The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

skysidhe 07-18-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 671185)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I don't think the actress played Salander quite right. She came off more crazy than I imagined her.

I tried to watch it streaming and kept falling asleep. Probably not so much a reflection on the movie but my exhaustion level. I didn't like the dark mood nor the fact for a movie it is impossible to put in all of the tiny details even though the movie was very long. I felt like the story was in fast forward. I shut it off without watching it. I agree wolf, I thought the character in the book is much more together. I am wondering what the American version of this movie will be like.

wolf 07-18-2010 04:02 PM

Pretty much the same, but without the Øs. And they'll cast someone way too handsome to be Blomqvist, and someone way too expressive to be Salander.

I don't think they should make an "American" version. Seems pointless. Kind of like making an American version of The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe. Oh, wait. They did. And it sucked.

wolf 07-18-2010 04:28 PM

Der Fuehrer

A German comedy about Hitler. Has some very funny bits, especially the guy who won't do anything without the proper paperwork.

glatt 07-19-2010 08:56 AM

We've been watching episodes of Life on DVD. I had never heard of it, but it's a cop show that was on a few years back, on NBC. It's surprisingly good. At least the first 8 episodes are good. They made it through 2 seasons before getting canceled. The twist to this cop show is that the main character was wrongly convicted of murder and served like 15 years before his lawyer was able to get him out. And now he's got his old job as a cop back. So they do a new mystery each episode, while as an ongoing side story, this guy tries to figure out who did the murder he got framed for.

It's better than most cop shows.

bbro 07-19-2010 09:38 AM

Valentine's Day - meh. Almost completely predictable
The Book of Eli - I thought it was boring.
Boondock Saints - LOVED IT!

Hot Tub Time Machine - watching tonight

Going through the Criminal Minds seasons.

Pooka 07-21-2010 09:36 PM

Let the Right One In

This film was breathtaking. It is a foreign, comming of age, vampire love story... and believe me that discription should not discourage you... it was beautiful.

zippyt 07-21-2010 09:48 PM

we have seen Xmen origins Wolverine , good flick , watched it twice

Watchmen , Dark and weird , oh and LOOOOONG !!!!

Oh and Glatt , wait for the Russian solution

wolf 07-25-2010 12:59 PM

Hopscotch

Went to a friend's house last night and she wanted to watch a movie. It's one of her favorites, and I hadn't seen it. Now I'm glad I did.

Pico and ME 07-25-2010 01:04 PM

We have been catching up on Deadwood through Netflix and We Lcve It!! We are on the 2nd season now. Its slow going because I only rent one movie at a time. I get all depressed when the dvd is over.

Pico and ME 07-25-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 672570)
Hopscotch

Went to a friend's house last night and she wanted to watch a movie. It's one of her favorites, and I hadn't seen it. Now I'm glad I did.

You've been catching up on a few Walter Matthau movies lately!

glatt 07-26-2010 08:51 AM

Saw The Runaways over the weekend. I enjoyed it, even though I didn't know any of their music. It wasn't until Joan Jett went solo that she popped up on my radar. Interesting movie. The actresses do a good job.

Gravdigr 07-27-2010 02:30 AM

Just watched 'Cold Storage'.

Tennessee is not represented well.

squirell nutkin 07-27-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysidhe (Post 664792)
Could not have been more strange than 'Wings of Desire'

I didn't dislike it. It was outside of the category of 'pat' to be judged by a like or a not like vote.

If you didn't see Wings of Desire in a theater, then you didn't see Wings of Desire. The lighting in that movie was masterful. One of the top ten of all time for lighting. I know that would not translate on a tv screen or computer monitor.

The story, like most of Wender's work, is unusual.

squirell nutkin 07-27-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 671248)
Pretty much the same, but without the Øs. And they'll cast someone way too handsome to be Blomqvist, and someone way too expressive to be Salander.

I don't think they should make an "American" version. Seems pointless. Kind of like making an American version of The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe. Oh, wait. They did. And it sucked.

Don't forget how much La Femme Nikita in American sucked, almost as much as the feel-good ending of the American "The Vanishing."

skysidhe 07-31-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirell nutkin (Post 673123)
If you didn't see Wings of Desire in a theater, then you didn't see Wings of Desire. The lighting in that movie was masterful. One of the top ten of all time for lighting. I know that would not translate on a tv screen or computer monitor.

The story, like most of Wender's work, is unusual.

I did not see it in the theater but I did watch it for the craft.