The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   1/25/2005: Saint Anthony's purification ritual (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7631)

Undertoad 01-25-2005 11:35 AM

1/25/2005: Saint Anthony's purification ritual

http://cellar.org/2004/stanthonypurification.jpg

Not much information is available on this annual festival in the village of Vilanova d'Alcolea near Castellon, Spain. The official caption suggests that Saint Anthony is the patron saint of animals and this is the "purification ceremony" section of the festival on his official Day.

I'm not sure how a horse is purified by jumping through fire; a good round of antibiotics and better stall maintenance would be much more effective. And I'm not sure why the patron saint of animals winds up putting his beasts into a big bonfire. Seems like an effective patron saint would score a better contract, such as the Hindus have done for the cows, or the Buddhists for all critters in general.

A round of severe googling turned up very little detail, other than Anthony's appearance at the same time in Sicily. These festivals sound like a great time, I want one:

Ancient tradition has it that the saint, like Prometheus, stole into hell and brought back fire, so naturally the festivities revolve around a bonfire. Each town places different herbs and fruits atop the blaze, creating a unique aroma. Women emerge from their homes bearing sweets and dark fruity loaves of pane nigheddu, while men pass around bottles of wine and aquavit.

Wow! I, personally, am all in favor of this kind of thing. I can taste the pane nigheddu now! I'm not sure about the community bottles, as I just got over a bout of illness, you know, wouldn't want another round of that.

lookout123 01-25-2005 11:44 AM

c'mon everybody! "horse nuts roasting on an open fire, dipshits making your equine roast"

Elspode 01-25-2005 12:14 PM

Looks like something akin to driving the animals 'twixt the balefires at Beltane (May Day, to the rest of you non-Pagans).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltane

magilla 01-25-2005 12:31 PM

Note that they have the horse's mane all bundled up in flowers. Presumably they did the same for the critter's tail, too. I hope that's to keep it from getting torched.

It makes me feel better about this to see the horse has a live human rider, although he could be the type that participates in the Taming of the Bulls that we saw a few days ago :)

Trilby 01-25-2005 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
Looks like something akin to driving the animals 'twixt the balefires at Beltane (May Day, to the rest of you non-Pagans).

" 'twixt" being the operative word. :D

Troubleshooter 01-25-2005 01:22 PM

Just another party plagarized from the pagans right?

xoxoxoBruce 01-25-2005 06:40 PM

Quote:

Each town places different herbs and fruits atop the blaze, creating a unique aroma.
I doubt if it would mask burning hair as that's pretty pungent. :vomit:

wolf 01-25-2005 08:12 PM

Which Anthony?

Saint Anthony of Padua (this is the "popular" one ... the Lost Things guy)

Saint Anthony of the Desert

(Oh man. there are actually 31 Saint Anthonies ... That's too much typing. Here's a list of patron saints, by name. )

Anthony of Padua and Anthony the Abbott both have associations to animals.

capnhowdy 01-25-2005 08:51 PM

It'd be cool on video.
Odds are: this guy busts his ass.
Or either he's a damn good rider.
Eat your heart out, Junior Bonner....... :eek:

xoxoxoBruce 01-26-2005 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Which Anthony?

Saint Anthony of Padua (this is the "popular" one ... the Lost Things guy)

Saint Anthony of the Desert

snip

I noticed that both these Anthonys came from rich, powerful families and were chosen by God to do great things.
just like GW Bush. :headshake

Elspode 01-26-2005 12:43 PM

All in favor of riding Bush through flames on horseback, say "aye"!

Senor Oso 01-26-2005 02:24 PM

I'm pretty sure that these people are taking the words "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" in an entirely different way than it was meant.

Griff 01-26-2005 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senor Oso
I'm pretty sure that these people are taking the words "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" in an entirely different way than it was meant.

:biggrin:

Aye.

capnhowdy 01-26-2005 05:43 PM

The PETA people must be on strike, thank goodness.
If you'll notice, the horse isn't being ridden through the blaze.
It's being led (or should I say forced) through it.
The guy "leading" him doesn't really seem to be having a blast either.
The rider kooks as if to be saying: Faster, you sluggish bastard!
[quote] "People do do the strangest things"[quote]

xoxoxoBruce 01-26-2005 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
All in favor of riding Bush through flames on horseback, say "aye"!

How about a horse on Bushback? ;)