The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly amusing you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20235)

monster 05-15-2010 06:33 PM

You can do it easily, Clod. It's more about intonation than pronunciation. Brits have so many different accents that if you get the vowels un-americanized, speak at a reasonable pace, and stress the right syllables, it'll be fine.

ZenGum 05-15-2010 09:06 PM

One thing I have noticed about impersonating accents is that they often drift through regional dialects. Someone doing a "British" accent might start Queen's English, slide into Educated London, drift into Cockney, and meander through Yorkshire to Scottish, aye?
It might help to have a specific person whose accent you are mimicking in mind - maybe even a picture of them in front of you - to keep you on track.

Oh, stuff it, just drop a lot of "I say" and "Don't you know" and "old chap" into the text. ;)

monster 05-15-2010 10:03 PM

hehe. just go for educational american, but faster and stress the other syllable.

ZenGum 05-16-2010 01:47 AM

:lol:

Bwitish? Bwitish? Moy dear chap, if oy was any moah Bwitish, oy wouldn't be abuw to talk at awll.

sexobon 05-21-2010 03:30 AM

Saw the ad for this product today:

Shark Sleeping Bag

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.parentdis...25ds051810.jpg

monster 05-21-2010 07:18 AM

That is so cool, I want one for my shark-crazy son but ......it COSTS $200!

Nirvana 05-21-2010 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just realized that my little Portia [ who died recently] was featured on the cover of 2010 BT mini calendar this year and I did not even know! She was 3 months old here

http://www.calendars.com/catalog/pro...Id=prod123478&

She is also in another 2010 calendar I cannot seem to find, I saw on my friend's wall, she and her litter sister are on the month of May.

classicman 05-21-2010 09:47 AM

Thats great! How wonderful. Happy for you.

Shawnee123 05-21-2010 10:36 AM

Everything is amuseful today.

There really IS no sense crying over spilled milk. Who'd've thunk?

:lol2:

Shawnee123 05-21-2010 10:38 AM

Don't cry for me, I'm from Xenia.

Not really, but I'd like you to cry for me. kthxbai

Beest 05-21-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 652222)
Hey, I never said I cared about it. It was just in the news.

But yes, Union clubs are much better scandal-wise. I wouldn't be surprised if they are cheating in some way, but they'll be clever and discrete enough to not get caught.

Back in University I once asked classmate, who played on the University team, what the differenece between League and Union was, he replied "one is a game for thugs played by gentleman, the other a game for thugs played by thugs", I forget which he said was which.

Beest 05-21-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 656486)
One of my corporate contracts has picked up a client that has offices in the UK, and would like their voiceover audio for those modules to be done with a British accent.

My first thought is why, Brits are plenty used to hearing american accent, I would have thought a well enunciated regionaly neutral american accent would work just fine for most applications.

Spexxvet 05-21-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 657647)

Uh, you mean dolphin sleeping bag?

Shawnee123 05-21-2010 12:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've always wanted one of these, but I would not prop myself up against a tree in one, that'd be asking to be shot!

HungLikeJesus 05-21-2010 10:43 PM

We've always wanted to see you in your bare costume.

Griff 05-22-2010 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 657701)
Everything is amuseful today.

There really IS no sense crying over spilled milk. Who'd've thunk?

:lol2:

One thing making me happy is that a SES kid in my class has not intentionally dumped milk on the floor in two weeks. Go me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 657721)
I've always wanted one of these, but I would not prop myself up against a tree in one, that'd be asking to be shot!

I saw a little black bear Thursday afternoon. :)

skysidhe 05-23-2010 12:02 AM

I'm laugh'n

@ ....private joke.

I would say but it isn't nice. Just funny as hell.

skysidhe 05-23-2010 12:29 AM

I almost forgot.

Earlier this week there was a baby squirrel hanging on my outside door frame. It was making loud vocal noises. I don't know what the word is for screaming type noises coming from squirrels are called. More than chattering. It was frightened. I was worried it had rabies. It jumped down. I thought at first it was going to run in through my door but then it ran away. I think the neighbors cat chased it. It was amusing in that squirrels don't let themselves be cornered like that or act like it is going to come into your house for safe haven.
( barring attics of course! )

Today I opened a survey envelop. Inside there was a five dollar bill. wtf! I think someone must have accidentally scooped their lunch money up while stuffing envelopes. I want to fill out the survey and sent the five dollars back but unless it got back to the person who lost the money the joke would be lost. I don't know what to do with it. I don't want someones lost money.

ZenGum 05-23-2010 06:45 AM

Maybe it is some kind of psychological experiment to see what people do with the five dollars.

squirell nutkin 05-23-2010 09:06 AM

We've gotten surveys with money in them, transportation surveys. It is an incentive to actually fill out the damn survey and be truthful instead putting down things like "Heywood Jablome"

In total, I think we got about 17 dollars. It was weird and really random amounts, like $5, $3, $7.

