The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly amusing you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20235)

Clodfobble 10-14-2012 01:32 PM

You can tell a person's age by whether they try to give you detailed directions to an address...

glatt 10-14-2012 07:05 PM

True.

Reminds me of a very recent story. Our new neighbor (young guy) was leaving his parents house in upstate New York, near Albany, after a trip to pick up some furniture, and decided to rely on their GPS to get him back to DC. It took him due north initially, and he thought that was curious but decided to follow the directions because he thought it might know a better route. After driving for two hours deep into Vermont, he decided to look at a real map, because it just seemed wrong. The GPS had taken him in basically the opposite direction and he had to retrace his route, adding 4 hours to his trip.

Trilby 10-15-2012 07:00 AM

the google logo is pretty damn cute today. just keep clicking on the down stripey thing. fun for all.

infinite monkey 10-15-2012 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmmmm. What google logo are you seeing? This is what I'm seeing:

Clodfobble 10-15-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
Reminds me of a very recent story. Our new neighbor (young guy) was leaving his parents house in upstate New York, near Albany, after a trip to pick up some furniture, and decided to rely on their GPS to get him back to DC. It took him due north initially, and he thought that was curious but decided to follow the directions because he thought it might know a better route. After driving for two hours deep into Vermont, he decided to look at a real map, because it just seemed wrong. The GPS had taken him in basically the opposite direction and he had to retrace his route, adding 4 hours to his trip.

Maybe he mistyped it as BC, and the GPS was just taking him to British Columbia like he'd asked?

Undertoad 10-15-2012 07:57 AM

Yes or QC, Quebec

User error seems most likely, since it was a device he wasn't familiar with.

BigV 10-15-2012 08:33 AM

re gps, young driver, unfamiliar territory...

Eldest son was gifted a new to him truck a couple years ago, here in Washington. He was understandably excited, and was looking forward to driving back to school in New York. We met at a coffee shop on his way back east at about mile one. I bought breakfast, checked in with him about the state of the truck, etc. He was undertaking this cross country trip with ample, no, a superabundance of confidence and enthusiasm. This was good, except it didn't make much room for, you know... reality.

I followed him to the nearest gas station where I filled up his tank, bought a few quarts of oil and an atlas. He'd intended to take this trip with his iPhone as his only map. :eek: What if the battery dies? What if you sit on it and crack it? What if what if what if, etc. Here. Take this map. Do it for me, please. He did, bless his heart, and he made the trip ok (one call for towing and another call for a failed ignition switch/steering column repair). I don't remember getting a call about being lost though. :)

Trilby 10-15-2012 09:21 AM

http://www.google.com/

Try this one....it's animated

infinite monkey 10-15-2012 09:22 AM

It's still that same image. Can you copy it and paste it?

Trilby 10-15-2012 09:24 AM

It is? when I click on it it goes to the animated google thingy.

I have google chrome. do you have that?

infinite monkey 10-15-2012 09:25 AM

Oh...that's probably it.

I'm using IE.

Trilby 10-15-2012 09:28 AM

that's it, then. I tried my best and you know damn well I have no idea how to post things. When I DO manage to get something posted it's sheer luck and I can't remember how I did it.

Yes, my children laugh at me.

xoxoxoBruce 10-15-2012 09:51 AM

It works fine in IE-9.

infinite monkey 10-15-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trilby (Post 834286)
that's it, then. I tried my best and you know damn well I have no idea how to post things. When I DO manage to get something posted it's sheer luck and I can't remember how I did it.

Yes, my children laugh at me.

left click
save picture as...
save to desktop
come back
manage attachments
browse
browse to desktop
click on picture
upload
close attachment window

Voila!

infinite monkey 10-15-2012 10:06 AM

They gave us a firefox or whatever link too...I can do it in there.

Cool.