, the stupid expensive stuff, that most don't know about.

bbro 12-12-2017 08:35 AM

Got my first package of camping stuff! The stove! Now I just have to find fuel (I didn't read the description closely enough). And I bought a thermal food jar. Even if I don't keep camping, the idea of opening a jar of hot food on top of a big rock in the wind is REALLY appealing.

Tent is on it's way (and apparently 43 dollars now!!) with the sleeping pad. The charger will be delivered some time in January.

@Happy_Monkey - I actually do look at that and the calories. Even if it's a small serving size, if it's packed with calories for regular backpackers/thru-hikers, then it is probably too much for me since I am just doing day hiking with a base camp.

captainhook455 12-12-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 999775)
About 25 ft. of nylon cord to string up as a clothesline to dry a washcloth and towel. String it doubled over and you can drape the items between them without clothespins. It can replace broken tent lines, provide additional tie downs if it gets windy, suspend the tent if a pole fails, tie food up out of reach of animals ... etc.

What a clever idea. Doubling the clothes line. Personally I would get an all season sleeping bag like the US Army uses. I took one on many a motorcycle camping trip.

Just get a stick and rake leaves or pine needles over the tent space and then the whole floor of the tent will be padded.

If you spend much time on the trail then you will soon develop the habit of going to bed at dusk and waking at dawn. A small led flashlight will suffice.

Happy Monkey 12-12-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainhook455 (Post 1000000)
What a clever idea. Doubling the clothes line. Personally I would get an all season sleeping bag like the US Army uses. I took one on many a motorcycle camping trip.

That was post #1,000,000, by the Cellar's count: http://cellar.org/showpost.php?p=1000000

lumberjim 12-12-2017 11:08 AM

What does he win?

xoxoxoBruce 12-12-2017 01:41 PM

One year free membership! Ah shit, make it lifetime free membership.

bbro 12-31-2017 05:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The good news is that I can put up the tent.
Attachment 62832

I still don't know what these are for, though.
Attachment 62833

Attachment 62834

glatt 12-31-2017 05:58 PM

Looks like an optional tie off point to pull the fly away from the tent wall. And the bottom grey thing might be a ground cloth to go between the tent floor and dirt. Is it the same size as the floor?

bbro 12-31-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1001274)
Looks like an optional tie off point to pull the fly away from the tent wall. And the bottom grey thing might be a ground cloth to go between the tent floor and dirt. Is it the same size as the floor?

That eould explain the extra anchor things. And no. It's not even a quarter of the size of the floor. There are fabric hooks on each of the short sides

sexobon 12-31-2017 07:51 PM

Could be a door awning that attaches to the tent or frame.

captainhook455 12-31-2017 08:56 PM

The ties on the side of the tent are for pulling? the side of the roof away from the tent wall. Much like the eaves on some houses. Keeps the water coming down the roof line from running down the sides of the tent. Don't forget to dig a drip line around the tent.

Buy looong tent pegs. Short ones tend to pull out during monsoons. Do you like Fritos? Put some under your tinder for a fire and you can have a blaze with one match. Speaking of such I like wood kitchen matches, but don't buy the strike anywhere type. You don't want your pack catching on fire.

glatt 12-31-2017 09:55 PM

Fabric hooks? It might be a gear loft or shelf that goes inside the tent at the top.

Griff 01-01-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainhook455 (Post 1001285)
The ties on the side of the tent are for pulling? the side of the roof away from the tent wall. Much like the eaves on some houses. Keeps the water coming down the roof line from running down the sides of the tent. Don't forget to dig a drip line around the tent.

Buy looong tent pegs. Short ones tend to pull out during monsoons. Do you like Fritos? Put some under your tinder for a fire and you can have a blaze with one match. Speaking of such I like wood kitchen matches, but don't buy the strike anywhere type. You don't want your pack catching on fire.

The space between the fly and the tent also keeps the condensation which collects under the fly from getting in the tent.

