The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What Are You Drinking Tonight? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28491)

lumberjim 01-21-2013 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
AS I understand it, Scotch is smokier and heavier. Irish smooth and lighter.

Quote:

The difference between Irish whiskey and Scotch whiskies

· The big difference between Scotch and Irish whiskey is the distilling phase which is made twice with Scotch and three times with Irish, giving Irish whiskey a particular lightness

· Scotch whisky first allows the barley to sprout and then it is dried. Irish whiskey uses raw and malted barley while Scotch is entirely malted barley. (This is partly because there was an extra tax on malt in Ireland)

· Scotch barley is dried with peat smoke which gives the usual scotch aroma to whisky.

· Scotch is cask aged for at least 2 years, Irish at least 3 years.

· Irish whiskey is distilled three times in larger than normal copper "pot" stills. The pot stills and the extra distillation produce a uniquely delicate drink. Developing later, Scotch uses continuous process stills.

· The rural poor, in Ireland, made whiskey first. The logic is whiskey developed in a bread eating culture. You grow grain, mill it for bread and save some to sow next year's crop. In good seasons when you have extra, you make whiskey.

· The Irish invented it, but Scotland is the spiritual home of whiskey

whisky in Gaelic is uisage beatha The Water of Life

IF you read Outlander, it comes up a bit. I did the audio book, so I got the pronunciation of "uisge beatha" by Davina Porter. I have never seen a picture of Davina Porter, but I'm pretty sure I'd do bad awful things to her person if I got the chance.

She has one of those voices like Emma Thompson ( who stars as DanaC in my 'cellar reading voice in my head') the narrator from 'Stranger Than Fiction' Where Will Farrell is hearing the events of his life, narrated by an author writing her masterpiece, in his head.
Attachment 42530

limey 01-21-2013 04:21 AM

I went to school with Emma Thompson.
Not all Scotch uses peat-smoked malted barley. The island malts tend to, the Highland (Speyside) whiskies tend to be lighter ...

Clodfobble 01-21-2013 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Davina Porter:

jimhelm 01-21-2013 08:41 AM

Damn your eyes, clobble.

Youre usually pretty smart. I posit that you KNEW that I specifically didn't google her picture so as not to jeopardize potential fapping material. And furthermore, that you willfully attempted to pop my fap bubble!

Clodfobble 01-21-2013 09:05 AM

You posit... correctly, sir. :)

Womenfolk, they be tricksy and mean.

footfootfoot 01-21-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 849353)
I went to school with Emma Thompson.
Not all Scotch uses peat-smoked malted barley. The island malts tend to, the Highland (Speyside) whiskies tend to be lighter ...

Emma is my long time crush. Tell me she wasn't a complete tool IRL.
Apart from marrying Branagh, WTF?

jimhelm 01-21-2013 09:13 AM

Well then. Brad Pitt has a 3" willy

Sundae 01-21-2013 09:16 AM

Jim I read that you didn't goggle her picture. Which seemed appropriate.

Clodfobble 01-21-2013 09:18 AM

Come on, you'll have to work harder than that. Brad Pitt's gross. All hairy, with that weird-shaped mouth... I like the nerds, jim, the nerds!

jimhelm 01-21-2013 09:18 AM

Captain Picard has Halitosis?

Clodfobble 01-21-2013 09:23 AM

Closer... he's a little old for me though. Better to go after Ralph Fiennes, or Stephen Colbert, or Neil Patrick Harris, or Benedict Cumberbatch...

limey 01-21-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 849376)
Emma is my long time crush. Tell me she wasn't a complete tool IRL.
Apart from marrying Branagh, WTF?

I'm afraid she was, just a bit ...

footfootfoot 01-21-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 849382)
Come on, you'll have to work harder than that. Brad Pitt's gross. All hairy, with that weird-shaped mouth... I like the nerds, jim, the nerds!

Me???:blush:

Trilby 01-21-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 849397)
Me???:blush:

OH! That is IT!

I'm through with you, so called footfootfoot!

lose my number! forget my address!

I"ll never love again

(walks away sobbing whilst simulanteously asking the sky "WHY?! WHY?!"

then gets hit by a bus.

hope you're happy.

Trilby 01-21-2013 12:41 PM

I hope lumberjim comes to see me in the hospital...but not foot!