The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   January 16, 2007: Lion kiss (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13091)

Undertoad 01-16-2007 11:36 AM

January 16, 2007: Lion kiss

http://cellar.org/2006/LionKiss.jpg

This one has gone around so much that you've probably seen it. There was also news video of it. This woman is in the habit of hugging and kissing her lion.
Quote:

CALI, Columbia -- Ana Julia Torres kisses Jupiter, an African lion she rescued malnourished from a circus six years ago, at her Villa Lorena animal shelter, in Cali, Colombia. Ana Julia Torres is the owner of the 12-year-old shelter that rescues sick and mistreated animals from all over Colombia.
I'm gonna go ahead and say that this is a terrible idea, getting up close and all personal with a lion; who surely knows there is no penalty, naturally speaking, from opening his maw and taking a big bite of this woman. And since she's in Colombia she probably hasn't heard of Siegfried and Roy.

glatt 01-16-2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 307686)
I'm gonna go ahead and say that this is a terrible idea,

Are you sure you want to stick your neck out that far?

Sundae 01-16-2007 11:45 AM

Mmmm-mmmm, raw meat breath, dirty great big yellow teeth, raspy tongue all fresh from licking hairy arse and furry balls - what's not to like?

(and that's before I get started on the lion!)

xoxoxoBruce 01-16-2007 12:12 PM

She looks like she might cook up well, but should be cleaned first..... you don't know where she's been.
Is this payback for all the critters we've eaten in IOtD? :cool:

Elspode 01-16-2007 01:18 PM

Absolutely she's a moment away from being mauled at this creature's whim, but on the other hand, anyone who's ever owned housecats will recognize the look of utter love and contentment on that lion's face. Even though he might eat her tomorrow, he *loves* her, and loves the attention she's giving him. I've even had cats that wrapped their paws around my neck that way, holding me closer and purring as they did so.

Phil 01-16-2007 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode (Post 307717)
Absolutely she's a moment away from being mauled at this creature's whim, but on the other hand, anyone who's ever owned housecats will recognize the look of utter love and contentment on that lion's face. Even though he might eat her tomorrow, he *loves* her, and loves the attention she's giving him. I've even had cats that wrapped their paws around my neck that way, holding me closer and purring as they did so.

agreed. i'd love to cuddle a lion, but i wouldnt have the balls!

Sheldonrs 01-16-2007 01:45 PM

The lion knows there are cameras around. If they weren't she would be Samaritan TarTare.

Trilby 01-16-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode (Post 307717)
I've even had cats that wrapped their paws around my neck that way, holding me closer and purring as they did so.

Those were women, elspode, women!

Shawnee123 01-16-2007 01:55 PM

I sure would love to cuddle a big old lion.

I think a lot about The Life of Pi in cases like these, where he talks about growing up in the zoo, and wild animals are wild animals no matter how tame they seem.

But that doesn't mean I want to believe them. I want to hug every lion, tiger, or bear that I see, oh my!

ferret88 01-16-2007 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 307696)
Is this payback for all the critters we've eaten in IOtD? :cool:

That's what I thought. And I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to discuss the cleaning and cooking of the human caregiver. Guess it's ok, so here goes...

I'd think she'd be tough and game-y. But maybe a lion would like that.

On the other hand (paw?), maybe he just likes her perfume. Wait, that's another thread...

CharlieG 01-17-2007 06:50 AM

One time I met an animal trainer who had a panther. He was talking about "big cats" and said that they really are just like house cats - they behave the same way, and love you the same way, with one MINOR difference.

When a house cat decides to play a little rough, or makes a mistake and give you a nip or a scratch, you go put on a bandaid (tm) - when a panther/lion/tiger makes the same "oops I'm sorry" mistake, you call the ambulance

rkzenrage 01-17-2007 10:04 AM

Watched Ghost & The Darkness twice... nope.

Elspode 01-17-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 307735)
Those were women, elspode, women!

Are you suggesting that I've grown so senile that I cannot differentiate between pussies?

Hoof Hearted 01-17-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 307988)
Watched Ghost & The Darkness twice... nope.

Many years ago, long before Ghost and the Darkness was filmed, I read the book it was based on...it is much worse than what was portrayed in the movie...graphic photos, too.
The Man-Eaters of Tsavo, Lt. Col. J. H. Patterson. Peter Capstick Library.
I've also seen the mounts of the Tsavo Lions at the Chicago Field Museum. They were very 'healthy' looking despite the fact they had sparse manes.

glatt 01-18-2007 08:01 AM

They just recently found the cave with all the human bones in it too. That railroad work site was just a smorgasboard for the lions. They were living large.