Sad news to report: The conditions in the ADKs were not suitable for camping this NYEve, so we stayed home.

bbro 01-01-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1001292)
Fabric hooks? It might be a gear loft or shelf that goes inside the tent at the top.

Yep. Fabric hooks. I didn't see anywhere to attach it. I got the idea as I was taking it down that it might be something stupid like a wrap for the tent during storage. Ah well, it's so small that it doesn't hurt to take it with me

I don't think I told you all. My car died recently (not the good part), but my brother decided that I would take his car. It's a Nissan Rogue - much better suited for camping IMHO.

I am really looking forward to my first trip in April

Glinda 01-01-2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainhook455 (Post 1001285)

Fritos as tinder? Will wonders never cease!

As for matches, how about one of these little doohickies?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1453179844

My grandfather had one and he seemed to like it.

glatt 01-02-2018 07:36 AM

The fun thing about camping gear is that there are so many ways to skin a cat.

One of those match storage things is good. I have a similar one somewhere, made of plastic. But in practice, I just have a few random small boxes of matches packed with my stove in a ziplock sandwich baggie. There might be a lighter in there too.

Our boy scout troop carries a small Christmas cookie tin that is full of boxes of matches when we camp. The boys go through kitchen matches like you wouldn't believe. I think they just like playing with matches on the camping trips.

bbro 01-02-2018 10:42 AM

For fire, I was just going to use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/BIC-Multi-pur...4911206&sr=8-3

Right now, I'm going to store all of my stuff in a plastic tub that I can just haul out when I go.

Remember, I'll have a car for now. If I start backpacking, then I'll get the little matches.

xoxoxoBruce 01-02-2018 01:22 PM

I'm buying Amazon stock. ;)

BigV 01-02-2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 1001272)
snip--
I still don't know what these are for, though.

Attachment 62834

Unless I miss my guess, that's the bag to carry the tent in when disassembled and folded neatly and rolled/wrapped around the tent poles.

sexobon 01-02-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 1001417)
For fire, I was just going to use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/BIC-Multi-pur...4911206&sr=8-3 ...

Butane lighters are fine for warm weather. IIRC, butane liquefies at 45° F. The liquid butane in the lighter won't vaporize so it can ignite if it gets down to that temperature. If you get an unseasonal cold spell, keep the lighter in your clothing near your body so the butane stays warmer.

Zippo type lighters that use lighter fluid (naphtha) will work at lower temperatures than butane lighters, as will matches.

Big Sarge 01-06-2018 04:48 PM

I'm late to chime in, but I'll offer a few things I have learned. I keep a small fire kit in my day bag. It consists of a Bic lighter, a small ferro, damp light match pack, twine for tinder, and Wetfire fire starters. 99% of the time all you will need is a lighter, but it is nice to have other options. I keep a larger kit with more options in my ruck.

http://i66.tinypic.com/5a3yvd.jpg

sexobon 01-06-2018 05:13 PM

There's still a 30 something year old white phosphorus grenade in my ruck originally put there to destroy the gear should it have to be left behind. Someday I'll have to toss it into a campfire.

Big Sarge 01-06-2018 05:55 PM

I use a GPS program on my phone called OnXMaps. In addition to the standard layers, you can identify public land, private land boundaries with owner names, access points, timber cuts, wildfire data, nautical charts, river stage forecasts, trail slopes and trail mileage, USFS roads, recreation sites, etc..... I think you get the idea. I lay in my routes and build products on my PC, then access it on my cellphone.

Forgot to mention it is simple to drop waypoints, measure your progress, and has an accurate electronic compass.

Big Sarge 01-07-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1001760)
There's still a 30 something year old white phosphorus grenade in my ruck originally put there to destroy the gear should it have to be left behind. Someday I'll have to toss it into a campfire.

I had M14 grenades (Thermite) to use for sensitive item/document destruction. Stack the laptops and then....

