The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Something to think about the next time you order sushi (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17949)

richlevy 08-24-2008 06:19 PM

Something to think about the next time you order sushi

From here

Quote:

Up to a quarter of fish in stores and restaurants in New York City was mislabelled as a more expensive variety, according to samples collected by two US teenagers and tested with genetic "barcoding" methods.
Quote:

In all cases, the fish was labelled as a more costly type, apparently ruling out simple chance. It was the first known student use of DNA barcoding technology in a public market.
So you might as well order the cheaper variety to begin with, because there's a %25 chance that that is what you are getting anyway.

Maui Nick 08-24-2008 10:22 PM

We've had problems with that here in Florida, too --- restaurants selling grouper entrees that turn out to be something other than grouper. In one case, the restaurant chain resorted to calling it "grouper's teammate" or something like that.

ZenGum 08-24-2008 10:40 PM

"grouper's teammate" ... why not just call it a groupie?

JuancoRocks 08-25-2008 01:11 AM

Bait.......

Aliantha 08-25-2008 01:15 AM

We have similar issues here with seafood, despite legislation in place which requires food to be labled correctly.

It's a big issue, and if you don't think you're getting what you've paid for, you need to speak up about it. It's a case of buyer beware as always. Know what your product should look, feel and taste like, and if you haven't got it on your plate, make a complaint to your governing body.

ZenGum 08-25-2008 02:55 AM

I was going to make a "bait and switch" joke... but the points to Jaunco. [doffs cap].

sweetwater 08-26-2008 05:27 AM

I'm going to Japan in a couple of weeks. I'll point to something on the menu and trust that whatever-I-get is whatever-it-was. Some of the best sushi I have ever had before was in NYC restaurants. At least, I think it was sushi.

xoxoxoBruce 08-26-2008 07:24 AM

Raw fish? :headshake
Quote:

Swallow the roundworm, Anisakis simplex, however, and the consequence, a disease called anisakiasis, will make your stomach churn--both literally and figuratively. If you're "lucky," the worm will cause a tickle in your throat as it is swallowed, prompting you to cough or vomit it up. If not, it can bore into your stomach or gut lining, causing severe abdominal inflammation and pain that mimics appendicitis or an ulcer, often within an hour of eating. The only way to get the worm out at this stage is through removal by endoscope or surgery. In addition, Anisakis has been documented as provoking severe allergic reactions in some people.

sweetwater 08-26-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 478222)
Raw fish? :headshake

I saw an episode of House where the patient had a tapeworm. It was horrible - I had to look away and I'm pretty tough. But sushi tastes so good! Ah well. I have often said that the best diet tool is a microscope at the kitchen table...

Shawnee123 08-26-2008 04:00 PM

I want a tapeworm. Can I order one online?

Trilby 08-26-2008 04:08 PM

Raw fish...YUCK! Disgusting! I guess that makes me pretty provincial, but, hey, I never have to worry about Anisakis, either.

I've become a veggie since chemo. Meat doesn't taste right anymore and I've no appetite for it. Weird, huh? But raw meat/fish----? Steak Tartare, sushi...I'd rather lick rock moss.

ZenGum 08-26-2008 08:35 PM

Raw fish is delicious if it is VERY fresh. Even refreigerated, it goes dodgy within a few hours.

Sweetwater, where are you going in Japan? (apart from Kyoto and Tokyo, of course).

The random pointing technique might get you a few surprises - some specials include "sperm-filled reproductive gland of the male squid" and having a live octopus brought to your table, its tentacles chopped off, and one dropped on your plate ... still twitching and suckering while you eat it.
Good luck!

Trilby 08-26-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 478441)
...and having a live octopus brought to your table, its tentacles chopped off, and one dropped on your plate ... still twitching and suckering while you eat it.
Good luck!

Why not just swallow a few live gold fish and impress your roommates? I still say YICK.

jinx 08-26-2008 09:23 PM

All you freak sushi haters? I'll eat your share. Just the fish though, nothing weird, no genitals or fluids thanks.

smoothmoniker 08-27-2008 05:42 PM

Sushi is not "fresh." If you are eating it in the United States, it has been in deep-freeze for several days, at least. It's illegal to sell it fresh.