The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Vote the Recumbents out! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23604)

Shawnee123 09-22-2010 08:44 AM

Vote the Recumbents out!

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23598&page=2

casimendocina 09-23-2010 07:23 AM

Went through a phase when I really wanted a recumbent-all the cool people (or at least people who had loads of money and nothing better to spend it on) in the bike club seemed to have one. They make cycling look so relaxing.

Shawnee123 09-23-2010 07:30 AM

Have you ever tried one? I'd like to try one out to see what it's like. I saw a couple on the bike path who had them, looked kind of fun.

casimendocina 09-23-2010 07:37 AM

No, unfortunately, would love to though. I'd specially like to see how much more difficult or easier it is to get up hills on one.

Shawnee123 09-23-2010 07:49 AM

I was wondering the same thing. :)

monster 09-23-2010 08:53 AM

doesn't appeal to me at all. I hate to recline when sitting, that would be awful. and so low to the ground.

Urbane Guerrilla 09-23-2010 10:36 AM

I've never seen one of those things produce a real turn of speed. The go-fast boys all seem to stay feet low and butts high.

sexobon 09-24-2010 01:42 AM

Those bicycles are great on the straightaway 'cause you can give your girlfriend a ride on the handlebars, have her peddle, and watch her butt wiggle while you lean back, rest your feet on the ends of the front axle, and smile.

Juniper 09-24-2010 02:09 AM

That was one of my 9th grade daughter's vocabulary words this week. Recumbent. Just thought I'd tell you. :)

I explained the definition to her by telling her about the bikes, but she claimed never to have seen one (damn, she's blonde . . . bikes are pretty big stuff here and I've seen plenty). LOL!!!

ZenGum 09-24-2010 03:23 AM

They look hard to handle and would be extra dangerous trying to ride on the road ... can you imagine? I've also heard it is not good to have your heart (or was it head?) so low relative to your legs when exercising due to risk of blowing a gasket.

Griff 09-24-2010 05:45 AM

My FiL rides one, he is a bit of a kook though. :) They don't climb well and are less stable at low speeds than traditional bikes. [imho] They are easy on the back though which is why most folks make the switch. I've ridden them but I don't like being that low in traffic.

gvidas 09-24-2010 11:55 AM

They're great for your knees, back, and butt. The hill issue can be solved with patience and good gearing, and you make it up on the downhill (much more aerodynamic). Recumbent advocates like to point out that they're banned from the Tour de France because on average they are faster and more efficient.

I've not ridden one much, but a lot of people around here are dedicated converts. I can't speak to the commuting/visibility issue, except to note that it's not as though you're super visible on a normal bike.

Personally, I like to ride cheaper beater bikes, and do stupider things; at the same time, I'm young enough that my knees, back, and butt can take it.

glatt 09-24-2010 11:59 AM

I saw a weird recumbent yesterday. It was propelled by a rowing machine with a sliding seat. The rider pulled on the handlebars to somehow turn a gear that moved the chain. After it passed me, I overheard a pedestrian coming from the other direction saying to his friend "..dumbest bike I've ever seen..." I couldn't disagree with him. It looked very inefficient. The rider was working very hard and not going fast at all.

Shawnee123 09-24-2010 12:07 PM

Yeah, I'm with most of you on these. I don't like being all laid back and bunched up just sitting around (when I go to my friend's house and we're hanging around the old kitchen table turned beer/cards/dice/ashtry table, they always go get me the computer chair because it's the only one that sits high and straight enough for me (and on which I can tuck my left leg under me per usual.)

Do you work different muscles though? Seems like it would give your stomach muscles some work.

Lamplighter 09-24-2010 12:34 PM

Glatt - maybe built for a paraplegic ?