Clodfobble 05-23-2010 02:15 PM

Psychologically, it works better to dole out multiple small (but unpredictable) amounts, because people subconsciously like playing the lottery. If you know for sure this task will net you $2 and nothing more, you might not bother. But if you don't know for sure that the next one won't contain $20...

Tulip 05-23-2010 02:40 PM

How funny. I've never received surveys with money in them before.

skysidhe 05-26-2010 11:34 AM

I read the cover letter and it does say that a money has been included for my time.

The survey is a result of having put myself on the waiting list for health insurance lottery but after filling it out I feel I am too healthy to ask for insurance,when there are so many people in actual need. Not only that, by the time my random name gets picked I'll be employed again and won't need it anyway.

I checked out the website.It does say those people put on the waiting list in 08. I was employed then and did not put myself on any waiting list until I had an ear infection 4 months ago.
https://www.oregonhealthstudy.org/en/home.php

Nirvana 06-11-2010 06:37 PM

Poor Victor! :thepain: He got to meet the electric fence today and he was not impressed! :shock: I was walking with Victor on a longline and Suede my cattle dog loose, and Suede went under the electric fence and naturally Victor wanted to go but, it got his ear or nose and he was sure that Suede was an evil magic dog! :shocking: He shot to the end of the longline and I did a recall [poor baby] :hug: and he got over it pretty quickly but I did have to prove to him that Suede was not Electro dog. :bitching::lol:

Undertoad 06-14-2010 03:32 PM

Mama guppy dropped off about 10 fry in the turtle tank today. They're about 3mm long. They will probably be et, by turtle or other fish, but it's strangely fun to watch the process.

The turtle has signed a non-aggression pact with the other guppies. Not hunting them for sport, nor for food.

Pete Zicato 06-14-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 663073)
The turtle has signed a non-aggression pact with the other guppies. Not hunting them for sport, nor for food.

Or perhaps the turtle is smart and realizes that the parent guppies are producing food.

Undertoad 06-15-2010 12:33 PM

The fry are all et. The tank is not big enough for them to hide. The population is already too big for its area.

Trilby 06-15-2010 12:37 PM

Touchdown Jesus was struck by lightning last night and it burned to the ground.

This is amusing to me.

HungLikeJesus 06-15-2010 09:40 PM

I thought that was scorching your grove - what ever that means.

monster 06-15-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 663378)
I thought that was scorching your grove - what ever that means.

That's something to do with a burning bush, isn't it?

HungLikeJesus 06-16-2010 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 663410)
That's something to do with a burning bush, isn't it?

That was Cheney.

Trilby 06-16-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 663378)
I thought that was scorching your grove -

It does both.

Clodfobble 07-07-2010 10:43 PM

So I'm taking defensive driving online, and I was surprised to discover that a childhood friend is the hostess of my 6-hour video. Then, a few minutes in, they interviewed one of my college professors... I'm waiting with baited breath to see if I know anyone else in this dang thing.

Lamplighter 07-07-2010 11:33 PM

My granddaughter has been living with her aunt who is a trauma nurse.
The g-daughter got a ticket for not wearing her seat belt.
The g-daughter has to take a 3-hr course on driving safety.
Guess who teaches the course...

HungLikeJesus 07-08-2010 12:33 AM

Tonight I'm just mildly amusing myself.

Griff 07-08-2010 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 669341)
My granddaughter has been living with her aunt who is a trauma nurse.
The g-daughter got a ticket for not wearing her seat belt.
The g-daughter has to take a 3-hr course on driving safety.
Guess who teaches the course...

:)

Lamplighter 07-11-2010 10:13 AM

This morning I finally understood the true difference between men and women in the way they communicate:

Wife: Bill, come watch TV with me
Bill: Sits down on the couch

Wife: Would you like a cup of coffee ?
Bill: No, I just finished a cup

significant pause...

Wife: Well, will you get me one

SteveDallas 07-11-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 669335)
So I'm taking defensive driving online

This is "classroom" (or whatever) only? There's no actual driving practice?

classicman 07-11-2010 07:47 PM

normally there isn't AFAIK. Its just a moneymaking scheme. Having it done online just saves them even more money.

Clodfobble 07-11-2010 08:46 PM

There's never been actual driving involved in defensive driving, at least not in Texas. I remember even back in the 80s you could rent the 6 hours' worth of VHS tapes from Blockbuster and mail in your quiz results to prove you watched them. But my understanding is that the state doesn't make any money off of the actual classes, which are all offered by private companies.

monster 07-11-2010 09:21 PM

Did you do a bad thing, then Clodfobble? or you just fancied trying to improve your skills?

