The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Foreigners Talk Funny (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33292)

xoxoxoBruce 01-21-2018 01:54 PM

The Foreigners Talk Funny

Want a foreign vacation but don’t speak anything but English?
Well there’s Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, England, Scotland… NO, Wait, not Scotland. :headshake

limey 01-21-2018 02:05 PM

You may not be surprised to know that I’ve heard or used all of these except “air beige” and “pure Barry”. I shall try out these last two at the earliest opporchancity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DanaC 01-21-2018 02:06 PM

Quite a lot of this slang gets used in the North of England as well. Scran, bonnie , baccy, off your trolley, bevvy, rank.

... never heard Pure Barry before - I like that one.

Gravdigr 01-21-2018 04:22 PM

I wish we'd had some 'splanations for some of those.

Interesting stuff.

xoxoxoBruce 01-22-2018 10:03 AM

He 'splained them, but he was talkin' foreign so we don't know what he said. :haha:

Makes a lot more sense than the rhyming cockney shit, where A rhymes with B so you say M??????? :facepalm:

DanaC 01-22-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1002680)
Makes a lot more sense than the rhyming cockney shit, where A rhymes with B so you say M??????? :facepalm:

That's the best description of Cockney rhyming slang ever.

DanaC 01-22-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1002660)
I wish we'd had some 'splanations for some of those.

Interesting stuff.

What is it you want explained? What they mean, or how they came to mean it?

Gravdigr 01-22-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1002680)
He 'splained them, but he was talkin' foreign so we don't know what he said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 1002685)
What is it you want explained? What they mean, or how they came to mean it?

The why.

Example:

'Pure Barry', it was explained what it means, but not why it means fucking brilliant. Wtf? How did that come to be? Did some guy named Barry make some astounding observation and from then on his friends said anything that was brilliant was 'Pure Barry'? Do the Scots find Barack Obama particularly brilliant? Izzat where it originates?

I must know these things!!!!!

:p:

DanaC 01-22-2018 01:32 PM

Heheh. Yeah - that I cannot help you with I'm afraid.

DanaC 01-22-2018 01:37 PM

I though I'd try to be helpful and look it up -

Didn't really help....here's what the Time Out handy guide to some of the most useful everyday slang terms has to say:

Quote:

2. 'Barry'
Definition: Good
In a sentence: 'That poem about the changing seasons was well barry, pal.'

The opposite of shan. As simple as to remember how good and bad mean different things.
OK ...not terribly helpful in determining origin and in no sense helped by this next bit:

Quote:

7. 'Radge'
Definition: Suggestive of madness or insanity (cf. 'mental'). Can be used as noun or adjective.
In a sentence: 'Here comes that radge fae Morningside.' / 'Ma mum went pure radge when I got home.'

Is usually the counterpoint to 'barry' when referring to 'gadgies' - if someone is not a 'barry gadgie', they are more often than not a 'radge gadgie'.
At this point I should say, I haven't yet found a definition of gadgie.

[eta] apologies, there it is casually mentioned in the definition of another word. It's like 'guy'. That makes more sense now.

Gravdigr 01-22-2018 01:49 PM

I thank you, ma'am.[/hattip]

DanaC 01-22-2018 02:10 PM

I should add that, whereas the list on the vid has terms I am very familiar with, the Time Out list is purely Scottish slang - there's no crossover with northern england that I can see with that list - but maybe some of it exists in Newcastle - that place has one foot in Scotland and the other in England, culturally.

https://www.timeout.com/edinburgh/bl...gh-slang-terms

monster 01-22-2018 07:28 PM

We used Gadger or Gadgie for guy/bloke almost exclusively in Northumberland (North of Newcastle, South of Scotland)