Big Sarge 01-08-2018 06:12 PM

This is my main fire kit that goes in my ruck. Truth be told, it is never used because my small kit always fits the bill.

ferro rod
magnesium bar
lighter
small light
match safe
flashlight
Wetfire - this works great!!
dryer lint - I keep this in a plastic bag. If conditions are truly shit hit the fan, I can mix some of my vaseline (first aid kit) with some of the lint

http://i65.tinypic.com/2dmaok.jpg

sexobon 01-09-2018 09:21 PM

I have these 3 fire starters along with other items in my E&E bandoleer and duplicates in the ruck:

A standard 3" Bic disposable butane lighter which suffices in most situations.

A 2¾" (more compact than it looks in the picture) refillable, wind resistant, butane lighter that offers a good grip and robust ignition button that's user friendly even with gloves on. It's good for more difficult fire starting.

You can get the less in demand clear version for a song.

A tough, sealed, naphtha fluid lighter the uses standard Zippo flints and wicks. It'll work at lower temperatures than the butane lighters and will work as a hands free candle for a short time. I actually have the black version; but, those seem to be sold out on Amazon (though it may still be available elsewhere)

xoxoxoBruce 01-09-2018 09:52 PM

But wood matches are better for biting when they have to saw your leg off. :haha:

sexobon 01-09-2018 10:13 PM

Yeah but the metal parts of a lighter can get hot enough to cauterize blood vessels so you don't bleed to death.

Six of one, half dozen of the other I suppose.

Big Sarge 01-09-2018 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1002003)
I have these 3 fire starters along with other items in my E&E bandoleer and duplicates in the ruck:

A standard 3" Bic disposable butane lighter which suffices in most situations.

A 2¾" (more compact than it looks in the picture) refillable, wind resistant, butane lighter that offers a good grip and robust ignition button that's user friendly even with gloves on. It's good for more difficult fire starting.

You can get the less in demand clear version for a song.

A tough, sealed, naphtha fluid lighter the uses standard Zippo flints and wicks. It'll work at lower temperatures than the butane lighters and will work as a hands free candle for a short time. I actually have the black version; but, those seem to be sold out on Amazon (though it may still be available elsewhere)

I have a quad flame torch lighter, but I'm bad about forgetting to refill it so it ends up sitting on my table. I'll post a photo of it when I get back in town. It is one of those that made troops go "oooh & aaah". lol

Those watertight fluid lighters look nice and are definitely something I will look at. Years ago, I used to carry a Zippo in my pocket and I would sometimes get the Zippo leg burn, so those lighters ended up on a shelf and gifts to others.

lumberjim 01-10-2018 08:13 PM

Get a room, you two.

monster 01-10-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 1002062)
Get a room tent, you two.

ftfy

Griff 01-11-2018 06:19 AM

Oh I think they are already sporting a couple tents...

Big Sarge 01-11-2018 09:15 AM

fuck it. you try to make a positive contribution and you start getting trolled.

xoxoxoBruce 01-11-2018 10:00 AM

If you don't know the difference between being trolled and good natured kidding, you're in for a bad time.

lumberjim 01-11-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 1002092)
fuck it. you try to make a positive contribution and you start getting trolled.

your first post was a positive contribution. the next 3 or 4 were you and sexo comparing penis size.

boom.

sexobon 01-11-2018 04:43 PM

I didn't get that impression. More like shooting the shit between two generations of GIs.

lumberjim 01-11-2018 05:45 PM

Shhh, I'm trolling sarge

bbro 01-16-2018 08:56 AM

Ok, so I am now in possession of the following:
- Stove
- Fuel source for stove
- Silverware (2 sets)
- Tent
- Sleeping pad
- Pot for stove
- Hydro flask food jar
- Reusable 24-48 hour ice packs

Since I am going to be hitting all of NC's 40 national parks in the next 365 days, I will have the opportunity to do car camping and also hike in camping. I am currently experimenting with foods. I have A LOT more experimenting to do, though.

