The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   July 4th, 2018: Yorktown (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33591)

xoxoxoBruce 07-03-2018 09:25 PM

July 4th, 2018: Yorktown

http://cellar.org/2017/yorktown.jpg

This was painted by a French artist for the French court who viewed this as a French victory in the global war between British, French, Dutch and Spanish.
Lots of British soldiers, lots of French soldiers, and somewhere off to the side the Colonial soldiers.
Not shown is the French fleet blockade preventing the British fleet from rescuing Cornwallis.

Carruthers 07-04-2018 07:00 AM

A member of my extensive supermarket intelligence network is an American woman who wished me happy Independence Day this morning.

So, in the spirit of the occasion, Happy Independence Day to all American Dwellars!

:f205: :) :f207:

Undertoad 07-04-2018 08:00 AM

thank you sir

One notices that it's quarterfinals and England and France are still in the Cup.

captainhook455 07-04-2018 08:51 AM

Happy 4th of July to everyone and the yankees too.

Diaphone Jim 07-04-2018 07:11 PM

There are a lot of variants of this scene available, including one with boys in the foreground tree.
Seems they sort of played off each other.

I lost my sign-in a couple of times today. Was it something I said?

sexobon 07-04-2018 07:29 PM

If you don't click on something; or, make a keystroke for awhile, your last sign in will time out and the Cellar will automatically sign you out. You can ask UT for the actual amount of time involved and if it's the same for viewing and writing modes. It can be a nuisance if you stop in the middle of writing a reply to do something else. When you come back to it, you can finish writing; but, you can't post until you sign back in again. If you didn't copy what you had to paste it again, you may lose it.

xoxoxoBruce 07-04-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim (Post 1011123)
There are a lot of variants of this scene available, including one with boys in the foreground tree.
Seems they sort of played off each other.

Depends what country the artist is from and who they are painting it for (paying for it).

Griff 07-05-2018 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1011114)
A member of my extensive supermarket intelligence network is an American woman who wished me happy Independence Day this morning.

So, in the spirit of the occasion, Happy Independence Day to all American Dwellars!

:f205: :) :f207:

Appreciated!

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainhook455 (Post 1011117)
Happy 4th of July to everyone and the yankees too.

The blessings of liberty extended to Johnny Reb as well.

Diaphone Jim 07-05-2018 11:44 AM

Sexobon: Your explanation of my log in problem seems reasonable, but I think we will find there is an ongoing glitch afoot.
E.G., among other weirdness, there are a bunch of "messages deleted" in this thread above, the like of which I have NEVER seen.

xoxoxoBruce 07-05-2018 01:27 PM

That's because a spammer posted in the middle of the night and people responded, worse quoted it, before it could be deleted.

sexobon 07-05-2018 01:32 PM

To wit: UT deleted the spam, which contained commercial links, and he banned the accounts. He also deleted a couple of BigV's replies to the spam that contained quotes from the spam. With all of that gone, my replies (which made fun of the spam but didn't regurgitate it) had no context and no longer made sense in the thread; so, I voluntarily deleted them. Casual viewers who aren't logged in won't see the deletions. The thread was tidied up. Less egregious spam attacks may not warrant all that. I hope you find explanations for the other weirdness you've experienced.

xoxoxoBruce 07-05-2018 01:34 PM

It was Jim questioning it, not Wit. :haha:

Gravdigr 07-05-2018 02:53 PM

Fuck Wit.

Gravdigr 07-05-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1011114)

Hashtag TONEDEAF!!:lol2:

You should have put on a mean face and replied "Not for us!", and then shook your fist at her.

xoxoxoBruce 07-05-2018 02:59 PM

and blame those damn French. :haha: