The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Camping (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33196)

bbro 05-29-2018 05:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The initial soaking. The subsequent ones got much worse.

Attachment 63865

Attachment 63866

Griff 05-29-2018 05:30 PM

btw your ground cloth should be not be exposed but you probably know that now...

monster 05-29-2018 05:37 PM

looks to me like the tent has a built-in and is just pitched on top of a bigger ground sheet?

xoxoxoBruce 05-29-2018 07:10 PM

Holy cow, the Gourmet goes wild, you probably used a fork too. :haha:

Griff 05-30-2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1009272)
looks to me like the tent has a built-in and is just pitched on top of a bigger ground sheet?

Tru-nuff. Still a good habit in case of holes.

bbro 05-30-2018 09:00 AM

Griff/monster - yes, there is a separate tarp underneath the tent. I couldn't find a tarp the correct size, so this is slightly bigger. It's for extra protection and insulation. I am pretty sure the bottom of the tent would already be holey by now if not for that!

Bruce - I did use forks!! :D The last lunch was going to be faaaannnncccyyyy - Pork chops and bulgur!!

Diaphone Jim 05-30-2018 11:29 AM

No fair just showing us the little car and hiding the truck.

bbro 05-30-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim (Post 1009322)
No fair just showing us the little car and hiding the truck.

?? I don't have a truck or a car. I have a Nissan Rogue.

glatt 05-30-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 1009315)
Griff/monster - yes, there is a separate tarp underneath the tent. I couldn't find a tarp the correct size, so this is slightly bigger.

When a big tarp/groundcloth sticks out from under the tent so that a few inches or a foot are exposed, you get puddling on the top of that tarp/groundcloth, and the puddles flow under the tent getting the floor wet. It's much more effective at keeping you dry if you fold those flaps of extra tarp under the tent so they are not exposed to the rain.

bbro 05-31-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1009327)
When a big tarp/groundcloth sticks out from under the tent so that a few inches or a foot are exposed, you get puddling on the top of that tarp/groundcloth, and the puddles flow under the tent getting the floor wet. It's much more effective at keeping you dry if you fold those flaps of extra tarp under the tent so they are not exposed to the rain.

Gotcha. It was actually dry inside the tent itself, even with the over hang

Pamela 05-31-2018 12:26 PM

Sorry to hear you were rained out. Bummer!

I am more hardcore and camp no matter the weather since my goals are different than yours. Sleeping in a hammock takes practice, esp since I toss and turn a lot. My hammock is a tent model, so that no actual tent is needed. This is the shelter I plan to use during the zombie apocalypse, where I shall sleep high in sturdy trees to avoid hungry zombies. I wonder how Rick and the others would be doing had they tried that early on?

bbro 05-31-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamela (Post 1009361)
Sorry to hear you were rained out. Bummer!

I am more hardcore and camp no matter the weather since my goals are different than yours. Sleeping in a hammock takes practice, esp since I toss and turn a lot. My hammock is a tent model, so that no actual tent is needed. This is the shelter I plan to use during the zombie apocalypse, where I shall sleep high in sturdy trees to avoid hungry zombies. I wonder how Rick and the others would be doing had they tried that early on?

I am pretty sure I slept in my hammock during the non-rain part - lol. If I had my rain fly for my hammock and my tarp set up, I don't know if I would have left.

I am not sure what a tent hammock actually is. If I had the rainfly, the hammock I have is all that is needed - no tent required. If I transition fully to hammock sleeping, I wouldn't even set up the tent. Just the changing shelter :D

Gravdigr 05-31-2018 03:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 1009364)
I am not sure what a tent hammock actually is.

Some calls 'em a jungle hammock:

Attachment 63905

Many styles, but ya get the gist of it.

Basically a hammock w/a roof.

ETA:

Attachment 63906

Attachment 63908

bbro 06-01-2018 10:42 AM

Mine looks more like the second one, but without the top half of the hammock. If you google eno hammock with rainfly, you'll see what I've got. I would upload pictures, but I am at work and they have that blocked :/

I think I would get claustrophobic in those. except the last one.

bbro 06-11-2018 12:53 PM

I've just made a new reservation for next weekend. It'll be only a one night stay, so I am trying to think of the best way to pack as little as needed. I may use this to try sleeping in a hammock. I won't be taking the grill or all the kitchen implements. I want to use the camping stove to cook/reheat all of the food. I'll still have a cooler, though, because I hope to be out in the area most of the day and the next day.

It's mainly so I can hit a beach park not far from where I am camping instead of leaving crazy early in the morning for a 4 hour trip. I'll need to take at least a beach chair. I may just use the one I take camping with me.

I hope it doesn't rain.....