The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

Aliantha 02-06-2008 04:57 PM

Always remember, colour is your friend unless you want to look like a funeral director.

bbro 02-07-2008 09:39 AM

I'm still sick and I want to be at home in bed, but can't afford to miss another day of work :(

HungLikeJesus 02-07-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 430293)
...My loss is Las Vegas' gain :eek:

Isn't that always the case with Las Vegas?

Shawnee123 02-07-2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 430538)
Isn't that always the case with Las Vegas?

No one really knows for sure, because what happens there, stays there.

HungLikeJesus 02-07-2008 10:51 AM

That's not true; my friend's wife got pregnant in Las Vegas. They had to keep the baby.

Shawnee123 02-07-2008 10:52 AM

Unfair laws. :lol:

kerosene 02-07-2008 10:54 AM

Or misleading advertisements. :eek:

BigV 02-07-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 430560)
Unfair laws. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 430562)
Or misleading advertisements. :eek:

Youse guys are still talking about HLJ's remark, aren't you?

DucksNuts 02-10-2008 06:27 PM

I have thrush AND an UTI.

TMI?

deal with it

monster 02-10-2008 07:20 PM

OUCH

Aliantha 02-10-2008 07:29 PM

So you'll be making your acquaintance with the chemist then ducks? ;) Poor girlie. Hope you get it all cleared up nice and quickly.

binky 02-10-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 430368)
I was a flamingo pink once. (my hair) Not good and not cool. What a nightmare! That only works if you are an e-surance animation. I feel your pain sundae...I do.

I had to show up to work in a hat. Then I had to fight to keep it on.

If you aren't naturally red, just stay away from the red box. It's full of demons.

I naturally have mousy brown hair, and dyed it dark auburn for years, until last year, when I said fuck it, and started letting the grey streaks come in

Clodfobble 02-11-2008 10:31 AM

What a weekend. So a fan in the computer has been noisy for awhile, and finally started rattling too much to deal with.

Quick examination proved it to be the fan contained within the power supply. No problem: we run to Fry's, get a little $15 fan, and put it in. It does not spin. During the process of trying to figure out if it could really be dead right out of the box, we start moving bits and pieces about, connecting and disconnecting--and suddenly there's a little arc, and the computer goes off.

Turns out this is a rare breed of AC-powered fan, that looks exactly like its DC counterparts and is not clearly designated as such on the box at all. (When we eventually went back to Fry's to get the right fan, the salesguy argued with us that there was no such thing as an AC internal-component computer fan until we showed him the product right on his shelf.) Long story short, we fried the motherboard, and possibly more. We have now replaced it--hell of an expensive fan repair--but we can still only boot up into safemode, and our next move is to reinstall Windows. There's no reason to think this won't be the end of our problems, but cynicism has me by the throat at this point. (Did I mention the minivan's back in the shop? They really think they've figured it out for sure, this time.) Everything important is backed up--but it's backed up to a second drive within the same machine, so for all we know it got fried by Mr. Tiny Electrical Arc too. That'll teach me to procrastinate about getting the family photos printed for two years... :(

Undertoad 02-11-2008 10:37 AM

I would not attempt a fan replacement within the power supply.

So you replaced the motherboard with a different motherboard eh?

Clodfobble 02-11-2008 10:46 AM

Yeah, actually I've now remembered we used an older one we had in the house because we couldn't find a decent AGP (I think that's right?) old-style motherboard for sale, and if we got a different kind we'd just have to buy a new video card and/or CPU... so it wasn't actually expensive to replace. But the other one's definitely fried-alicious, it goes into a neverending reboot cycle when it's hooked up.

Edit: I'm a poor relayer of information, not to mention way out of my league on the technology here. Mr. Clod, who was up working on it long after I went to bed last night, says it's behaving the same way with the new motherboard, so the new theory is the C: drive is what's damaged. Old motherboard is going back in, then Windows is getting reinstalled, possibly on a new drive. But I'm told the new power supply fan is working great! :rolleyes: