The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's scorching your groove today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18360)

squirell nutkin 06-07-2010 02:00 PM

Apropos of nothing:

Pee pee dider

Clodfobble 06-07-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato
Well it certainly wasn't Z daughter #1's experience. She went through fastweb and a number of other sites. Submitted to dozens of scholarships and came up with nada. She was #10 in her class of 970 something. She did very well on her ACT scores. I dunno.

To be honest, the grades often mean next to nothing; it's all about the test scores. The valedictorian in Bumblefuck, Texas would barely be in the top third of my high school class in a large educated city, you know? Not saying this was the situation with Zlet #1, just that nobody looks at grades anymore unless it's an odd mismatch, like someone with a perfect SAT score but barely passing senior year. Especially with grade inflation so rampant--our valedictorian graduated with higher than a 4.0 because of the way my school weighted honors classes.

HungLikeJesus 06-07-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirell nutkin (Post 661329)
Apropos of nothing:

Pee pee dider

Yours, or someone else's?

Shawnee123 06-07-2010 04:14 PM

Pete, there are some tips on that page about applying for 'ships.

I was scholarship chair at my last job: I can tell you that we graded on three things: essay, extra-curriculars (not just sports) or outside job or public service (volunteering), and letters of recommendation. Each category is 25 points (and each app is read by at least 3 people, and scores averaged) and the HS GPA is given points (4.0 = 25 pts, 3.9 = 24, etc.)

Of course, in final consideration for each school-administered scholarship (some outside donors letting us administer the funds) GPA will weigh much more heavily when the donor stresses academic achievement.

I've worked on other scholarship committees (such as The Dayton Foundation) and they are run similarly.

Hope this helps!

Pete Zicato 06-07-2010 04:32 PM

Thanks Shawnee. I passed it on to the zlets.

squirell nutkin 06-07-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 661352)
Yours, or someone else's?

farto

TheMercenary 06-07-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 659369)
caulk!

.22 cal Ruger!

zippyt 06-10-2010 08:55 PM

Last nite our 42" plasma went Plaid , then Went "POIT !!!" and turned off ,
And wont come on now !!!!!

xoxoxoBruce 06-10-2010 11:13 PM

POIT? Ah man, that sucks.:(

zippyt 06-10-2010 11:31 PM

Yeah man , and it apears to be it werks or it dont ( throw away )
Dell stocks NO parts , and haz NO support after the warranty runs out ,
Ye Haw Here we go to Sams AGAIN !!!!

classicman 06-11-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 662262)
Last nite our 42" plasma went Plaid

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 662298)
Ye Haw Here we go to Sams AGAIN !!!!

Sounds like a 60" is in order :cool:

LJ 06-11-2010 01:45 PM

Traffic!

jinx 06-11-2010 02:04 PM

You're missing good pool weather.

glatt 06-11-2010 04:42 PM

I just got home from work, and the whole family's at the pool. *jealous*

monster 06-11-2010 06:27 PM

we're heading to the pool soon. just to scorch your groove a little more :D

squirell nutkin 06-12-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 662459)

*envious* [/lexical nazi]

Clodfobble 06-12-2010 06:57 PM

You get home at 5:45 in the afternoon? *jealous of your wife*

glatt 06-14-2010 08:21 AM

Yeah, it's nice. I work from 8 to 4:30 and am usually home around 5:15 to 5:30.

Pie 06-14-2010 08:44 AM

I usually work till 5:30. I get home by 5:40. I love my commute!

(Just to continue the groove scorchin'.)

squirell nutkin 06-14-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 662672)
You get home at 5:45 in the afternoon? *jealous of your wife*

From Wikipedia:
"Envy" and "jealousy" are often used interchangeably, but in correct usage, they stand for two different distinct emotions. In proper usage, jealousy is the fear of losing something that one possesses to another person (a loved one in the prototypical form), while envy is the pain or frustration caused by another person having something that one does not have oneself. Envy typically involves two people, and jealousy typically involves three people. It is possible to be envious at more than one individual at any given time. Usually envy involves wanting the beauty of another individual, wealth, or socioeconomic status. Envy and jealousy result from different situations and are distinct emotional experiences. Both envy and jealousy are etymologically related to schadenfreude, the rejoicing at, or taking joy in, or getting pleasure from the misfortunes of others

Is there something between you and Glatt that I missed? :blush:

xoxoxoBruce 06-14-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 662459)

Fuck the grammar nazis, you and I know what you meant.

HungLikeJesus 06-14-2010 10:38 PM

sn's post reminded me of this:

Susanna: I'm ambivalent. In fact that's my new favorite word.
Dr. Wick: Do you know what that means, ambivalence?
Susanna: I don't care.
Dr. Wick: If it's your favorite word, I would've thought you would...
Susanna: It *means* I don't care. That's what it means.
Dr. Wick: On the contrary, Susanna. Ambivalence suggests strong feelings... in opposition. The prefix, as in "ambidextrous," means "both." The rest of it, in Latin, means "vigor." The word suggests that you are torn... between two opposing courses of action.

Can anybody name that movie?

glatt 06-15-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 663122)

Yes and yes. But also, I'm interested in the difference between the two words. I think I never knew exactly what "jealous" meant. I certainly knew of its usage when describing certain social situations, but I thought it could also be used the way I used it. I expect I will use it correctly more often now.

Trilby 06-15-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 663126)
sn's post reminded me of this:

Susanna: I'm ambivalent. In fact that's my new favorite word.
Dr. Wick: Do you know what that means, ambivalence?
Susanna: I don't care.
Dr. Wick: If it's your favorite word, I would've thought you would...
Susanna: It *means* I don't care. That's what it means.
Dr. Wick: On the contrary, Susanna. Ambivalence suggests strong feelings... in opposition. The prefix, as in "ambidextrous," means "both." The rest of it, in Latin, means "vigor." The word suggests that you are torn... between two opposing courses of action.

Can anybody name that movie?

Debbie Does Dallas?

squirell nutkin 06-15-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 663122)

Ahhh, yer jus jealous!
:p:

Trilby 06-15-2010 12:30 PM

aw! Touchdown Jesus burned to the ground last night!!

Touchdown Jesus was a horrid statue on I-75 in Monroe, Ohio. Last night a huge storm with lots of lightning blew in - lightning struck the statue - and it's bye bye Jesus.

(I wish I knew how to post a link....it's on youtube --- just type in touchdown jesus burns down)

Spexxvet 06-15-2010 12:32 PM

THE LORD HAS SPOKEN

Trilby 06-15-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 663242)
THE LORD HAS SPOKEN

Zeus - 1

Jesus - 0

monster 06-15-2010 12:37 PM

Just copy the numbers from the youtube url, hit the youtube button up there ^^^^ then paste the numbers -it's all set up to put them in the right place.

or to just do a straight link and not embed, type in the url like this:

http://www.cellar.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=270

and Teh Magikal Cellar will do the rest

The url is the page address that appears in a bar usually found somewhere at the top of your window.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 663241)
aw! Touchdown Jesus burned to the ground last night!!

Touchdown Jesus was a horrid statue on I-75 in Monroe, Ohio. Last night a huge storm with lots of lightning blew in - lightning struck the statue - and it's bye bye Jesus.

(I wish I knew how to post a link....it's on youtube --- just type in touchdown jesus burns down)

Undertoad 06-15-2010 12:43 PM

If this thing is back in place three days from now, I'll convert.

monster 06-15-2010 12:47 PM

:lol: almost tempted to go a help rebuild it, that would be so funny -not you converting so much as it's being resurrected on the third day.

lookout123 06-15-2010 01:34 PM

Has anyone else noticed that only 4 or 5 people participate in current events or political threads anymore? Or that everything past the first page could just be copied and pasted from the thread below it? Or that while the cellar used to have some heated discussions we usually just skip the discussion part now?

Pete Zicato 06-15-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 663259)
Has anyone else noticed that only 4 or 5 people participate in current events or political threads anymore? Or that everything past the first page could just be copied and pasted from the thread below it? Or that while the cellar used to have some heated discussions we usually just skip the discussion part now?

Yes.

Spexxvet 06-15-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 663249)

Doubting Toad. :p:

Trilby 06-15-2010 01:54 PM

Thanks, monnie!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 663249)

Don't count it out - there's loads of "undocumented" workers in these parts, all hopped up on meth and Jaysus.

Redux 06-15-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

I noticed that when you made a smart ass remark about me "thinking of a different Arizona" when I noted that it was majority White...and I then provided data that it fact it is majority White...you ran away. ;)

Spexxvet 06-15-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Thank you for saying "we".:beer:

classicman 06-15-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 663260)
Yes.

Yes, yes and yes. I will again try to do my part not to interact in a way that is not conducive to productive communication.
I am utilizing the ignore feature and I will either end up interacting with a few or none. Either way its a win-win.

monster 06-15-2010 03:15 PM

http://www.ohio-share.coxnewsweb.com...10_709984l.jpg

Matthew 3:17

And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased, he has fattened up nicely. Pass the BBQ sauce, please."

Redux 06-15-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 663278)
Yes, yes and yes. I will again try to do my part not to interact in a way that is not conducive to productive communication.
I am utilizing the ignore feature and I will either end up interacting with a few or none. Either way its a win-win.

You do that.

And when you make an ill-informed post based on a partisan opinion piece that grossly misrepresents the facts, whether in politics, current events or even home base, for example:

Link

I will respectfully point it out.

Of course, you would never acknowledge your own ill-informed post, so ignoring me is no different.

monster 06-15-2010 04:17 PM

OFFS can't you lot at least keep that crap in those two forums alone? how can two forums not be enough? That's why no-one else goes there. If you can't post anything other than that argumentative pointless drivel, then stay out of the rest of the goddamn board. You're all as bad as each other and WE DON"T CARE WHO STARTED IT, GO TO YOUR ROOMS UNTIL YOU CAN BEHAVE LIKE NORMAL HUMAN BEINGS AND STAY OFF MY LAWN.

Pie 06-15-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 663302)
WE DON"T CARE WHO STARTED IT, GO TO YOUR ROOMS UNTIL YOU CAN BEHAVE LIKE NORMAL HUMAN BEINGS AND STAY OFF MY LAWN.

Quoted for truth.

STUFU and GTFO. Go back where you belong! :right:

Redux 06-15-2010 04:26 PM

When lookout or classic take shots, especially when they get all sanctimonious and holier than me, I will respond.

Wherever and whenever.

Trilby 06-15-2010 04:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq01UYiMyHg

YAY!

lookout123 06-15-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 663266)
I noticed that when you made a smart ass remark about me "thinking of a different Arizona" when I noted that it was majority White...and I then provided data that it fact it is majority White...you ran away. ;)

:facepalm:

I'll address this mischaracterization in the other thread and then I'm done with it. You've obviously missed the point of my initial post in this thread.

lookout123 06-15-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 663302)
OFFS can't you lot at least keep that crap in those two forums alone? how can two forums not be enough? That's why no-one else goes there. If you can't post anything other than that argumentative pointless drivel, then stay out of the rest of the goddamn board. You're all as bad as each other and WE DON"T CARE WHO STARTED IT, GO TO YOUR ROOMS UNTIL YOU CAN BEHAVE LIKE NORMAL HUMAN BEINGS AND STAY OFF MY LAWN.

er, that was kind of the point of my post. The idea that the cellar has effectively written off two forums because a handful of people of pissing on eachother have chased everyone away from any topic with meat on it is/was scorching my groove today. the fact that the piss overflowed into here hardly leaves me any less scorched.

monster 06-15-2010 07:43 PM

Just stop already. If you weren't an offender you became one by bringing that shit here. If you don't like the rep you have, -whether deserved or not- work to change it

lookout123 06-15-2010 08:37 PM

my rep? fuck off. I posted what was on my mind at the time which appropriately enough belonged in this thread.

squirell nutkin 06-16-2010 11:32 AM

At what point does the kind of boorish behavior that drives everyone away from a forum constitute being "intolerably annoying"?

Many have commented on the "signal to noise" ratio dropping to intolerable levels.

jinx 06-16-2010 11:54 AM

Yeah, used to be lots of posts at night... now there's like 1 an hour. After the assholes shit the place up all day there's nothing good to talk about...
Fucking assholes.

DanaC 06-16-2010 12:06 PM

Fucking tennis elbow!

My arm is all hurty :(

And, yeah, I sort of avoid the meatier topics nowadays too. They just end up going round in fucking circles. I get like half a page into the thread and my eyes glaze over.

Redux 06-16-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 663576)
Yeah, used to be lots of posts at night... now there's like 1 an hour. After the assholes shit the place up all day there's nothing good to talk about...
Fucking assholes.

Aw...the queen bee is in a snit.

I rarely step out of current events or politics unless someone takes a shot at me....and because of that, there is nothing good to talk about at night? WTF.

Just put me (or all of us) on ignore and have at your stimulating discussions. Its no sweat off my ass. But, you take a shot at me and you'll hear from me.

This holier than thou crap, especially from you and lookout and classicman, is laughable.

added:
BTW, your whining is scorching my groove, the subject of the thread. :)

DanaC 06-16-2010 04:05 PM

Ffs.

Griff 06-16-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 663634)
Ffs.

For fucks sake, bring your gamers over so I can learn some acronyms.

LJ 06-16-2010 04:30 PM

1 month time outs for the offenders might be very illuminating.

squirell nutkin 06-16-2010 05:11 PM

The groove is in the heart.

DanaC 06-16-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 663637)
For fucks sake, bring your gamers over so I can learn some acronyms.

Yehman. uz gamerz are masters of the 3 letter response.

Ftw.

Griff 06-16-2010 06:45 PM

:)

glatt 06-16-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirell nutkin (Post 663651)
The groove is in the heart.

I hadn't heard that in years, so I watched it on YouTube. I think it's my son's new favorite. He was dancing all over the house to it.

DanaC 06-16-2010 07:17 PM

God I used to love that track!