The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What would you do? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9370)

Mage 10-17-2005 08:48 PM

What would you do?

Heres a question,

if you had the chance to save any one person you love, but by doing so you would kill millions....but the other option is killing the person but saving the millions.....what would you do? i was asked this by a friend, and i found it extremely hard to awnser..

dar512 10-17-2005 09:09 PM

C. Plan ahead so as not to get into that situation.

Mage 10-17-2005 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512
C. Plan ahead so as not to get into that situation.

Good awnser....

Lost Soul 10-17-2005 09:24 PM

I would save a loved one, why the frick would i want to save countless people i dont know?

lheene 10-18-2005 02:41 AM

I can't imagine living with millions of stranger and then missing my love one, but then I don't see happiness in living with my love one at the expense of millions. Ergo, I don't know.

marichiko 10-18-2005 03:08 AM

I would have a huge fight with my loved one, alienate them completely, so they weren't even speaking to me. Then I would save the millions and entice my loved back from their ranks.

Tonchi 10-18-2005 03:38 AM

Save WHICH millions?

Maybe I would have made a good lawyer because I always see fatal flaws in questions like these. Not enough information to make an informed choice. Are you offering me millions of sub-Sahara bandits and their AIDS-infected tribesmen in trade for the person I love most in the world? I don't think so. How about millions of scientists, teachers, philosophers, artists and the future leaders of the world who will be able to fix the mess this batch got us into? OK, maybe we can consider it.

wolf 10-18-2005 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marichiko
I would have a huge fight with my loved one, alienate them completely, so they weren't even speaking to me. Then I would save the millions and entice my loved back from their ranks.

If you still actually love them, then they still die when you save the millions. The conditions are pretty simple.

Let's just say the loophole works (Obviously, I don't think it would). All you have succeeded in doing is alienating the one person who loved you.

You'll never get that back.

Trust is a one-time-only offer.

dar512 10-18-2005 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Trust is a one-time-only offer.

Remarkable how many people don't understand that.

BTW, I've added that to my quotes database.

mrnoodle 10-18-2005 11:32 AM

Selfishly, I'd want to save my loved one.

However, if I was the loved one in question, I could never live with the knowledge that my life had cost the lives of millions of others. I imagine that if you talked to the loved one about the choice that you had to make, they would make it for you.

Some people would choose their own lives over those of the million, but I wonder how long it would be before they killed themselves anyway.

Iggy 10-18-2005 11:52 AM

I agree with Tonchi... not enough info. But I would rather saved my loved one than millions of strangers, but it does depend on who the strangers were. Hard to say.