The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Radio shows of note (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19216)

DanaC 01-11-2009 06:21 AM

Radio shows of note

Most of you regular dwellars are by now used to my (potentially quite annoying) habit of obsessing over and posting youtube clips of various tv comedy shows. This is perhaps most trying to those I encounter in Chat :P

So now in a break from the norm, I am concentrating on Radio. I love listening to BBC Radio 4 and the World Service; they're the only stations I listen to regularly, by which I mean every day. Contrary to appearances thus far, I actually listen to as much, if not more, radio than I watch tv.

So, to share a little glimpse of my week in radio, here's a clip of Just a Minute, a R4 panel game show, wherein comedians and showbiz types compete. One person starts the round and is given a subject to talk about. They have to try to talk for one minute without repetition, hesitation or deviation. If they falter, one o fthe other panelists can buzz in and catch the topic (if its a correct challenge) and then they have to try and talk for the remaining time.

I adore this show. I love the host, Nicholas Parsons. I used to hate him, years ago, but then he did a corporate for the company I was working at and he was completely wonderful. Such a nice and gentle man. Very witty. I also love Paul Merton, who's a regular on the show. He's a brilliant comedian, used to do a lot of tv in the 90s. He's since evolved into the beginnings of a National Treasure, along the lines of Palin or Fry.

Anyway. Want to know how my Sunday lunchtimes sound? Listen to this:

And next a question: what plays on your radio?

DanaC 01-11-2009 06:30 AM

Oh. Forgot to say, check out in the menu "How to hand in your resignation" Sadly, Linda Smith, one of the contestants, and one of our best female comedians died a couple of years ago.

skysidhe 01-11-2009 08:57 AM

I've heard an interesting health topic once on BBC radio but I am not quite sure how to navigate the large menu selection. Maybe I am just lazy. If you have any tips let me know.

My radio show of note:
Jim Rome

A couple times I have caught this show on the car radio. A very funny guy.

Griff 01-11-2009 09:08 AM

Jim Rome is somebody I just don't get. My bro-in-law is a big booster, but I find him more negative than anything else. I guess its because I look at sports as entertainment rather than a social barometer. :shrug:

skysidhe 01-11-2009 09:29 AM

Maybe I have the name wrong then because all I heard was positive things about players.

He is making fun of info-mercials. I've never heard him make fun of a player or person.

Griff 01-11-2009 09:33 AM

It could be I formed an impression and never gave him a chance after that.

skysidhe 01-11-2009 09:36 AM

Maybe were both just too newbie to really know which side he is on.

HungLikeJesus 01-11-2009 11:41 AM

I don't listen to the radio, but I've been listening to old podcasts of The Naked Scientists, which, I think, is from the BBC. I'm trying to get caught up, but I'm still about a year behind.

TheMercenary 01-11-2009 02:01 PM

I'm an NPR junkie. I admit it. Morning and Eve, weekends too. We use to get the BBC and it was my fav part of the night, now I have to use my shortwave to get it so I hardly hear it anymore.

Sundae 01-12-2009 01:54 PM

Radio Active.
But that's cheating because it was when I was in my teens and had near enough a cult following (in my English and Drama classes at least).
Geoffrey Perkins RIP as ever.

On the Town With the League of Gentlemen, natch.

Just a Minute (did you not warm to the Parsons in Mr Jolly Lives Next Door, Dani?)
I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue

oh crikey... there's quite a few on Radio 4 I enjoy - I just don't set aside time to listen to them. I really should, I much prefer radio to television!

lookout123 01-12-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 521058)
He's since evolved into the beginnings of a National Treasure, along the lines of Palin or Fry.

Huh, I'd have never pegged you as a Sarah Baracuda fan.

Griff, I don't get the Rome thing either. He is a punk ass mouth who belongs on some backwater right wing radio show. Admittedly, I don't like what he has to say about soccer, but still.

DanaC 01-12-2009 04:40 PM

@ Sundae, I did, but I came to that late.