The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Sports (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   March Madness Approaches (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=2906)

Cam 02-27-2003 09:34 PM

March Madness Approaches

I'm getting antsy, I'm ready for a sporting event that actually means something to me. The NBA at this point is completely meaningless and well I've never gotten into College Hockey even though I go to school at UND. Bring on the upsets!!

elSicomoro 02-27-2003 09:53 PM

Many of my personal faves will probably make it: Missouri, Maryland, St. Josephs, Penn. And St. Louis is always a sleeper in the C-USA tournament, so I'm still holding out hope.

I want to see a really really bad team make it in on a conference tournament win, so let's root for North Carolina A&T (currently 0-23).

Cam 03-04-2003 05:58 PM

Fueled by the Labron James frenzy I'm sure this year the networks will have a tremendous amount of discussion on the high school to NBA trend that is becoming so prevalent with good players.
I used to be in the camp that said that all players should go to college but I've changed my mind over the last few years, mainly because of why I'm going to college. I'd like to say I'm going to college to become a better person and all that crap but in reality the reason I’m here is so I can make more money in the future.
If someone would have offered me a 2 million dollar a year contract for 3 to 4 years when I left high school to do something I loved I wouldn't have thought twice about going to work for them, so why should any high school athlete who can make that much think twice?

elSicomoro 03-04-2003 09:38 PM

I don't agree with the kids going to the NBA straight out of high school. They should have to go to college for at least 3 years. They're looking too much at the $$$, while not having the maturity to fully realize the impact of their decision. The only player I've seen in recent times that has seemed relatively mature coming straight out of high school is Kevin Garnett...and even he was a bit rough around the edges.

At the very least, there should be some sort of setup such as the minor leagues of baseball or the juniors in hockey. I'd let the college requirement go if something like that were in place in basketball and football.

warch 03-06-2003 03:06 PM

College atheletes should be students first. - Particularly if they are being paid to be.

Talented kid? I'm all for straight to the pros if thats what you choose, why not?! Right on! Why should sports be different from other forms of entertainment employment? Show me the $$.

There should be non-academic options for young atheletes interested in developing their sports skills, but not interested in higher education. It would save basketball,football, and to a lesser extent hockey programs a lot of time and money covering up reality.

This said, I think Joe Paterno rocks. If your talent can afford you the opportunity for free higher education and the structure to improve as an athelete, youre a fool not to make the most of both gifts.

dave 03-06-2003 03:13 PM

Sour fuckin' grapes, that's what I say. People that think they should go to college - why? Lots of people don't go to college. And if you've got a killer jump shot and a fierce dunk, why should you be forced to do something you don't want to do? Oh, it's because they make more in a year than you'll retire with.

elSicomoro 03-06-2003 04:27 PM

Absent of a juniors/minor league system, athletes should go to college for the same reason most people do--to learn, be it chemistry or athletics.

dave 03-06-2003 07:23 PM

College just isn't right for some people. No reason to force them to go.

Free will an' all.

Cam 03-06-2003 07:28 PM

Exactly, though college is great and the experience and friends are worth every penny I'm spending (the only way I keep sane is to keep repeating that mantra over and over again)

elSicomoro 03-06-2003 08:07 PM

Keep in mind that I'm only for athletes going to college first b/c there is a lack of a real minor league system in basketball and football. I don't care if they blow off the classes, quite frankly.

And I seriously doubt an athlete would have a problem with learning something that they really love--their respective sport.

Cam 03-06-2003 08:13 PM

Yeah we need a minor league system that works for both parties, I think that would solve most of the problems

Griff 03-20-2003 07:27 PM

At the risk of emphasizing my lack o NCAA smarts:

Final Four- Syracuse, Arizona, Weber St yer upset special, and Florida. SU to win.

two screw-ups as of right now... I had S. Illinois and NC State

elSicomoro 03-20-2003 07:40 PM

I'm glad Mizzou won, but I would have been happy with a Salukis win. Always have liked SIU...*proudly displays his SIU sweatshirt* I spent a lot of time in their library one October...and several weekends partying in Carbondale.

Weber State is currently hanging tough with Wisconsin.

(Griff, don't even try that whole low seed-final four deal. I tried that once...I had Wisc-Green Bay going to the final four. That was dumb.)

What's up with Creighton losing right now?

dave 03-21-2003 07:35 AM

Kentucky is hardcore gonna win it this year.

Remember, I called it last year too. :)

Cam 03-21-2003 09:29 AM

I've already missed more games then any previous year, including those where I was in school for a good portion of the day. With the war and staying with friends who despise basketball I'm getting depressed. And I missed the Kings Lakers Game last night. :(

Texas is my prediction for this year though I hate to say a 1 seed will win it all.