The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Romney Quits Presidential Race (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16589)

aimeecc 02-07-2008 12:15 PM

Romney Quits Presidential Race

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...rssnyt&emc=rss

Romney quit. Guess its McCain for the Republicans.

aimeecc 02-07-2008 12:23 PM

This actually helps Obama. In open primary states like Virginia, you choose what party when you show up. So now the moderate republicans and independents will vote in the democratic party primary, and they will most likely vote for Obama.

Torrere 02-07-2008 12:34 PM

Wasn't Romney drawing from the 'true conservative' vote?

Are you saying the independents / moderates who would have voted for McCain will now consider that race to be in the bag and vote for Obama instead?

grassy 02-07-2008 12:35 PM

Hey i just heard that

Hey, i'm cindy. i just heard that he quit. I think your right.With Mccaine for the republicans, it should be a shoe in for the democrats. Mcc:D ain bores me to tears. I kinda like Obama, but i think Hilary is probably going to be the next president.cindy

aimeecc 02-07-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torrere (Post 430606)
Wasn't Romney drawing from the 'true conservative' vote?

Are you saying the independents / moderates who would have voted for McCain will now consider that race to be in the bag and vote for Obama instead?

Exactly. No need to vote for McCain, so pick up the democratic ballot instead and vote for Obama.

aimeecc 02-07-2008 12:42 PM

I'm thinking I should have put this in Politics, not Current Events.

Shawnee123 02-07-2008 01:17 PM

What if no one in the country votes for McCain, then?

lumberjim 02-07-2008 01:20 PM

HUCKABEE?

aimeecc 02-07-2008 01:22 PM

I'm sure enough Republicans will still vote for McCain. Most states have closed primaries, so Republicans can only vote in Republican primaries. Its only in states like Virginia, the 'Come All' primaries in which you decide when you show up which primary you'll vote in.

aimeecc 02-07-2008 01:25 PM

In theory, Romney could give his delegates to Huckabee, closing the gap between him and McCain.

Bay Buchanen, Romney's henchwoman, has repeatedly called Huckabee McCains "nasty little sidekick", claiming he has a deal with McCain to be VP, he just had to stay in the race and draw votes away from Romney. lol I saw her say this on SuperTuesday. Man, she's a vicious woman. I have no idea why Romney would pick her as a spokeswoman.

grassy 02-07-2008 01:33 PM

Huckabee?

He doesnt really bother me. He's pleasant enough. What we do need is someone with a BRAIN! I dont care who it is ,as long as they have a brain. cindy

Griff 02-07-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 430619)
HUCKABEE?

Paul?

We can at least be sure PA won't have a say in the outcome.

tw 02-07-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimeecc (Post 430610)
I'm thinking I should have put this in Politics, not Current Events.

It's after Super Bowl. Events currently happening are no longer irrelevant political speculation. Those so many leading candidates are gone. Real contenders have finally risen to the top.

tw 02-07-2008 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimeecc (Post 430622)
Man, she's a vicious woman. I have no idea why Romney would pick her as a spokeswoman.

Robert Kennedy was also a vicious man. Being vicious is not necessary bad. Directing that force defines the man.

Bay is not a spokesman. She is a political analysis - the people who define and execute political strategy. To get poltical correct answers, campaigns employee spokesman to spin facts. An interview with Bay would be insightful because it defines what is really intended and targeted by the candidate without the propaganda spin. Irrelevant is her viciousness. Only important are the strategies and objectives (and whether she is really being honest).

deadbeater 02-07-2008 09:34 PM

I still wonder why conservatives ain't fawning over Huckabee over the track-switching Romney.