- Bear creek soups rehydrate well with boiling water. I just have to be patient. I should be able to combine them with canned meat and have a filling meal. I am thinking of getting some freeze dried meat, though, since that will be lighter.
- I still hate oatmeal

glatt 01-16-2018 09:50 AM

Sound like you're having fun with this.

Do you like playing with the stove? Is it working well for you?

bbro 01-16-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1002346)
Sound like you're having fun with this.

Do you like playing with the stove? Is it working well for you?

I am having fun!

I haven't actually played with the stove just yet. I just got the fuel and the pot. I had hoped to use a pot I had, but the handle makes it tip over. I am going to try it soon, though. I have put it together, though. I think I'm a little nervous about lighting it.

I still have a list of things to get, but I am going to calm it down for now....maybe :o

xoxoxoBruce 01-16-2018 02:17 PM

No you're not, you're having fun so keep it going. Calming down is after it gets to be old hat. :D

Griff 01-17-2018 06:18 AM

Try the oatmeal! ;)

glatt 01-17-2018 07:01 AM

Play with the stove! ;)

bbro 01-17-2018 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1002395)
Try the oatmeal! ;)

If you can figure out how to make it taste like a cookie, sure! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
Play with the stove! ;)

FIRE! heh heh heh :cool:

lumberjim 01-17-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1002397)
Play with the stove! ;)

Play with the pot!

Gravdigr 01-17-2018 02:50 PM

Play with yaself!

fargon 01-17-2018 03:28 PM

You Nasty^^^
And yes play with the stove. Cook a meal on it even if it's only Dinty Moore Beef Stew a perennial camping favorite.

limey 01-18-2018 03:24 PM

Sweeten the oatmeal with maple syrup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigV 01-18-2018 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1002397)
Play with the stove! ;)

I wholeheartedly agree!

Learn to do this:

Attachment 62944

Then also learn how to not do it.

Glinda 01-20-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 1002345)
Bear creek soups rehydrate well with boiling water. I just have to be patient. I should be able to combine them with canned meat and have a filling meal. I am thinking of getting some freeze dried meat, though, since that will be lighter.

Have you considered this?

https://d2lnr5mha7bycj.cloudfront.ne...7db7423bb5.JPG

Very versatile, high protein, lean, lightweight, and quite tasty. Pop it into a sandwich baggie for camping and it will stay good for as long as you need it to. Fair warning, though, it is quite salty - rinse in water to wash away some of the extra salt before using.

:thumbsup:

Pamela 01-21-2018 01:07 PM

Which stove did you get, bbro? I like my biolite stove a lot because it uses twigs, burns really hot and recharges my ipod or whatever uses USB chargers.

bbro 01-21-2018 04:34 PM

@Glinda - I'm not sure the dried beef is what I am looking for. It might be good on the trail for a snack, but I don't think it's good for mixing in with cous cous and soup or something similar. That's what I was thinking for with the dehydrated meat

@Pamela - I got this stove and this fuel source

Also, good news, I've apparently made some friends and I won't be on my own during my first hiking trip. They're going to come with me!! :D

bbro 01-21-2018 04:43 PM

Also, I am thinking of getting a hammock and a hammock stand. It seems like it would be comfortable.

sexobon 01-21-2018 05:12 PM

Get one of those hammock stands with the hand crank that lets you adjust the elevation of the head end so you can use it as a recliner.

Griff 01-22-2018 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 1002661)
Also, good news, I've apparently made some friends and I won't be on my own during my first hiking trip. They're going to come with me!! :D

Nice!

glatt 01-22-2018 06:59 AM

Good news on the friends.

A hammock stand sounds like a lot of extra weight and bulk to be carrying around when you can just use trees.

xoxoxoBruce 01-22-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 1002661)

Good, much cheaper than hiring native porters. Nothing better than new friends who are willing to sleep with you in the woods. :blush: