The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Air Space (Head Room) (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33891)

xoxoxoBruce 11-20-2018 09:07 PM

Air Space (Head Room)

OK, I own 4.5 acres of the surface and as near as I can determine the mineral rights beneath.
But for how deep, where do I run up against the property rights of the other side of the Earth, halfway or does the government claim after a certain depth?

Quote:

Air taxis and delivery drones may soon make the airspace between 200 and 5000 feet above ground level much more valuable.
The looming question is what about my headroom, aka airspace? Evidently this space is going to be real valuable.
Is the government going to auction it off for peanuts like the broadcast spectrum. I'm not saying cheap in that I'm not able to raise that kind of money, but cheap compared in comparison to the profit to be made from it.
Why not rent it, with increases in rent keyed to the cost of living or the excess profits milked from it? To award or sell it in perpetuity seems the least profitable way. But I suppose it's not about maximising revenue for the government(taxpayers), it's about rewarding the financiers of campaigns.

Oh, oh, give it to me deep and hard, daddy. :doit:

Gravdigr 11-21-2018 02:14 PM

I don't think you can make any claims as to airspace.

If ya can, though, the motherfucking air-ambulance outta Bowling Green won't be flying over my house at 4 in the fucking morning anymore.

glatt 11-21-2018 02:30 PM

Local air transportation for the masses will be a very bad thing. The idea that you can get a quiet cottage in the country and fly to work is laughable when literally every other mouth breather has exactly the same plan. Cities will go from dense centers surrounded by green countryside to just being and endless sprawl from one end of the country to the other. No empty space anywhere. And no peace and quiet because you'll have 100 people a day flying over your house no matter where you live.

Gravdigr 11-21-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Cities will go from dense centers surrounded by green countryside to just being and endless sprawl from one end of the country to the other.
And lord I can't make any changes
All I can do is write 'em in a song
I can see the concrete slowly creeping
Lord take me and mine before that comes

~All I Can Do Is Write About It

Undertoad 11-21-2018 03:47 PM

The future is below.

Yesterday, Elon Musk's Boring Company completed its first tunnel... at least the digging part. The first ride in it happens on Dec. 11.

xoxoxoBruce 11-21-2018 07:58 PM

Musk's tunnels may be built instead of light rail or freeways, but the cost dictates heavy usage so it's not coming to the neighborhood. It also isn't practical for home goods delivery, that has to be by surface routes or air.

Clodfobble 11-21-2018 09:48 PM

It's meant to replace air travel between major hub cities, not the average in-town commute, right?

xoxoxoBruce 11-21-2018 10:16 PM

I think so, air and additional freeways, at least in the CA environment.

Happy Monkey 11-22-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1019355)
It's meant to replace air travel between major hub cities, not the average in-town commute, right?

I thing he's also planning airport-to-city-center-type routes.

xoxoxoBruce 11-22-2018 10:06 AM

High traffic corridors.