The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Wanted: Appliance / household wiring experts (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34121)

Glinda 03-03-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1027259)
Oh yeah, that would be a pain in the ass. I don't have that problem, the glass plate is 18" in diameter and has a lip to stop anything that does boil over. I only have spatters on the walls/ceiling/door from not covering stuff I reheat.:blush:

Paper towels and paper plates are your friends. :p:

Glinda 03-03-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1027261)
Mine just has a tiny little three-petaled--thing--that the big ol' plate kinda sets on, no wheels.

Now that I'm looking at modern microwaves more closely, I see that fewer and fewer models have the spinning tripod mechanism that the old man's microwave had. Probably because they're a goddamned PITA to clean. :D

xoxoxoBruce 03-03-2019 12:42 PM

I forget once so after that why bother I got to clean it now anyway.
Then I'm putting something in when suddenly I have to pee NOW.
So it's either forget the covering or have to start it and wait when I get back.
The one thing I excel at is thinking up excuses for my sloth. :haha:

Glinda 03-03-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1027266)
I forget once so after that why bother I got to clean it now anyway.
Then I'm putting something in when suddenly I have to pee NOW.
So it's either forget the covering or have to start it and wait when I get back.
The one thing I excel at is thinking up excuses for my sloth. :haha:

Yeah. I'm pretty good at that, too. It's why I have a compromised 50-year-old microwave that I really don't want to get rid of. :rolleyes:

sexobon 03-03-2019 12:55 PM

Buy a leash. Put the leash on the cat and tie the end to the microwave cord at the plug. If the microwave starts spontaneously, it'll scare the cat which will take off running and yank the plug out of the outlet. Reward the cat with a go at the garbage can.

Glinda 03-03-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1027274)
Buy a leash. Put the leash on the cat and tie the end to the microwave cord at the plug. If the microwave starts spontaneously, it'll scare the cat which will take off running and yank the plug out of the outlet. Reward the cat with a go at the garbage can.

:lol: I like it!

Glinda 03-03-2019 01:24 PM

So I'm searching around the intarweebs for the off-chance possibility that there is a modern microwave oven that doesn't require turning food over repeatedly while defrosting, and came across this:

https://i.imgur.com/DOqnbiW.jpg

Since when is it ok to use aluminum foil in a microwave?!?

BigV 03-03-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1027153)

Word.

sexobon 03-03-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1027278)
… Since when is it ok to use aluminum foil in a microwave?!?

The aluminum foil is applied right after the defrost cycle ends. Then comes the standing time in foil.

How does one get a -10 min.'lb. [10 min./lb.] standing time? Looks like they could've used a proofreader.

Undertoad 03-03-2019 02:39 PM

The way to defrost in a microwave is at low power, I been told.

What happens is, the first little SPOT of food that defrosts now contains water, instead of ice. Microwaves work by heating water, but they don't work so well on ice; so they are now super-heating that one spot of water. Result in burger meat, one area is entirely cooked, while the rest is frozen solid. People think it's hotspots in their oven, but it's just how this works.

Answer, go low power; that way when one section melts and heats up, it gets a chance to spread that heat out more. Turn the food over (or stir) so that the hot spots get to spread heat to different places.

Glinda 03-03-2019 04:26 PM

My research reveals that there are a few microwaves that will allow you to defrost food by weight or by a selected time. Unfortunately, they're all pretty small and don't have the best reviews.

I think I've settled on the Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN936B Black Countertop with Inverter Technology and Genius Sensor, 2.2 Cu. Ft, 1250W. It has a ton of outstanding reviews and I can get it $30 cheaper from Office Depot. DEAL!

It has a turntable (on a stupid wheelie tripod thing like the old man had), but since I'm not an old man with palsy, I predict it won't get that dirty and I won't have to clean it nearly as often.

It's also got a turbo defrost option (faster and more even thawing) and will defrost foods of one to two pounds without having to fiddle with it.

Happy dance!

sexobon 03-03-2019 04:46 PM

The description says it has a 16-1/2" turntable. Mine has a 16" turntable and it extends 3-1/4" beyond the tripod. You shouldn't have any problems with the tripod staying clean unless you have a catastrophic disaster in there.

Undertoad 03-03-2019 05:03 PM

On a dying planet is it wrong to throw away a microwave because it's just been abused so long that you can't tell if it's clean?

Gravdigr 03-03-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Inverter technology
Stop making me learn stuff!:bitching:

sexobon 03-03-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1027290)
On a dying planet is it wrong to throw away a microwave because it's just been abused so long that you can't tell if it's clean?

No matter how long it's been abused, you should try to find out if it's clean or stolen before you chance throwing away somebody else's property. C'mon now, you've worked in a pawn shop. :eyebrow: