The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   A Game of Thrones (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23913)

Happy Monkey 04-15-2013 11:24 AM

No spoilers, but in last night's episode they explained why that birth-power doesn't just end the game of thrones on its own.

footfootfoot 04-15-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 860818)
No spoilers, but in last night's episode they explained why that birth-power doesn't just end the game of thrones on its own.

Nowhere near up to date, but I'd think the white walkers, dragons, that weird ghosty thing that leapt out of fire girl's quim, and a bunch of other stuff would need to be sorted out before the game of thrones was over. Sort of like Jumanji.

Happy Monkey 04-15-2013 11:55 AM

Yes, but the walkers and dragons aren't there yet, and absent further explanation, you'd think the ghosty thing could take out all of Stannis' local competition in short order.

footfootfoot 04-18-2013 06:26 PM

I'm all up to speed with Go'T.

Can't wait for Joffrey to get a sword in his neck. I hope the kid is actually a very good actor and not just a prick being himself in front of the camera. Jaqen was the coolest character in the show so far. Who would have guessed that Jaime Lannister was actually Luke Skywalker's father?

Clodfobble 04-18-2013 06:41 PM

Well color me surprised: that "kid" is actually 20 years old, and when he's done with Game of Thrones he intends to leave acting and pursue an academic career.

footfootfoot 04-18-2013 08:18 PM

Wow. And he's supposed to be very nice.

Here's a funny anecdote about Rose Leslie (Ygritte):
Quote:

The only annoying part of the whole business, she says, is that fans tend to be disappointed by her delivery. “I use a different voice — I put on an accent on the show — so when I say ‘You know nothing, Jon Snow’ in my own voice you get a furrowed brow from fans and they’re like, ‘That doesn’t sound like Ygritte.’ And then I got to go into [her character's] accent and do it and it’s a really long boring process for the fan and I’m sure they walk away wishing they hadn’t asked me because it’s such a kerfuffle.”
There was one time, however, where the catchphrase was used in real life rather awesomely.
Leslie was in Northern Ireland, one of the five countries where the upcoming season of Thrones was shot. She was sitting in a restaurant with a friend, and having a tough time deciding what to order. “And I said to the waitress, ‘I don’t know what I’m going to go for,’ and the waitress jumped in with the line. It was very funny; it was perfect timing. I gave her a high five.”
Leslie considers. “Actually, I wanted to give her a high five, but it would have been incredibly lame if I did.”

jimhelm 04-18-2013 08:46 PM

In tbe audio book, the guy that captures jamie and brienne has a speech impedement owing to his lack of a nose.

xoxoxoBruce 04-23-2013 10:14 AM

How they did special effects. Caution Spoilers.

Lamplighter 04-23-2013 11:20 AM

I'm becoming more and more cynical about pic's and videos...

I've started questioning whether every given pic is untouched.
The trouble with becoming so cynical is there are fewer and few "WOW !" moments.

Remember the first Star Wars movie, everyone was so impressed.
Now the professionally produced stuff is Ho Hm.
We watched Django Unleased last night... just another video game.

No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus... just Adobe PhotoShop

jimhelm 04-23-2013 12:50 PM

But have you played a high end video game lately?

Lamplighter 04-23-2013 01:16 PM

After reaching a peak with Tetris, I got bored :rolleyes:

jimhelm 04-23-2013 02:25 PM

I'm working through FarCry3 right now. It is like being in an action movie.

xoxoxoBruce 04-23-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 862178)
I'm becoming more and more cynical about pic's and videos...

I've started questioning whether every given pic is untouched.
The trouble with becoming so cynical is there are fewer and few "WOW !" moments.

Remember the first Star Wars movie, everyone was so impressed.
Now the professionally produced stuff is Ho Hm.
We watched Django Unleased last night... just another video game.

No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus... just Adobe PhotoShop

But so what?
When I watch a movie I want them to present the story, which includes the actors dialog, body language, and action, as best they can. I really don't care if it was the actor, a stunt double, or special effects, that got the character from point A to point B. The fact that he got from A to B is the story line, and they conveyed that.

Sure, it's obvious the $50 million star didn't jump off the cliff, through the flames, into the shark infested waters, but the story character did, and that's the goal... telling the story. I didn't care that Jessica Rabbit wasn't real, she was hot, and told her part of the story.

It seems every movie coming out has a youtube video compiling "mistakes", put together by some nitpicker(s) who watched it frame by frame trying to find any little gotcha. What shallow lives they must lead, after completely losing the magic of the movies. :rolleyes:

footfootfoot 04-29-2013 11:13 PM

My children. You've disgraced the Lannister name for far too long.

xoxoxoBruce 05-02-2013 11:26 AM