The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What are You Watching on Netflix Instant/Amazon Prime/orwhateverotherinstreaming (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27934)

Gravdigr 08-21-2015 01:47 PM

I watched episode 1 of the old tv series "Movin On" (on Hulu, btw) with Claude Akins yesterday. Good stuff. Ep. 1 had one of my favorite bit-part actors, Michael Pollard.

Clodfobble 08-21-2015 09:14 PM

"Seeking a Friend for the End of the World."

Steve Carell, Keira Knightly, and like a dozen awesome B-list comedians. Freaking hiliarious, and a little touching at the end. Even if there was one gigantic plot hole I could not in good conscience overlook, it was still worth it.

elSicomoro 08-22-2015 12:57 PM

I caught up on Maron recently...really enjoyed it. I wasn't the biggest fan when I first heard him on Comedy Central Radio, but he's grown on me.

DanaC 08-28-2015 03:32 PM

I like his WTF podcast. Great conversations with interesting people.

I just watched the first two episodes of Impastor. It's popped up on the current shows list on the front page of my favourite streaming site a few times now. I'd googled it and it looked mildly interesting, but it hadn't clicked with me until tonight who the lead actor is - Lex Luther off've Smallville. I loved that guy, he was awesome. So I figured I'd give it a go.

It's pretty damn cool. Very funny.

DanaC 09-09-2015 07:52 AM

Yesterday I watched the first episode of Sense8. I was a bit dubious about it, when I read the premise when it was first being talked about, and when I saw the promos, though I was also intrigued. I've been through the Lost experience since then, so the presence of Naveen Andrews became more of a pull for me.

As pilots go it was pretty impressive. It was a little difficult to follow in places, but I didn't really mind that - it gave enough context to get a hook on the story and characters and keep me interested. Unlike a lot of pilots I found myself quite quickly invested in a number of the characters. and whilst some of the mood sequences were a little overlong, I thought they did a lot of really interesting stuff in terms of visual tone. I liked the way the narrative jumped between the main characters, and how they were visually and thematically linked - really got a sense that we were moving between them in an organic fashion that, presumably, mirrors the way these people are mentally linked.

Some nicely brave choices too. A scene in which two young women shag, with Freema Agyemon wearing a strap on? That ain't something you see every day. The fact that it didn't seem gratuitous or uncouth is interesting - it was treated like any other love scene on a show. We later find out (in a really nice and low key way) that Agyemon's girlfriend is a transwoman.

What I love about this couple is that whilst them being a lesbian and transwoman is obviously a part pf who they are - a big part, as they are activists and very into the Pride scene - it's not what the show is focused on. The show is focused on the relationship between them as two people in love. It isn't treated any differently to any other love-match you might see on tv. And both are recognisable, engaging and relatable characters in a relationship that feels real and organic.

I really like the cop too. Though his storyline included some of the clumsier attempts at social commentary (or maybe clumsy is the wrong word - I liked what they were saying, but there was a bit of a sense of being clubbed over the head with it). Couldn't figure out where I'd seen him before but knew I'd seen him in something I liked. Was thinking maybe BSG? I could see him in a uniform of some sort - gave up in defeat and googled him : Stargate Universe! I remember now.

And really, really liked the Indian girl. The scene where she goes to the temple to make offerings was so well played.

So - yeah - I wasn't really expecting anything all that great with this show - but the pilot really impressed me.

Clodfobble 09-10-2015 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC
It isn't treated any differently to any other love-match you might see on tv. And both are recognisable, engaging and relatable characters in a relationship that feels real and organic.

Not sure if you caught this in the credits, but the showrunners are the Wachowskis, one of whom is transgender.

We enjoyed the series, and are eagerly awaiting season 2, but I have to admit that the Freema Agyemon character quickly became our least favorite. It's not her fault, the writers give her lots of cutesy/dingbat lines. Nothing interesting happens with her, she just keeps tagging along in her girlfriend's story.

The German thief and the Mexican soap opera star got the best storylines in the season overall, IMHO.

wolf 09-10-2015 07:06 PM

I am bingewatching Person of Interest. I find Jim Caviezel very interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

DanaC 09-11-2015 12:39 AM

Ah man - that is the way to watch POI. Possibly my favourite current show.

@ Clod: yeah, I noticed that it was the Wachowskis. I'd forgotten about Lana W.

I'm enjoying the Mexican soap opera storyline. I'm also really liking the Korean kickboxing business woman.

The cop too I find engaging.

Freema's character took a back seat in the ep I just watched. She only appeared in a flashback to her saying she'll burn the hospital down.

The actor playing her girlfriend is awesome. She totally sells the creeping horror of being confined in that room - wondering if she really is losing her mind.

Gravdigr 11-06-2015 01:30 PM

Started re-watching "NCIS" on Netflix.

I re-started with Season 1, episode 1.

Kinda fun looking back.

DanaC 11-09-2015 01:14 PM

I never tried NCIS. Used to really like the CSI shows before they'd cycled through every possible crime story. I might give NCIS a go sometime.

On my streaming *cough* service this evening, I watched Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, from last night. Awesome episode. Really quite moving. Funny, but moving and a little anger inducing.

Happy Monkey 11-09-2015 02:42 PM

That's usually the case for John Oliver.

DanaC 02-09-2016 08:11 AM

Last night I watched the second episode of DC's Legends of Tomorrow. The first episode(first part of a two episode pilot), which I watched last week left me a bit cold. I was not overly eager to continue with it. But then I figured I should at least watch the full opening story to get a sense of the show.

Second part was more watchable. A couple of the characters became a lot more relatable. I still find it hard to care about most of them though. Hawkman and Hawkgirl - jesus they were annoying as hell in Arrow, and they're annoying as hell in this. Hawkman in particular is thoroughly unlikable. They have zero chemistry. They're supposed to be ancient lovers caught in a cycle of reincarnation, ever drawn back to each other, fated to find each other and then die each time, killed by the same man that killed them the first time,and who became immortal in the process. All three of these characters are complete wank. Which is unfortunate, given that the guy who kills them is the big bad of the whole show. But back to the total lack of chemistry between Mr and Ms Hawk.: zero, nada, not a single spark. And he is so wooden. I think he only has the one facial expression or tone of voice. A kind of one situation fits all approach to acting. Not sure if he thinks this is coming across as stoic.

Spoiler below:

I was cheering when he got killed.

I think it's pretty poor fayre, though I might watch one or two more to see how it looks when it finds its groove. I'd like it to get good, because I like Arthur Darvill. But I have my doubts.

Gravdigr 02-09-2016 05:21 PM

"Hell On Wheels", "Broadchurch", "Breaking Bad"

lumberjim 02-09-2016 10:00 PM

Better call Saul

Gravdigr 02-10-2016 01:20 PM

I noticed Netflix had that. I've seen the first few episodes. It's a little vanilla, but, it may build some momentum with more episodes.

I found it hilarious that Mike is/was a parking lot attendant.

lumberjim 02-10-2016 02:00 PM

It's pretty good 6 episodes in. Mike's back story is played out now, and we see the beginning of his connection to Saul.... Who is still Jimmy at this point... I never connected Saul Goodman with S'all good, man. Until they showed his past scamming scene.

DanaC 02-10-2016 02:09 PM

Just watched the first episode of War and Peace. Really good stuff. I've never read the book. I wasn't particularly drawn to the tv adaptation, because I generally don;t much go in for period dramas - but Jan reminded me that it's a different angle on a conflict I am used to seeing from a british, or French perspective. So, I was only really watching for the Russian POV on the Napoleonic Wars - but it grabbed me straight away. Well cast, great acting, nippy dialogue and a nice deft touch to the direction.

The battle scenes are sparingly used, but my did they do a good job. Very impressive.

I got to the end of the first episode and was instantly tempted to go straight into the second episode. That's as good a sign for a show as I know.

lumberjim 02-10-2016 04:52 PM

.... aaand I'm current on that one. Shit. Only one season, 9 episodes in the bank there. Good news is that season 2 starts Monday. So next week is a big week. Sunday the 14th, The Walking Dead, Monday, it's Better Call Saul, and Thursday, Vikings!

lumberjim 02-10-2016 04:53 PM

I'm about to start Sons of Anarchy now.

footfootfoot 02-10-2016 05:12 PM

Just started Parks and Recreation

Clodfobble 02-10-2016 09:08 PM

I'm jealous of you, foot. Season one takes a bit of time to find its footing, as is true of most shows, but my god does it get good after that.

glatt 02-11-2016 07:18 AM

You just like Chris Pratt.

footfootfoot 02-11-2016 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 953310)
I'm jealous of you, foot. Season one takes a bit of time to find its footing, as is true of most shows, but my god does it get good after that.

Did season one only have 6 episodes?

Anyway, I plowed through season 2

There are some hilarious parts and the cast is great. Amy Poehler is so funny. I just watched Sisters and laughed my ass off and wanted to see more of Amy so I got Parks and Rec. It is funny that Megan Mulally, who is Nick Offerman's wife and played his wife, looks so much like Tina Fey. I thought it was her but her face was a little bit saggy and I just figured that Tina Fey had had a face lift since then,

I'm hoping it will keep me occupied until Dr. Who and Vikings, and GOT come out.

Clodfobble 02-12-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
You just like Chris Pratt.

Not until he got himself all buff, somewhere around season 5 (whatever summer it was that Guardians of the Galaxy was filming.) Season 1 Chris Pratt is super doofy.

Griff 03-04-2016 06:33 AM

I just watched the first episode of The Man on Drumpf High Castle. This looks to be holy shit level good. Here's hoping.

DanaC 03-04-2016 06:38 AM

Drumpf lol

DanaC 03-25-2016 02:16 PM

I am currently gorging on the new series of Daredevil. Oh, how I love this show. Charlie Cox is excellent. And Jon Bernthal was a great casting choice for the Punisher.

Gravdigr 03-25-2016 02:34 PM

Just finished Season One of "Better Call Saul".

I'm finding that I really like Jonathan Banks as "Mike". Never cared for him much in any other role.

Clodfobble 03-25-2016 05:39 PM

I have unwatched episodes of Louie, Halt and Catch Fire, Flaked, Walking Dead, New Girl, Jane the Virgin, Better Call Saul, Narcos, Cuckoo, House of Cards, About a Boy, and Orphan Black. And those are just the ones I'm excited about. I'll never catch up.

Happy Monkey 03-25-2016 05:49 PM

Gotta watch this week's iZombie on Hulu; for some reason my DVR failed me.

glatt 03-26-2016 09:32 PM

Just watched Groundhog Day with the kids. They had never seen it before. It's a little sappy with the love story in there, but otherwise a pretty good one.

footfootfoot 03-27-2016 04:05 PM

It's one of our favorites here. We talk about time and reincarnation and try to imagine how many tens or hundreds of thousands of times he repeated that day to not only learn piano and become familiar with all the minutia of the town but to evolve emotionally as a person.

Clodfobble 04-01-2016 10:39 AM

Technically already mentioned it in my list of shows a few days ago, but it's deserving of another mention. "Flaked" with Will Arnett is very, very, very good. I've watched the whole first season twice now. Do not go in expecting his typical character-actor silliness. It's a slow burn that is well worth the payoff.

DanaC 05-07-2016 02:01 PM

I just googled 'Flaked' - Kirstie Alley is in it? I havent seen her in anything for ages. Might give it a go, looks good.

I watched Chris Hardwick's comedy central special night before last - and again today. Best standup I've seen in ages. I laughed out loud. I highly recommend it to dwellars. Very funny.

I can only find a little clip, which is in no way the best of it. Seriously, do yourself a favour - it's brilliant.

Clodfobble 05-07-2016 03:02 PM

Kirstie Alley is only in one episode, admittedly. But she's very entertaining.

Gravdigr 05-29-2016 02:22 PM

Recently watched the BBC series "River". It's a six parter dealing with (Swedish transplant) London police Detective Inspector John River, whose (female) partner has just been murdered. He sees her and talks to her, and she talks to him, even though she's quite dead. He sees dead people.

It starts pretty slowly, painfully so at times, and I almost didn't watch any more after the first episode, but, it grew on me. Quickly. At the end of the sixth and final episode, it was over way too soon.

Starring Stellan Skarsgård and Nicola Walker.

8 out of 10

Clodfobble 05-29-2016 03:21 PM

Maria Bamford's new series "Lady Dynamite."

It's a bit absurdist, and absolutely fucking hiliarious. Mr. Clod and I are both cackling through every episode--yet if I were to try to describe any of the jokes here, they wouldn't sound funny at all. But they are, they are. You just have to watch it. Trust me.

Gravdigr 06-15-2016 09:45 AM

Just finished a three hour documentary on one of my favorite bands, "The History of The Eagles".

Positively loved it.

From how they named the band (it involves peyote buttons), to how the songs were titled/written/conceived. Just a great, great documentary.

My favorite quote:

Quote:

So, I'm riding shotgun with a drug dealer in a Corvette, on our way to a poker game...
~Glen Frey

On Netflix.

fargon 06-15-2016 08:21 PM

I'll watch it this coming winter, it's too nice to sit inside.

Gravdigr 07-05-2016 03:19 PM

Might not still be there.

It has a sunny day beat to hell anyway.

I just started watching "Nurse Jackie", on Netflix.

Pico and ME 07-05-2016 05:27 PM

ut oh Grav.......buckle in.

Gravdigr 07-07-2016 12:09 PM

Gets wild, does it?

Pico and ME 07-07-2016 12:29 PM

its a trip

Spexxvet 08-01-2016 11:22 AM

Netflix originals

Last weekend - Stranger Things

This weekend - Marcella

Undertoad 08-01-2016 11:25 AM

New MST3K will be on Netflix, it was announced.

footfootfoot 08-01-2016 11:41 AM

Awesome!

glatt 08-01-2016 12:42 PM

Luther.

It's fun, but a bit over the top.

DanaC 08-01-2016 01:01 PM

Which series you on glatt?

glatt 08-01-2016 01:36 PM

second season. with the guy with the mask.

I mean, how the hell did he get in the backseat of the car? There is no way that someone would sneak into my car when I'm sitting in the front seat. I'd hear the door open. Feel the breeze. I'd feel the car move when they put their weight in it. I'd hear the car door close.

It's entertaining, but cmon.

And there is no way a VW bus with 15 people in it is going to drive that fast and bounce over rough roads like that.

DanaC 08-01-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 965681)
New MST3K will be on Netflix, it was announced.

Fuck yeah!

DanaC 08-01-2016 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 965693)
second season. with the guy with the mask.

I mean, how the hell did he get in the backseat of the car? There is no way that someone would sneak into my car when I'm sitting in the front seat. I'd hear the door open. Feel the breeze. I'd feel the car move when they put their weight in it. I'd hear the car door close.

It's entertaining, but cmon.

And there is no way a VW bus with 15 people in it is going to drive that fast and bounce over rough roads like that.

Ya I kind of fell off a little with the second season. First season was brilliant.

elSicomoro 08-02-2016 02:22 AM

I am so far behind on my viewing...going to lose a ton of shit in our current DVR when we move. STILL haven't watched last season's Doctor Who in full.

infinite monkey 08-02-2016 11:27 AM

:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 963879)
Might not still be there.

It has a sunny day beat to hell anyway.

I just started watching "Nurse Jackie", on Netflix.

Arguably one of the best series ever. Funny, real...and Edie Falco. Plus I love the other actors. Seriously grav, stick with this one. IMHO, it never sells out, not even at the very last episode. I've watched it through twice.

So many series start out good, then fizzle. Or start out 'meh' then fizzle. That annoys me. The market is SO saturated and, they're not all good. I've tried so many that just don't 'take' with me. Nurse Jackie is up there, for me, with Six Feet Under, the Wire, Breaking Bad, Oz, and The Sopranos. There are a lot of other series I've liked, but those are the tops, to me.

And, Edie Falco. (did I repeat that out loud twice?)

Clodfobble 08-02-2016 02:47 PM

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

This show was 100% made for me. It's a musical! With twisted dark humor! And it's kind of a romantic comedy but mostly it's a farce but the characters have legitimate mental problems that they don't shy away from.

Infi, you would LOVE it. LJ, you probably would. Glatt's 50/50, I can't decide if the music would be too much or not. Everyone else, I dunno. It's pretty earnest, which is a turnoff for many.

Gravdigr 08-02-2016 03:20 PM

Binged four or five episodes (Nurse Jackie) early this morning. Just started season 3. My favorite character besides Jackie, is 'Zoey'. I love the actress that plays her, and I love the character, this is the only thing I've seen her in. I like 'Thor' a lot, too. Even the hospital administrator, Mrs. Akalitus, is growing on me.

Everyone in this thing, I like.

Except Jackie's husband. Never liked that guy in anything I've seen him in. I think it's his eyes. I wouldn't trust that guy (the actor, nor the character) any farther than I could throw a truck.

But, yeah, Nurse Jackie...:jig:

BigV 08-02-2016 10:33 PM

Trading very precious sleep time for Stranger Things.

Thanks. Netflix.

Spexxvet 08-03-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 965802)
Trading very precious sleep time for Stranger Things.

Thanks. Netflix.

Worth it

Snakeadelic 08-14-2016 08:37 AM

Just about done with the original CSI and up to about season 15 of South Park. After that, going back to DVD a while because I have the first 5 seasons of Game of Thrones to occupy me until Dr. Strange and Godzilla Resurgence hit US theaters in the fall.

elSicomoro 08-14-2016 12:03 PM

I ran through all of South Park while I was unemployed last year. I never ceased to be amazed with the creativity of Parker and Stone.

I finished season 3 of Todd Margaret last night, then I watched Tony Robbins: I Am Not Your Guru. If you watched the first 2 seasons of Todd Margaret, the 3rd one will throw you for a loop, but it's good. The Tony Robbins doc...very interesting. I was familiar with him and his work, but not very deeply. He seems to be very good at what he does.

Gravdigr 09-01-2016 03:55 PM

I just finished Nurse Jackie on Netflix.

Worst series finale EVER.

Hated, hated the way this show ended. Hated it.

It actually pissed me off.

:bitching: