The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Fun with crane trucks (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7250)

ToastyKen 11-19-2004 04:57 AM

Fun with crane trucks

This is pretty hilarious. What happens when you don't plan ahead.

404Error 11-19-2004 08:16 AM

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger truck! :D

Undertoad 11-19-2004 08:37 AM

I fully expected to see the second truck tip. :D

jaguar 11-19-2004 10:38 AM

dead link..

ToastyKen 11-19-2004 11:08 AM

Link works fine for me, still, Jaguar.

And note how the second truck has center-of-balance supports. :)

jaguar 11-19-2004 11:14 AM

hmm works for me now. Did anyone get hurt?

ToastyKen 11-19-2004 11:17 AM

I have no idea. That link is all the info I have. It doesn't look like anyone was in the cab. I hope the crane operator noticed something was wrong and hopped off before it tumbled over, but I really have no idea. :\

jaguar 11-19-2004 11:19 AM

If Michael Long Crane Recovery has any sense this'll be on a billboard sometime soon.

edited so it makes sense.

xoxoxoBruce 11-20-2004 12:27 AM

I want to know what happened tothe guy in the grey jacket, standing closest to the camera, between the third and fourth picture? :confused:

404Error 11-20-2004 12:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I want to know what happened tothe guy in the grey jacket, standing closest to the camera, between the third and fourth picture? :confused:

He must have run for the hills when the crane started to go over, he came back in the fifth picture when the coast was clear. :eek2:

zippyt 11-20-2004 02:38 AM

but WHO was operateing the crane ???? I have Looked hard at ALL the pics and have YET to figuer it out .

Griff 11-20-2004 05:39 AM

I think its an RC crane, I saw a guy putting up a timber frame with one, they're pretty sweet. My money is on the gray haired gent with the dark sweater standing closest to us in the first shot.

404Error 11-20-2004 09:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt
but WHO was operateing the crane ???? I have Looked hard at ALL the pics and have YET to figuer it out .

OK, with a little photo manipulation I removed the glare from the windshield and low and behold, it looks like LJ and his cousin NBN operating that crane truck! :eek:

Elspode 11-20-2004 10:56 AM

Griff is probably correct. RC crane operation is increasingly the standard. The unit is usually something a bit smaller than a shoe box, worn on a belt apparatus, leaving the controls at comfortable waist operation height.

If you look closely at the zoom shot third from the end, where the white car is being lifted by the larger truck, you can see that same guy (although he looks more blonde on my monitor) with his back to the camera. It appears that he has a grey strap running below his sweater line, which is probably the control unit belt.

I'm really curious as to what the hell the operator of the first truck was thinking. It appears that it was operating waaayyy our of parameters. I see no outriggers on it to begin with (the reason it went over)... In fact, it looks like the bed is a RO/RO (roll-on, roll-off), making me believe that the truck and it's arm were more designed for short reaches and straight-up lifts onto the bed.

I also wonder if the Brit (it looks to be Britain, anyway) pollution regs are as stringent as ours, because you can see tens of gallons of diesel pouring out of the first truck as it goes over the side. Probably mucked up the water in the quaint little port for a bit.

zippyt 11-20-2004 09:07 PM

Well 404 that answers that !!!!! Good job !!!!!

Splode and griff , there are MANY other things run by remote nowdays , I have a customer that runs ALL their train's with remotes , so one man can run the engine and uncouple cars and throw switches , that works great untill , well , once they had a safety meeting , both the train operators were there , and they picked up the wrong remotes , they both were saying why isn't this thing respondind right , MORE throttle !!!!
Ever seen what happens when 2 engins hit head on at 5 throttles ( about 35 mph ) ????