Clodfobble 07-11-2010 09:29 PM

I got caught speeding, through a tiny town between here and Houston where the speed limit secretly drops to 55 for about a mile, then goes back to 70.

Of course, I would have been going above the limit even if the signs had stayed at 70...

xoxoxoBruce 07-11-2010 10:24 PM

When I worked for Dupont, everyone was required to take the course in the evening at a high school, or you couldn't drive on company time.

classicman 07-12-2010 07:27 AM

Don't most people take it for a discount on their auto insurance? I believe you only need take it every three years. Seems worth it to me.

Clodfobble 07-12-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman
I believe you only need take it every three years.

Yeah, that's about how often I take it, but it's never been for insurance. :blush:

classicman 07-12-2010 08:59 AM

<knock knock>
on wood ;)

Lamplighter 07-29-2010 01:42 PM

Helping out the neighbors

Lamplighter 07-31-2010 10:41 AM

My wife, Edy, and I were sitting on the couch and our chocolate Lab, Vicky, started licking herself the way dogs do.

Edy yelled, "Vicky, Stop that ! If you're going to do that, do it somewhere else ! "

Vicky looked up quite defiantly, and I thought I heard her say under her breath:
"If you think you can do it better, come over hear and do it yourself ! "

ZenGum 08-04-2010 08:07 AM

Best abstract ever:

Quote:

Kotzee, Ben (2007) Our Vision and our Mission: Bullshit, Assertion and Belief. S. Afr. J. Philos. Vol 26 No 2 pp 163-175.

Abstract

“Bullshit”, as Harry Frankfurt writes in his recent book, On Bullshit, is a communication that pretends to be genuinely informative, but really is not. The person who talks bullshit, Frankfurt holds, is unconcerned with whether what he says is true, but is very concerned with how he is thought of by the listener. In this paper, I discuss Frankfurt's theory of bullshit, making specific reference to the requirement for deceptive intent on the part of the bullshitter, and to whether bullshitting must involve conscious dishonesty. Some choice examples of bullshit are nosed and the question of whether Frankfurt really has it in for postmodernism is addressed.
Vouched for as genuine by yours truly. Frankfurt (2005) On Bullshit is a real book and is in my uni library.

classicman 08-04-2010 08:46 AM

that belongs in the politics thread.

ZenGum 08-04-2010 08:51 AM

Bullshit.

:p:

:)

Madman 08-05-2010 10:27 AM

I get an average of 50-60 phone calls and roughly 100 emails a day. I'm very good at responding and organizing (I apologize if I sound like a braggart - that's not my intention). Anyway, yesterday afternoon I busied out both my incoming lines - that was fun :D

...and my email. Ohhh... I was a bad boy. I forwarded it to my boss - all of it! :D:D ...and he's on vacation!!! :D:D:D For a week! Oops!

I'm going home pretty soon and I'm calling in sick tomorrow.

Sometimes rebellion has a sweet flavor.

They won't fire me. Not that I'm indespensible - I'm not. I'm just too reliable.

Sundae 08-05-2010 12:21 PM

Overheard in town today, two old wifies:
"You can't even tell what colour girls are these days, what with sunbeds and fake tans"

I think she meant you can't tell a girl's ethnic heritage.
Because after all you CAN tell what colour she is. You just have to look.

SteveDallas 08-06-2010 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
HAGGIZ!!!! So close, but yet so far.

monster 08-06-2010 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Space Exploration Monster Boy.

I also have a three minute video of his monologue as he narrates his adventures, but it's somewhat shaky as I was lmao silently so he wouldn't notice me videoing :D

glatt 08-06-2010 10:31 AM

Very serious business.

Undertoad 08-06-2010 10:50 AM

Looks like he's about to frib some aconite.

thud85 08-06-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 674827)
HAGGIZ!!!! So close, but yet so far.

They need to hurry up the development of a reliable Android screenshot app; I've taken pictures of my phone with a friend's phone and then sent it to my own phone too many times, I'm always afraid I'm going to get sucked into a black hole.

Griff 08-06-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 674838)
Very serious business.

Never moreso.

SteveDallas 08-06-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thud85 (Post 674846)
They need to hurry up the development of a reliable Android screenshot app; I've taken pictures of my phone with a friend's phone and then sent it to my own phone too many times, I'm always afraid I'm going to get sucked into a black hole.

Indeed. I looked up instructions, and it involves doing arcane things with the Android Software Development Kit--which I actually already had installed on my computer. But I didn't have time to deal with it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 674841)
Looks like he's about to frib some aconite.

My favorite is the beagle roast.

(JEEZ!! Can't you people take a joke??)