The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I bawt a Tesla (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=35249)

Undertoad 11-01-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

In the 2nd quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.53 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.27 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.56 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.
"In the 3rd quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.59 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.42 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.79 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA's most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles."

Diaphone Jim 11-02-2020 10:52 AM

Driving a car is quite different from piloting an aircraft.
I think Tesla and other makers should call the devices "autodrivers."

Also, maybe you could find the accident stats for other cars of comparable price and the folks that drive them.
I think safe driving may not be as common among twenty year old drivers with twenty year old Chevys.

glatt 11-02-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim (Post 1061155)
Also, maybe you could find the accident stats for other cars of comparable price and the folks that drive them.
I think safe driving may not be as common among twenty year old drivers with twenty year old Chevys.

I think this is probably pretty representative of that particular group.
"For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.79 million miles driven"

Undertoad 11-02-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055534)
0-60 in 4.4 secs

4.2 secs, via the latest software update. Right now it's unclear whether they improved it, or whether they just changed the rating, after many testers found the 0-60 to be closer to 4.2 under real world conditions.

This means the $2000 "Acceleration Boost" upgrade now takes it to 3.7 seconds, if I ever have 2000 spare dollars just sitting around and I want to go really really really fast.

The "Full Self Driving" upgrade is now $10,000, after they released a new beta version which vastly improved the feature. When I first bought the car, this upgrade was $7,000.

Undertoad 11-02-2020 01:35 PM

The active safety features are pretty great tho

Quote:

Automatic Emergency Braking: Detects cars or obstacles that the car may impact and applies the brakes accordingly

Front Collision Warning: Warns of impending collisions with slower moving or stationary cars

Side Collision Warning: Warns of potential collisions with obstacles alongside the car

Obstacle Aware Acceleration: Automatically reduces acceleration when an obstacle is detected in front of your car while driving at low speeds

Blind Spot Monitoring: Warns when a car or obstacle is detected when changing lanes

Lane Departure Avoidance: Applies corrective steering to keep your car in the intended lane

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance: Steers your car back into the driving lane when it detects that your car is departing its lane and there could be a collision

Diaphone Jim 11-02-2020 06:57 PM

"...many testers found the 0-60 to be closer to 4.2 under real world conditions."
Not sure what those conditions might be.

Undertoad 11-02-2020 08:44 PM

i dunno just compared to estimates, people's actual track numbers