The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Weird names (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22874)

Gravdigr 06-07-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 661296)
...I know a guy who goes by Putt (real name James).

Nicknames, I know a guy with the nickname "Tallywhacker". Even his mother calls him this. Knew a guy named Jerg.

Gravdigr 06-07-2010 03:42 PM

Oh, and a guy I know has these names in his family, all sisters, btw: Leota, Ioma, Lamonia.

Also four brothers whose names and nicknames run, from oldest to youngest: Mickey, Rickey, Dickie, & Goober.

Shawnee123 06-07-2010 03:44 PM

Lamonia! :lol2:

TheDaVinciChode 06-07-2010 03:50 PM

Masculine-turned-feminine names.

Yeah, we get it, you wanted a boy... get over it, already! :p:

Urbane Guerrilla 06-20-2010 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 660717)
I wanted to name our youngest "Qwerty" because it's easy to type.

I hope cooler heads prevailed.

Quote:

It's not just a cultural thing. Look at Bob Geldof's kids' names: Fifi Trixibelle , Peaches Honeyblossom Michelle Charlotte Angel Vanessa Geldof, and Little Pixie. And what's with all the trendy suburban non-name names like Hunter, Shelby, Dakota, Madison, Brooklyn, etc? Ok, so they are actual words, but they're no more a name than Linoleum is.
Mr. Geldof demonstrates how disadvantageous a disadvantageous given name can be.

I am waiting for the eventual manifestation of a little urban girl named -- Apostrophe. Even if her daddy goes around saying, "Yep, she was about that big when, etc."

"Homegrown country names," however pleasant the sounds strung together may be, do not suit my sense of the fitness of things. Every given name out there at least at one time actually meant something. Miscellaneous syllables do not.

Except maybe as and for Far Eastern car models. Being inanimate, they can't be hurt by it.

Shawnee123 06-20-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 664684)
Except maybe as and for Far Eastern car models. Being inanimate, they can't be hurt by it.

Like Harley.

Sundae 06-20-2010 08:47 AM

Not as weird as many mentioned, but I did know a lady called Desley.
Bless her, she had to spell her name and/ or tell the story of it every time she met someone new.

She once joked about wearing a badge which said "Yes, it is unusual"
Aha! A little internet research tells me it is popular in Australia - as a boy's name.
I always understood it to be a Welsh female name.

Names with similar statistics to Desley include Draco, Martian and Pakistan.
From here (Baby Name Guesser)

Pie 06-20-2010 08:56 AM

So someone looked me up on teh Internets. And found someone with the same name as me with a very different spouse. And was horribly shocked when they met my husband.

Hello?? There are a kazillion people with my name... in India. And my surname is common, too. And guess what? A whole bunch of Indians have broadband.

Just because you've never met someone else with my name...

Trilby 06-20-2010 09:16 AM

Yesterday on Wait-Wait-! Don't Tell Me! (radio show) a caller was named Patience Waite.

a-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

A woman who entered a pie baking contest on TV was called Rain Goettis (pronouced "Goddess") - I was instantly jealous and covet that awesome cool name. I don't know if she was born a Goettis or married into the tribe - either way, it's sooooo freakin' cool.

ZenGum 06-22-2010 06:45 AM

Shared an office with a guy surnamed Buckridge. Alas, when his parents divorced, his dad remarried a woman (with daughter) surnamed Buckeridge. Imagine trying to enroll one Buckridge (one E) and one Buckeridge (two Es) in anything. Tiresome.

Sheldonrs 06-22-2010 08:39 AM

President of my college - Seymor Hyman

Client at an old job - Delight Cox

Library patron at another old job - Ufuk

Another client at the same job as Ms. Cox - Lucky Wang

All real, named at birth names.

lumberjim 06-22-2010 10:13 AM

Buu Ea

pronounced boo- yah

booyah!

Gravdigr 06-22-2010 10:26 AM

O.M.G. I can't believe I forgot this guy. Herb Lord.

ETA: A few days ago I saw the name Wendy Beaver (Wendy is a Native American, btw). Now, in my neck of the woods, when we say 'Wendy', it comes out 'Windy'. I lol every time I say her name in my head: Windy Beaver.:lol2:

Gravdigr 06-22-2010 10:33 AM

FWIW: I've read that the name Wendy is recorded nowhere in history before the story about Peter Pan.

jinx 06-22-2010 10:35 AM

I had a friend named Windy. Also one named Stormy, although they didn't know each other...