The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Power of Now (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23274)

lumberjim 06-18-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 1034362)
This is why going to any music practice is a restorative action for me. All other thoughts and feelings are put away for the duration of the practice.
I disagree with LJ that it is another form of busyness because UT here is having to put the immersion into the now that is a music practice (or performance) into words, just like LJ is trying to describe meditation.

Sent by magick

Sounds right. I was thinking he said that his mind was so active concentrating in each note, it was simply occupied. His second explanation clarified a bit more.

xoxoxoBruce 06-18-2019 11:03 PM

Trying to force you mind to idle, if not stop, is an unnatural experience, that only happens normally when you die. Even sleeping, or in a coma, your brain is cooking, often full tilt boogie.

limey 06-19-2019 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1034368)
It's not exactly like being busy! There is something about the timing aspect of it, and the fact that you're working with other people. Every BEAT forces you into the current time.

Yes, this.
Quote:

I'm singing now, and singing and playing bass is an amazing challenge. I feel like my brain is entirely taken up by it; and I have to reach some sort of spiritual other world, where I can access both things at once.
Kudos, man!

Griff 06-19-2019 06:29 AM

I believe you guys are describing the flow state. I've entered it when mountain biking, long ago building the timber frame, and very rarely when I used to fence. I can only dream of this kind of immersion in music, it must be transcendent. It's especially interesting in music because the minds perception of time passing is altered but timing is perfected.

lumberjim 06-19-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1034404)
Trying to force you mind to idle, if not stop, is an unnatural experience, that only happens normally when you die. Even sleeping, or in a coma, your brain is cooking, often full tilt boogie.

It's not unnatural, just unfamiliar. The vast majority of people never stop thinking and imagining. That's normal. It's also insane.

To be constantly talked to from inside your own head. If you were to vocalize all of your thoughts... Or if everyone could hear the voice in your head, you'd get locked up for your own protection. To have the ability to put the voice on pause and give yourself a moment's peace is a skill that you have to practice. But first you have to want to. Your ego... The person you present to the world and yourself resists it. Comes up with a lot of reasons why it's a bad idea to not think. Once you get a real taste, I promise you'll want another. And it gets easier to do the more you try.

You are challenging these things I say in this thread. I expect that it's because it doesn't ring true for you. Or you're doing me the favor of playing the straight man because you're a really really good guy and your thoughts run deep. I prefer to believe the latter. And thank you, keep arguing.

I'm not identified with this idea to the point where if I'm proven wrong, I will feel defeated or diminished. This is about personal experience, so all we can really do is share our own biased perceptions with each other and try to convey the feeling using limiting words and mental imagery.

lumberjim 06-19-2019 12:38 PM


Gravdigr 06-19-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1034368)
...singing and playing bass is an amazing challenge...

Musical buddy says that's the hardest thing he does as a musician. He's usually rhythm and lead singer. He says bass and singing lead is much harder for him.

lumberjim 06-19-2019 01:49 PM


Undertoad 06-19-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

bass and singing lead is much harder
Now add to that, calculating the low harmony on the fly!

It's amazing. And the guys ask me to do harmonies on early Beatles, but no way. I can't play something like "Day Tripper" and sing harmony at the same time. The rhythm of bass makes it really wildly hard to do, depending on the song. Paul is a stone-cold goddamn genius.

I now sing lead on "Black Water" and it is okay because the bass part is simple. And at times it doesn't even happen, on the intro and the a capella section.

limey 06-19-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1034441)
Now add to that, calculating the low harmony on the fly!

It's amazing. And the guys ask me to do harmonies on early Beatles, but no way. I can't play something like "Day Tripper" and sing harmony at the same time. The rhythm of bass makes it really wildly hard to do, depending on the song. Paul is a stone-cold goddamn genius.

I now sing lead on "Black Water" and it is okay because the bass part is simple. And at times it doesn't even happen, on the intro and the a capella section.

WTG UT!

Sent by magick

lumberjim 06-19-2019 06:31 PM

I always marveled at Jimi Hendrix. He played intricate leads and sang at the same time. Probably akin to your experience with the bass line.

You must need two minds to do that. One to remember the words, and one to communicate the music through the instrument.

I posit that the thinking mind, or ego, handles the singing, while the being self generates the music.

Both minds are useful. The thinking mind is just much more dominant in most people. You may have found your entry point into inner peace.

I'm sharing all this here, risking ridicule (because I know you're all good folks and my friends... So not much of a risk) in the hope that this idea will spread into your lives and give you the sense of calm I have these recent days. And for myself to refer back to when it slips away from me again. I started this thread 9 years ago. In my last crisis.

Good to know it's there when I need it, and the overreaching message has stayed with me in my approach to life and it's challenges.... But I've been lax in exercising. Both in mind and body.

Shit happens. I forgive me. I have it in focus now. I'm down about 35 lbs and that's a start.

Next thing is to quit smoking.

Gravdigr 06-19-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 1034448)
...risking ridicule...So not much of a risk...

Something something:mock:

Something somehting:nadkick:


:p::p::p:

Undertoad 06-19-2019 08:18 PM


Undertoad 06-19-2019 09:02 PM

this is good stuff

lumberjim 06-19-2019 11:54 PM

Real good


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.