The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Thinking about getting a welder (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19397)

chrisinhouston 01-28-2009 10:54 PM

Thinking about getting a welder

Can't decide if I want a gas or electric but I JUST NEED TO DO SOME DAMN WELDING!!!! I was so good in High School shop class at welding that Coach Vicnair used to bring me things from football practice to fix.

Help me decide

HungLikeJesus 01-28-2009 11:04 PM

How big of a space have you cleared for it?

classicman 01-28-2009 11:16 PM

lol - there's your motivation to clean!

chrisinhouston 01-28-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 527875)
lol - there's your motivation to clean!

HEY I'M WORKING ON THAT!!!

Griff 01-29-2009 05:40 AM

I want a welder too. First I need to build a barn to keep it in... Definitely get a welder, you'll end up with more friends than you can shake a stick at.

slang 01-29-2009 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 527917)
Definitely get a welder

Yes, get one. It's one of many great tools that may be helpful in the coming months, years.

Another might be a reflux still for fuel.

Undertoad 01-29-2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

I want a welder too. First I need to build a barn to keep it in...
Savage. That is no way to refer to a fellow human being. Keep him in a conditioned area, he'll be more productive.

wolf 01-29-2009 10:15 AM

I was thinking about getting a welder too, but they tend to want to have the boys over all though sports season, and follow all the sports, and place incredible demands on any females around, continually screaming for more beer and more chips, doing unspeakable things to the Victoria's Secret Catalog, and continually forgetting to mow the lawn, and you know, they never do any welding around the house no matter how much you need it, so I shot him.

I found a nice software tester, instead.

Shawnee123 01-29-2009 10:50 AM

lol @ wolf!

TheMercenary 01-29-2009 12:53 PM

I want to learn to weld and get one of those electric welding machines that use rods. I always seem to have a few odd jobs that come up every year that I could use the skill but I usually end up throwing the items away.

Griff 01-29-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 527988)
Savage. That is no way to refer to a fellow human being. Keep him in a conditioned area, he'll be more productive.

[Simon]Nah, makes 'em surly.[/Legree]

Griff 01-29-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slang (Post 527919)
Another might be a reflux still for fuel.

Need more information.

slang 01-29-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 528142)
Need more information.

Reflux Distilling Device

When the gas prices went sky high over the summer a radio program had a guest ( David Blume ) on that I thought certainly was crazy or lying.

After testing out a few of the suggestions from the radio show it seemed clear that he was absolutely accurate with his claims.

When the excrement hits the fan, it may be helpful for a rural independant man like you to have the ability to "make gas". If only for running a generator it would give you a huge advantage.

On the other hand if life became completely fubar, you could drink your sorrows away as well. :)

Mr Bloom's book is the most complete single collection of every aspect of alcohol as a motor fuel.

He's a liberal hillbilly ( if that is possible ) from San Fran and the book is a fascinating read with all the technical information and commentary.

There are many that are critical of the book on Amazon, mostly for the economics of making your own alco-fuel, but not so much of the technical instructions of how to and the explainations of what is.

When gas becomes unavailable, the economics of alternatives will change dramatically.

As important as a welder might be in troubled times, having Blume's book or even a reflux still would be just as important.

chrisinhouston 02-06-2009 09:18 AM

The dilema for me is whether to get a gas welder so I can weld, braze and cut metal or to get an arc welder which would mean I would have to cut bits of metal with a cut off saw or metal band saw, neither of which I have. I never learned MIG or TIG welding and don't really need to weld aluminum.

I'm leaning towards the gas torch but the main hassle is most commercial gas supply places want to lease you the tanks. I think I'll go down to the local welding supply shop and look around.

busterb 02-06-2009 11:28 AM

Chris, I've been in welding game around 40 yrs. I got a new Lincoln last year as replacement for old one. BTW most places will sell the small & mid-size tanks, not cheap. Nor is getting them refilled.
I bought this ONE for $150. This ONE might meet your needs?
I really want one with ac/dc output, around $500, but my TIG regulator, other shit needed repair, so I got the cheaper one.