The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

Griff 02-18-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 853275)
Sometimes, I just really don't want to teach...

Y'know, one of those days when you just don't want to interact with other people to any great degree...when words seem to go missing from your vocabulary and everything feels like too much effort? When you feel a bit raggedy looking, hair won't do as it's told, skin unhealthy and generally a bit too self-conscious.

I'm not in the mood to teach a 1 1/2 hour seminar. I just want to go back to bed. Or play with Carrot.

I get this way but instead of fighting through an hour and a half, I have to grind through two 3 1/2 hour programs with an hour lunch/planning period between, all with humans. I keep thinking I'll acclimate...

orthodoc 02-18-2013 10:34 AM

Three midterms this week, two of them tomorrow. I need my memory back! Long-term memory and problem-solving are not an issue, so clinical work is fine. Putting hundreds of pages of notes and text into new memory and organizing the info so as to be able to write essay questions on midterms - not so good.

But on the upside, I'm not throwing up anymore. It's best to submit exams that are clean and dry. Professors prefer it.

Trilby 02-18-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 853310)
Three midterms this week, two of them tomorrow. I need my memory back! Long-term memory and problem-solving are not an issue, so clinical work is fine. Putting hundreds of pages of notes and text into new memory and organizing the info so as to be able to write essay questions on midterms - not so good.

But on the upside, I'm not throwing up anymore. It's best to submit exams that are clean and dry. Professors prefer it.

On the contrary---I see vomiting on exams as a bold, bloodless coupe for those of us who are sick and suffering AND managing school.

And most exams would be improved by a bit of vom anyway.

have at it, woman~!

footfootfoot 02-18-2013 11:34 AM

Does chemo destroy neural pathways or make your hippocampus lazy? What's the memory issue? Do things like fish oil and Gingko help? What about placebos? They are supposed to be very effective, maybe your doc can give you a scrip?

j/k
sorry about ur braincell, glad you're not feeling ill.

orthodoc 02-18-2013 12:12 PM

It's not quite clear how it does damage ... PET scans show major differences in brain function and location of activity during and after chemo. I suspect the brain has to be trained to use new pathways afterward. So forcing myself to keep at the academics is good, sort of intensive physiotherapy for the brain, but like most PT it's bloody uncomfortable. I'm definitely doing fish oil and other supplements. Hoping things come back. :(

Thanks for the good wishes.

footfootfoot 02-18-2013 01:21 PM

If you end up dumb there's always blonde hair color...

Pete Zicato 02-18-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 853275)
Sometimes, I just really don't want to teach...

Y'know, one of those days when you just don't want to interact with other people to any great degree...when words seem to go missing from your vocabulary and everything feels like too much effort? When you feel a bit raggedy looking, hair won't do as it's told, skin unhealthy and generally a bit too self-conscious.

I'm not in the mood to teach a 1 1/2 hour seminar. I just want to go back to bed. Or play with Carrot.

Make sure your vitamin levels are ok. Especially B12, D, and Potassium - they are major players in your energy level.

DanaC 02-18-2013 03:21 PM

Yeah...not smoking pot every day would probably also help ... and getting enough sleep...and yeah, better diet wouldn't go amiss:P

@ Tril: i think it's probably my normal too...but I only notice it when I have to interact with people at a deeper level than going to the shop. Fortunately, as it stands I only have to interact in a professional capacity a couple of days a week :p

@ Griff: 7 hours plus a lunch break with people ....*deep shudder*

Y'know, I think I am just incredibly lazy. I just really prefer to muck about at home with my dog and my interwebz. I never really fancy anything that isn't ,mucking about at home with my dog and my interwebz...even if I do end up enjoying myself when I have to...

DanaC 02-18-2013 03:23 PM

Oh and, as is often the case whenI am really not looking forward to a class, the lesson went quite well and fair zipped past.

Aliantha 02-18-2013 05:51 PM

I still have a cold. My voice is leaving me. :( (the kids are happy)

orthodoc 02-18-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 853329)
If you end up dumb there's always blonde hair color...

And if my brainpower comes roaring back and I end up twice as smart? What color then?

DanaC 02-18-2013 06:23 PM

Tchuh...Auburn.

orthodoc 02-18-2013 06:36 PM

;)

footfootfoot 02-18-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 853395)
Tchuh...Auburn.

Mais oui

Chocolatl 02-19-2013 08:11 AM

I think I lost a Q-tip bud in my left ear.

:(